Very interesting to see the evolution of one of the best off roaring vehicles ever! I was just in pure awe of what Jason has created. Yes, you read that right. Hey there. Back in 2018, when we first featured their rock sliders, we brought up the idea of an RSG Offroad interview and overview on the T40R. Cheers, Toby! The 3rd Gen 4Runner did keep the rear hatch with roll down window like the 2nd Gen 4Runner. Nice job. Radiator: Stock Toyota 4Runner, core size 20"W x 19"T x 2"D. Fan: 16" Clutched mechanical fan. This doesnt really come into play unless you are looking at long travel suspension lift kits and are seriously looking for a wide range of travel. 1999 was the first year of a slight redesign on the 3rd gen (different bumper, hood scoop, and small cabin changes). There are Straight-Axle Swap kits available for them as well, similar to the 1st Gen 4Runner kits. The build is sponsored by Summit so it's mostly summit stuff. As I can commonly put this, KDSS (Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System) is a system of hydraulic lines that stabilize your 4Runner on-road and senses when wheels drop or you have slippage off-road. Whats your favorite Rock Slider you offer? Just lookour overview of the TRD Pro over the TRD Off-Road and decide for yourself. Thank you for the 4Runner love! Its hard to pick just one so Ill name a few: We will most likely do some crazy things to the 6th Gen 4Runner when its available. Here's my logic so far.. Theres TONS of swap info out there. This makes them very special. I guess I might have to take some measurements to see if it's possible to keep the front drivetrain. Prior to that, we had a 4th Gen 4Runner v6 with a 3 kit with 33s. We brought up the idea long before Jason (the founder of RSG Offroad and RSG Metalworks) swapped a 5.7L V8 into this beast known as the T40R. Im considering this too. I believe these should have had a V8 option or at least a V8 option on the top-tier TRD Off-Road and TRD Pro models. We Cover The Basics To Get You Started! V8s however, can only be found in the 2003-2009 models. The new driveline options are the not so common 2.7l 4cyl and the well known 3.4l 6cyl. Yeah, thats the prob. Picture Credit: Most of these photos were shot and edited by RSG Metalworks employees and fellow Toyota owners; David Todd aka @TrailboundT4R, and Ryan Strate aka @RyanStratePhoto. No Hassle Returns. Ryan Gibbons (@gibburnz) 2011 Trail Edition 3. Clinton Saephan (@amg_t4r) 2016 Trail Edition 4. Yeah I wasn't expecting the Engine ECM to be the same. The downfall is travel. Super sleek and look you can make them look mean! I did the 3.4 swap and am happy with it. And then RSG Off-Road & RSG Metalworks Started? If you have any questions for RSG or the T40R, you can find them all over Instagram. The rectangular sealed beam lights and swing gate spare tire carrier are cool AF, and the second gen fenders have an almost flared/muscular look to them. But, may we say the factory Independent Front Steering/Suspension (IFS) handles off Road well in 1st Gen 4Runners and all other 4Runner Gens as well. The data transmission rate should be same, and CAN IDs for the modules are probably the same. If you really want to step things up with your 5th Gen, you should consider an adjustable suspension system. A General Overview of the3rd Gen Toyota 4Runner (1996-2002), 3rd Gen 4Runner Shot Cred: @4RunninDownaDream. Wondering if anyone has knowledge on engine swap possiblities for a 4Runner.. like an earlier model.. early 90's I'm thinking.. Then do a 3.4 swap if you want to keep it toyota or a 7mgte motor. Got those mixed up. This interview has been in the works for quite some time. Head over here and chime in with your recommendations! Out of 5 generations, the 4th Gen is the only one to have a V8 engine. This keeps all systems functioning properly. Instead of a 4cyl being the smaller engine you now have the choice of a 4.0 6cyl or the sought after 4.7l v8. The 4.0 6cyl4th Gen 4Runner does not have any major issues but always be sure to thoroughly look it over. Average Time To Ship Is 5-7 Business Days, 10-23 4Runner