Lance told Lynch after the Niners drafted him, Garoppolo was one of the first people to reach out. San Francisco 49ers news fromFanSided Daily, SF 49ers free agency: Re-signing Richard Sherman doesnt make sense, SF 49ers: Ranking top 5 needs in 2021 NFL Draft, SF 49ers: Kyle Shanahan hints he'd be open to mobile quarterbacks, Larry Fitzgerald Redid His Will After Contracting Coronavirus, SF 49ers: 5 players who could be surprise cuts this offseason, SF 49ers need Jimmy Garoppolo, George Kittle for a playoff run, SF 49ers NFL Draft: 6 quarterbacks to target who aren't Zach Wilson. The use of any team names, words, trademarks, logos or photos have been used for descriptive purposes only. He studied, he practiced, he executed. But those two players arent exactly cheaper options, and the SF 49ers have plenty of their own salary-cap restraints for 2021. 2004-2023 CBS Interactive. Garoppolo is an unrestricted free agent for the first time since his first offseason with the team. None of this is a knock on Lance. In fact, last season they were offered a chance at taking future Hall of Fame QB Tom Brady, but they decided against it, most likely because Jimmy G. has a lot more left in him than Brady who is en route to retirement. A lot more goes into the decision on Jimmy G. than just Shanahans thoughts; Niners general manager John Lynch gets the last word. But much has happened since Shanahan first said, "I expect Jimmy to be our starter next year," on Nov. 17 of last year. New offseason, old question: What will 49ers do at quarterback? READ NEXT: Kyle Shanahan Tells Robert Saleh He Cant Take 49ers Coaches With Him, NFL Insider Can Envision 49ers Without Jimmy Garoppolo in 2021, Please review our privacy policy here: https://heavy.com/privacy-policy/, Copyright 2023 Heavy, Inc. All rights reserved. Or if they made a bad decision and then got incredibly lucky with their final pick in 2022 to cover for their mistake. Go exciting and amplify that running game with a guy who can get out wide and get weird in the NFC West and go win it.. Still, the stark contrast between games in which Garoppolo has started compared to games where he hasnt is awfully telling. So, we'll leave it at that.". That's why he's got a chance to come back this week. "With Jimmy, it's about getting back on the field for him and that's why he had a lot more fun last week getting out there. Without Jimmy G, the 49ers have been worse than the Jets. Garoppolo has not played a game since and the 49ers made a franchise-altering trade with the Miami Dolphins on March 26, sending the No. At the same time, Shanahan certainly understands his other Niners quarterbacks aside from Jimmy G havent had anything close to the kind of success one would require to be a playoff contender. All Access Digital offer for just 99 cents! Now general manager John Lynch is echoing similar sentiments. Perhaps in the case of Garoppolo, Shanahan and the SF 49ers, its the proverbial devil you know.. One of the most notable, though not surprising, things that Lynch said was something about Trey Lance. With both Brock Purdy and Trey Lance coming off injury, they could rotate QBs once again in 2023. It has a. Finally we have Jimmy Garoppolo, the reliable, oft-criticized hand who might give this team the best chance to win right now. Lance and Purdy are on cheap rookie deals. Assessing Browns' FA needs. San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo (10) drops back to pass against the Kansas City Chiefs in . The Raiders come to mind considering the talent they have entering the post-Carr era; the Tampa Bay Buccaneers make sense as they look to remain contenders following Tom Brady's latest retirement; and the New Orleans Saints, New York Jets and Washington Commanders all had top-10 defenses in terms of DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average) at Football Outsiders but were handcuffed by poor and/or inconsistent quarterback play in 2022. After running through NFC Playoffs, the 49ers surged to a 10 point fourth quarter lead against the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl. He grabbed it. 49ers record without jimmy garoppolo The San Francisco 49ers have a record of 28-61 without Jimmy Garoppolo all-time. Brady left New England after the 2019 season. All Rights Reserved. Its easy to dismiss Jimmy G as a long-term fixture. General manager John Lynch hit the right notes Tuesday while addressing Brock Purdys status at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Fewest games to 10,000 passing yards with the. Jimmy Garoppolo #10 and Head Coach Kyle Shanahan of the San Francisco 49ers (Photo by Michael Zagaris/San Francisco 49ers/Getty Images). New offseason, old question: What will 49ers do at quarterback? Purdy was a revelation off the bench late in 2022, showcasing veteran-level poise in a 7-1 run as starter, but