Trichomes are a more important part of the cannabis plant than many realize. Essentially, the idea is to "shock" your plant in the days leading up to harvest in hopes of increasing the potency of your buds. What trichomes look like when they're ready, Customer Service Monday - Friday 8:00 - 16:00, Free Giftbag with every order above 75,-. To make a long story short, I am going to repeat the experiment with my Alaskan Thunder F*** Clones obtained from further genetics in Ann Arbor. The Perpetual Harvest: Grow Unlimited Weed. Lets see how these buds test against each other in the lab. By turning off the light for more than 12 hours, you are making the plants run on empty. Forums Gallery Calendar Guidelines . I read this recommendation in a few growing books. As such, there are several nutrient blends you can employ with a specific combination of macro and micronutrients. In theory, the darkness before harvest just stresses the plant which in turn will make the plant think it's near the end of it's life, if the plant has not be pollinated then it will increase resin production to make itself more sticky to get male pollen to stick to it. Hopefully, the result is greater levels of terpenes and cannabinoids. Why do some buds turn purple? That said, if someone could produce a multiple plant study where a gas chromatograph consistently measured higher levels in dark roomed plants, I'd would gratefully be wrong. Like I mentioned, after I get the kinks out of growing ( I've made a lot of mistakes during my first grow ) by doing a few grows first; me being me, I will probably give this idea a try, just for curiosity sake. Pics do not lie. A lot of people say a 24-48 hour dark period just before harvest is beneficial to the plant. 6 abadtrip commented 48 hour dark time before harvest Grow Cycle Harvesting flowering Rob26 August 24, 2018, 3:56am #1 Hi everyone I've been reading about 48 hrs dark time before harvest so what's everybody opinion on it pros/cons is it worth giving it ago and what's the benefits of it if it is 1 Like Drinkslinger August 24, 2018, 4:47am #2 Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. True,,but funny. 48 hrs of darkness before harvest - Do I leave the fans going? All the principles above apply to any cannabis plant, including autos. As I plant physiologist and biologist specializing in cannabis I can assure you that the "48 hour light depravation" prior to harvest is typical "street" mythology and Youtube bull. I understand how the extended dark period is "supposed" to jump start the production of trichomes, but since this is my first grow, I don't know how we'll it actually works. hcking123 5 yr. ago Hmm, harvest before lights come on. That said, the last 710 days is when you can maximise trichome production with the right know-how. Analytical cookies give us insight into how our website is used. All the research, preparation, and cannabis care cannot outweigh the importance of choosing strains with proven genetics. The cookies also ensure that we can see how our website is used and how we can improve it. One theory here, to make your weed as strong as possible, is to keep it in the dark for a few days prior to harvest but is this whole darkness before harvest theory actually true? It's by focusing on the protective nature of trichomes that growers can enhance or increase their production. When does it start to smell when growing weed? Awesome curing method with no guesswork. These 2 cannabis plants are close to harvest. Heard of it but never heard of any research proving it's effective. But Ive grown cannabis long enough to know that sometimes what seems intuitive isnt correct, which is why experiments are so helpful and powerful. For an advanced grower, monster cropping is another powerful Organic farming is such a hot topic right now for the simple We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. T Sign up for a new account in our community. Well, used to be. https://weedkb.com/dark-before-harvest/ Check out more side-by-side cannabis growing experiments. They actually function as something of a defense shield for the plant itself in nature, but theyre also the part of the plant that does most of the heavy lifting when it comes to producing the cannabinoids and terpenes that make marijuana such a desirable product. People claim this increases THC or makes the plants more "frosty". Did it work for you? About to drop a Strawberry Glue. Ill go over them. @macgyver_stoner @tdubwilly @Bogleg @myfriendis410 @covertgrower @imSICKkid They say that there is no additional benefit from more than 48 hours. We won't go into the specifics of each one; just make sure you follow the manufacturers dosing recommendations to get the best results. They also influence the character of the high through the so-called entourage effect. Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Another way to stress your plants in a (supposedly) good way is to lower nighttime air temperature. Mom supposedly was 27% THC. I can't see it being a benefit as it goes against the fundamental ,to 'grow' rule ! What makes cannabis buds harsh to smoke? dont hurt, no need to use your light on them anymore chop them after your dark days.i have ,but havent been latley,most of the time im just tired of them bitches anyway, i just harvest and move on.theres threads on here about this already look around if you dont get more opinons.juicy, if your plants are ready - ie - calyxes all swollen up fat and trichs milky with 30-40% amber then leaving them in the dark for 2 days only delays your harvest - need to leave town for a few days then sure - go for it. 2) Sugars travel to the root zone during the dark cycle to feed microbes resulting in smoother smoke. Does that mean i have to keep flushing till it reaches 290. After 48 hours of darkness right before harvesting, it smelled WAY stronger then before the darkness. Perhaps it was natural variation between the