aFe Momentum GT Cold Air Intake System (Pro 5R), 03-23 4Runner aFe Momentum GT Cold Air Intake System (Pro DRY S Filter), 10-23 4Runner aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si Cold Air Intake System (Pro 5R), 10-23 4Runner aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si Cold Air Intake System (Pro DRY S), 10-23 4Runner aFe Silver Bullet Throttle Body Spacer, 10-23 4Runner aFe Silver Bullet Throttle Body Spacer (Not compatible w/ Momentum GT Intakes), 10-23 4Runner K&N 63 Series AirCharger Air Intake System, 10-23 4Runner K&N 33 Series High-Flow Air Filter. LIGHTDIMS Original Strength - Light Dimming LED Covers and Light Dimming Sheets for Routers, Electronics and Appliances and More. The only major problem that we experienced with the3rd Gen 4Runner was the brakes. Its Toyota solid axle conversion kits are user-friendly and affordable, packed with all the parts you need to perform your upgrade. Glad to hear it. Its like an evil villain and Jason started drinking some beers, had a few too many, and the T40R was created. The only time I was left stranded was when the original alternator failed with 187000 miles on it the brushes literally wore out. 2016 Olathe Toyota Parts Center. Just letting you know that the 1st gen 4runner also has a power roll down back window as well. Just a good note to think about. pats for sale as well, 92 fourrunner swap 3.0 L standard Engine Swap compatibility. Brian, Yeah, I remember that about my 3rd gen, the brakes sucked. We finally got to catch up with Jason at his shop in Lakewood, CO, to see the T40R spoiler alert, it was so freaking rad! This 5th Gen 4Runner is not only running straight axles on 40 mud terrains but also features a blown Tundra V8. 4L60 variant trans. Jason and his team at RSG Offroad run a pretty successful Off-road service and installation shop in Lakewood, CO. With this being said, you are going to need more than a basic suspension upgrade that comes stock on an off-the-lot model. If you want to be sure that your head gasket is solid, FIRST, get your local dealer to run your VIN and see if the recall was done. I actually found RSG on this site a few years ago and bought a set of sliders from an old post. Full Howe hydraulic assist steering custom built with the pump, steering box, ram, and cooler. gen. unless you go to the top of the line model and then you get stuck with a bunch of expensive and unnecessary stuff. Just a heads up for the 5th gen TRD Off Road. POSTED ON FEBRUARY 23, 2023 BY BRENAN GREENE backwoods adventure mods DRIFTR ROOF RACK Lightweight, Without Compromise Introducing the all-new DRIFTR roof rack from Backwoods starting at only $975. with a 4L80E into his 1st gen tacoma and turbos it. My hope is later this year. Copyright 2023 Trail4Runner.com Trail Made Co. |, but the 3.0 has many issues with a common head gasket issue due to the exhaust drying them out. We will say the factory Independent Front Steering/Suspension (IFS) handles Off-Road well in 2nd Gen 4Runner like it does in the 1st Gen 4Runner and the later generations as well. Phone Finder. ButKolton5543has some even more interesting suggestions that also involve off-brand engines. Some exceptions apply, please see individual product pages for specific fitments. Just got my first 4th gen 4Runner with less than 100K. Totally stoked! This dude can seriously build a 4Runner. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Would like avenue to get expanded front fenders. This is the first generation of 4Runner where they introduced 4 doors. The 22re engine stayed unkillable as long as it was properly maintained but the 3.0 has many issues with a common head gasket issue due to the exhaust drying them out. You'll be able to keep your current trans/t-case combo in the same location. If you dont want to swap out (or cant get) the rad support, youll have to cut new mounting holes in the rad support, (not too bad, I guess) and find a way to mount the sealed beam headlights Thatll be the hard part, because they need to be adjustable youll need to get all the mounting hardware and bezels and hope theres