he's facing an ambiguous timetable for recovery from elbow surgery. Head coach Kyle Shanahan was already clear in saying he didnt see a scenario where the veteran quarterback would be back with the 49ers for a seventh season. Purdy has already shown he can succeed with little or no game preparation. All of which might make it easy to forget that the NFC's highest-rated qualified passer from the 2022 season will become a free agent on March 15. The Denver Broncos traded for veteran Teddy Bridgewater to go with Drew Lock. Theres one more sign pointing to Jimmy Garoppolos exit from San Francisco. This is the type of move that we saw the 49ers make in 2011 with Alex Smith. "It was I think a testament to the commitment of our ownership," Lynch said. But Purdys mobility added a bootleg element that didnt exist with the immobile Garoppolo. We better have a very good answer if you're going to find something better than that because Jimmy has shown in one year that he's the guy who can take us to the Super Bowl and I also think that Jimmy is going to get a lot better the more he plays.". Garoppolo was one of the first people to reach out, Covered Rams for nine years for stlouisrams.com, Previously covered University of Missouri football, Member of Pro Football Writers of America. Age: 31. When asked whether Garoppolo would still be on the team the day after the draft ended, Shanahan said, "I can't guarantee that anybody in the world will be alive Sunday, so I can't guarantee who will be on our roster.". Jimmy Garoppolo, Nick Bosa, Trent Williams and Dre Greenlaw discussed the team's week of practices in Colorado, previewed the 49ers Week 11 matchup against the Arizona Cardinals and praised the . Naturally, that trade again cast doubt on Garoppolo's future in San Francisco, which reached fever pitch on April 26 when Shanahan bungled what was meant to be a playful interaction with a reporter. Growing up a 49ers fan, the longtime Patriots star was alsobriefly on Lynch's radar in 2020, when Brady tested free agency and ultimately landed with the Buccaneers. Because we very much believe in who he is as a person and who he is as a quarterback.. We picked bold, outside-the-box moves for every NFL team, Montana SB jersey breaks Brady's auction record, 49ers All-Pro Nick Bosa will 'break the entire bank,' but it might take time, Predicting the 2023 starting QB for all 32 NFL teams, from the locks to the wild cards, A new home for Michael Thomas? The comments came after an admission that the 49ers could seek additional QB help in free agency. "First of all, with Jimmy, Jimmy has been tremendous for us," Lynch said. Is Lance fast enough to get to the boundary like Jalen Hurts or Josh Allen on running plays rather than exclusively sticking his nose inside where 300-pound tackles are waiting for him? He suffered multiple high-ankle sprains that kept him out of the lineup for nearly three quarters of the season. He seemed to connect with his teammates and there are no red flags concerning his character. See trending In 2022 alone, they started three different players under center en route to an NFC title bid. McShay's favorite pick for all 32 teams There are certainly Jimmy Gs limitations, and the total chatter about San Francisco offboarding its starting quarterback this offseason has plenty of merits. But look at Jimmy, look at what he's done. We still dont know. Despite the quarterback's injury woes, Shanahan trusts that, when healthy, Garoppolo is the best option for San Francisco going forward. Will the Dolphins get a veteran QB? "But it would be a very tough situation if Jimmy's not on our team.". In fact, we're talking about the sixth-highest-rated qualified passer in NFL history. That combined with some of the on-field tumult throughout his 4.5 years in . Garoppolo reached the 10,000 passing yards mark on the 49ers' second drive of the game on a seven-yard pass to wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk. It could be just before the season or during it if there's an injury elsewhere (ala the Eagles trading Sam Bradford to the Vikings after Bridgewater's injury in 2016). Looking at the Raiders' 2023 QB options. The 49ers cannot use the franchise tag on him. Whether they decide that or not, there are going to be a lot of tempting options out there for them to at least consider. There was an expectation hed be traded last season, but a shoulder injury derailed those plans, so he restructured his contract to stay with the club for one more season. Powered by. The San Francisco 49ers mortgaged the future earlier this year for first-round draft pick Trey Lance, a quarterback who will replace the incumbent, Jimmy Garoppolo. "You look into every avenue and you see if there's something out there that can get you a ton better," Shanahan said. Would love your thoughts, please comment. ", 2021 NFL draft coverage All 259 picks | Every team's class The content and information from other sites is the property of their respective owners. 