buds. Growing Weed Should Be As Easy As Smoking It, Pruning Leaves During the Vegetative Stage of Cannabis. I use the same method that nuttso posted. growingpain5 brings up some valid points hes read based on the plants biology. If there is no logical/scientific reasoning behind something, I am surely going to question it. It shuts down thinking that it is becoming winter and buds swell an THC gets stronger. Does Darkness Increase Trichome Production? Given the huge popularity of automatic strain, no wonder people keep asking if they can give a dark period before harvest to their autoflowers. Although the evidence is not 100% there, it is safe to assume that having a darkness period of at least two days prior to harvest may increase both THC and terpene levels in your weed. Now, lets keep in mind that while this is a real organization, finding the actual study is not possible. In theory, the darkness before harvest just stresses the plant which in turn will make the plant think it's near the end of it's life, if the plant has not be pollinated then it will increase resin production to make itself more sticky to get male pollen to stick to it. All the references I read recommend 48 hours for darkness at the end of the grow. I am prepared to do that real soon. Cookies ensure that you remain logged in during your visit to our online store, that all items remain in your shopping cart, that you can shop safely and that the website continues to run smoothly. Can Nutrients Make Your Weed Grow Faster? One of the leading theories as to why a darkness period before harvest increases the THC level in weed is due to a simple evolutionary mechanism. We cover everything from equipment reviews to plant health and care tips to help you along your growing journey. Is 24/36/48 hours not enough? (No, but hempy buckets are great!). (I know it sounds stupid to ask about chlorophyll but hey something has to go in the magic soup, right? In a greenhouse, supplemental lighting need be used only to extend daylength, while the sun supplies the energy needed for growth and THC biosynthesis. Starting with a marijuana strain you know delivers excellent results, combined with the techniques above, is the best way to maximise trichome production. Instead, a few simple changes throughout the vegetative and flowering stages can maximise trichome production, helping your resinous buds reach their full potential. Just some good info I haven't seen on this site before. During the day, when the air is hot, some terpenes may evaporate or be damaged by UV rays, but during the night time, those terpenes get a chance to recover and increase in number. SARASOTA Earth's Ally, a company that sells a natural line of organic gardening products, has started a new . Changing grout colors light to dark or dark to light may require an extra application. There are actually some compelling theories explaining why it happens. They say by complete darkness for 48 hrs. My soil was damp when I started and it was bone dry when I cut the plant up. Extending the dark period is even better. If you are growing your own weed, and it is coming time to harvest, you want to do everything in your power to ensure that your weed is as potent as possible. Keeping your plants in the dark for 48 hours before a harvest helps to increase the production in the trichomes and thus increases the overall potency of your marijuana crop. Mere days away from harvesting your ripe buds, two final techniques stand between you and success. (you can easily confirm this one for yourself with a sniff test). Yes please enlighten me on the science behind that. Bag Seed vs Hype Seed: Is it worth it to buy cannabis seeds? It reaches the peak at the end of the dark period (night), and then cannabinoids get partly degraded by light during the day. Another theory says that such a reaction to extended darkness is an evolutionary mechanism. Youd be fucking with her hormones that can do strange things like throw nanners with more than 3 days of darkness. (and why that might or might not be a good thing). Thanks for the great info @jmystro, incredibly helpful. As always, I could be wrong, but I believe the whole "48 hrs of dark to increase resin/quality" is a misconception based on partial truth. 420 Magazine . On the contrary, they make it harsh and the taste unpleasant. Conclusion: Should I Harvest In The Dark or Light? Some growers have shared stories of how they had to leave their plants in dark for 4-5 days and sometimes 1 week and even more. With a well-established nutrient routine and one (or several) well-positioned lights, your cannabis plants are going from strength to strength. Preference cookies allow a website to remember information that influence on the behavior and design of the website. I took this from another forum, forgive me. I would believe that 10-30 years ago when there was a lot of myths and BS regarding growing that people might have said this from time to time after hearing a hot tip from Dave down the pub . While darkness helps preserve terpenes, photosynthesis helps create them. However, if you block the cookies, you may not be able to enjoy all the technical features our website has to offer and this may negatively impact your user experience. What do you guys think about giving plants 48 hours of darkness just prior to harvest. 48 hours before harvest Mere days away from harvesting your ripe buds, two final techniques stand between you and success. This signals to the plants that they better hurry if they want to produce seeds before winter. 4) Sugars/starches recede from the plant to the root zone while in dark cycle resulting in a better tasting/burning bud For anyone still on this thread. Cannabis is a plant that depends on at least some period of darkness to properly cultivate. What Causes Cannabis Leaves to Get Dry or Crispy? During the day, when the air gets warm and sometimes hot, part of the terpenes evaporate.