32 NFL players who could change teams this offseason. Jimmy Garoppolo is 39-18 with the 49ers in his career. Fans . Tampa Bay GM Jason Licht didn't rule out Brady making a second annual return from retirement, for what it's worth, telling reporters Wednesday he'd leave a "flashlight" on at Bucs facilities if the QB changes his mind. Who had the most wins as a favorite last season? Whether Garoppolo strings along an inspiring and healthy, series of practices over the next few days, the signs, and Shanahan, are trending towards a 2021 season return for the quarterback. Height: 6-2. Beathard triumvirate of last year. So we'll play that [quarterback competition] by ear, but I expect Jimmy to be here and I'd be surprised if he wasn't. And in general, quarterback wins are a silly stat. A new home for Michael Thomas? Since Shanahan became head coach, San Francisco's record when Garoppolo has started is 35-16 (including the playoffs). Nothing can happen with Jimmy G for a couple more weeks. NAME GP REC W% CMP ATT PCT YDS . So, theyve been pretty good with him, and if they were going to move on, I think it would take some sort of compelling option, whatever that would be, and those are not easy to come by. "He was a teammate for about three weeks at one point (in 2008), so I sent him a text, just (saying) congratulations on one of the greatest careers that I've ever seen in any sport, and I wished him the best. The Baltimore Ravens will soon likely have to hit Jackson with the franchise tag to prevent the 2019 MVP from becoming an unrestricted free agent later this month, Rodgers' future with the Green Bay Packers is undecided as he contemplates his next move, and Carr is already on the market following his release from the Las Vegas Raiders. Lance, meanwhile, was drafted No. "Jimmy has handled it well. In his first, and only, full season as an NFL starter, he led San Francisco to a 13-win Super Bowl run in 2019. Getty 12 pick as well as first and third-round choices in 2022 and a first-round selection in 2023 in exchange for the No. What will define Eric Bieniemy's success? But if they feel that the injuries are just too much to handle and they need to move on, Ive talked to many coaches and coordinators around the league who believe Kyle Shanahan, one of the brilliant offensive minds in the game, should go all out on a young, athletic QB instead of going the veteran route, trading for a Kirk Cousins or a Matt Ryan. Shanahan: Niners-Jimmy G split likely in 2023, Let's play out the NFL offseason QB market: We made offers and chose landing spots for Carr, Garoppolo, Young, Is Brock Purdy a lock to start at QB for the 49ers in 2023 -- and beyond? Robinson believes Garoppolo is what one such team, the Panthers, If it wasn't clear by head coach Kyle Shanahan's comments on February 1 that the Jimmy Garoppolo era with the San Francisco 49ers was over, general manager John Lynch made it clear today. "I know this coaching staff and the guys in the quarterback room are going to push me and help me compete and help me learn," Lance said. Dear Abby: I love my wife but I think I better get divorced, Bobcat seen using Highway 17 wildlife crossing hours after it opens, Harriette Cole: She has gone too far with the remote work option, Dear Abby: My wife said she doesn't like it, but it's part of my life, Miss Manners: I felt bad that they all skipped her baby shower -- and then I found out why, Drought is now over in more than half of California, including the Bay Area, feds say, Ask Amy: I feel guilty for not speaking up about my co-worker's activities, Kurtenbach: An unlikely combo could prove huge for the Warriors down the stretch, Wife of popular Wild 94.9 radio host JV says new information suggests 'he will not be coming back', California extends Bay Area tax deadlines to match IRS, As Adderall shortage continues, DEA plans to limit some telemedicine prescriptions, House where JonBenet Ramsey was found dead listed for sale for almost $7M, Columbia University permanently drops SAT, ACT admissions requirement, The Waterbed Doctor: California retailer lays claim to retro bed with nearly 40 years of service, sales, Felonious Florida podcast: Missing teenage girl leads to several cases of child sex trafficking, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. That record breaks a team. San Francisco 49ers' quarterback situation without Jimmy Garoppolo. TEAM DATE TM OPP RESULT REC W% TD 1DWN OFF OPP OFF 3DWN% 4DWN% San Francisco 49ers: 9/10/2017: SF. To see how far Garoppolo has fallen, you need to go back and watch the quarterback that played the last five games of 2017. . However, any of those arent going to be a real upgrade either. (Almost) all he does is win, mainly because he (almost) never makes killer mistakes. Despite his success, 49er fans have come to expect at. But that doesn't mean he's just a custodian, either. But Shanahan hasn't been able to win without Jimmy G. Are the SF 49ers and head coach Kyle Shanahan dead set on . The eyes of the football world are currently on the NFL Scouting Combine, with a particular focusas usualon the first-round-caliber quarterbacks who will either throw or not throw but will all be present in Indianapolis. Shanahan acknowledged he "bombed" that answer to the point he immediately called Garoppolo to explain. What Purdy did wasnt mystical or magical. ESPNs Jeremy Fowler feels it would only make sense to go younger and it wouldnt be such a bad choice when looking at this years 2021 draft class stacked with top QBs featuring Floridas Kyle Trask or BYUs Zach Wilson. There's one more sign pointing to Jimmy Garoppolo's exit from San Francisco. 3 overall in 2021 and take Lance is a decision which can pay dividends with a dual-threat quarterback of the future. For those who want to point to his record, yes, it is very good, but you need to take a look at who Garoppolo is now. Garoppolo doesn't put up gaudy numbers but the 49ers win while he is under center, his record is 31-14 as the starter for the 49ers. Kiper's draft grades for every team Round 1: Kiper | McShay | NFL Nation As the 2020 regular NFL season comes to an end, more speculation on whether or not the 49ers are going to keep Jimmy Garoppolo heats up. So, I think theres definitely a chance that Jimmy could be back as the quarterback of this team.. Between the draft, free agency, and trade options, the 49ers might find themselves in a position to want to reconsider. Or the Niners look to the draft to grab a rookie to sit behind Jimmy G.. Shanahans win-loss mark is 22-8 in games where Garoppolo was the starter. He's 31 years old and in the midst of what is likely his prime, his teams are 40-17 when he serves as the starting quarterback and he's coming off an excellent season. Having a quarterback like Garoppolo take up $25.5 million makes the situation untenable. The San Francisco 49ers were 7-26 without Jimmy Garoppolo between the 2017 and 2020 seasons. It happened, it was real, and it was evident the first time he played in a game that really mattered when he stared down repeated heavy blitzes against Miami. Get Morning Report and other email newsletters. 1,104: 1,632: 67.6: 13,599: 8.3: 238.6: 82: 5.0: 42: 2.6: 115: 769: 99.2: Explore. Here are their options. Jimmy Garoppolo will be out of San Francisco within the next 11 months. It's unlikely to be back with the San Francisco 49ers. But could one of those QBs be Tom Brady? He has to get out there and play. Who has the most career 300 passing yard games? [51] He recorded 334 passing yards, one touchdown, and one interception in a 26-16 victory over the Houston Texans in Week 14. As the 2020 regular NFL season comes to an end, more speculation . He is there for the Patriots' taking . Now instead of splitting reps with Purdy in some sort of pseudo-competition, Lance gets to run the show on his own. If any of those squads lands Garoppolo and he can put together a healthy season or two in the years to come, it won't regret taking a shot at one of the most underappreciated free agents the league has ever seen. Since joining San Francisco, the 49ers own a 22-8 record with Garoppolo as the starter (24-9 including the postseason). What team had the best over/under record last year? He did great things. Jimmy G will cost considerably more as a free agent, but has his fair share of supporters including Niners great Joe Montana. The 49ers' recent massive trade to move to the third overall spot to take a . The browser you are using is no longer supported on this site. Regardless, Lance and Garoppolo seem fairly comfortable with the current setup, a good sign for the Niners given the possible repercussions of a looming quarterback controversy. But theres one telling stat that jumps out when looking at Shanahan and the SF 49ers with Garoppolo under center compared to when hes not there: the record. The San Francisco 49ers have an enigmatic situation with quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. Brock got that opportunity this year. 3 pick in this year's draft. "Because that would be, I think, very stressful for us, because Jimmy's a very good player and I think we can win with him. Sure. In the right offense, with an adept offensive coach capable of utilizing his skill set the way guys like Josh McDaniels and Kyle Shanahan have, it's clear Garoppolo has the ability to start for a Super Bowl team. Garoppolo has not played a game since and the 49ers made a franchise-altering trade with the Miami Dolphins on March 26, sending the No. Will Jimmy Garoppolo continue as the starting quarterback of the Niners in 2021?