meat enough to mount them. . Like many new 4Runner owners, I, Overview Of Snow Chains For The 5th Gen 4Runner: What Are The Different Types & What Might Best Suit Your Needs Snow chains are a bit of a mixed bag, We Asked 8 Owners Why They Added Exterior MOLLE Panels To The Rear Window Of Their 5th Gen 4Runner Heres What They Said! M24 x 1.5 RH thread Fan Hub. Will RSG plan on Diff Skids, LCA Skids, or Other Products? Asmuddpiggpoints out, a Chevy swap might be cheaper, but there are other considerations that should be taken into account as well. For those who only need to get from point A to point B and take their 4Runner off-road sparingly, the 3.0L will probably do just fine. Or, you can find a 1st Gen 4Runner for sale with a blown motor that you dont want to replace or because you have a 350/302 or 3rd Gen 4Runner 3.4l laying around and it would be cheaper. The2nd Gen 4Runner is a very popular choice for an Off-Road vehicle for many reasons. Are the front wheel liners the same? While the 4Runner isn't known for its stock power levels, these engine upgrades allow you to squeeze out a bit more horsepower and torque without breaking your bank. After youve swapped out your engine, be sure to visit our website for a wide selection of quality OEM parts, even for older 4Runners. Our maiden adventure to Yellowstone was excellent. It was the easiest for me to work on, but then again I have been driving it forever now so. The 5th Gen 4Runner can be purchased in a variety of models including; classic SR5, Trail, TRD Pro, TRD Off-Road, and Limited which are all great for Off-Road. Features and benefits of both for sure but god damn is a Toyota dependable. Great article! I used to have a 3rd gen and I will always love that simple body style that Toyota made, but the new ones are pretty dang sexy.Love these photos too! Its pretty great. What is the best year? It really has to be THE best 4Runner in history. Plus I have their rock sliders and theyve held up perfect. But dont let the 4.0 fool you. I got my first 2nd gen for $300 with a blown engine. The more I think about it, the less I think I want to go through the trouble. Great article with tons of information!! With all the write ups online I think Ill tackle wiring myself with plug andplayharness. The big gotchas are the timing belt on the V8 and brake master cylinder assembly are expensive to replace. I will always love the 3rd genearations. JC, glad that you like it. We even carry a handful of superchargers that allows you to further enhance and tune the way your engine performs. My first 4runner was a 1998, SR5 V6 that sold me on Toyota quality and reliability. Toyota to Debut Future Toyota Adventure Concept in L.A. An Off-Road Overview of the1st Gen Toyota 4Runner (1984-1989). Then there are you off-road enthusiasts. This Weeks Topic: 4Runner Rear Window Gullwings, KTJO 4X4 Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Upgrade For 5th Gen (2010+) Toyota 4Runner: Improved Ergonomics & Aesthetics With A Factory Fit Install & Impressions The never-ending list of modern, ARB Twin Compressor Behind the Grille Mounting Bracket on a 5th Gen 4Runner: Hidden On-Board Air Solution Weve covered many onboard air topics here on the site, but this is, Helpful Accessories & Mods To Consider For A Safer, Better & More Comfortable Experience While Towing With Your Toyota 4Runner The Toyota 4Runner isnt necessarily a vehicle that comes to, The Mox Motors Custom Topographic Windshield Wipers: Add A Subtle But Unique Update To Your 5th Gen 4Runner Overall Impressions Windshield wiper blades are boring theyre a necessary, Easily Mount Air Compressor Or Switch Panel Equipment With The C4 Engine Bay Accessory Tray For The 5th Gen 4Runner Install & Review C4 has released its version of, The Rago Fabrication Aqua Tank Washer Fluid Reservoir Relocate For The 5th Gen 4Runner Installation & Review Popular mods such as high clearance viper cuts, upgrading to a super, KC Cyclone V2 DIY Under Hood Light Kit Wired to 12-Circuit Switch in Cabin on the 5th Gen 4Runner While I was upgrading my switch set-up on Jade I decided, What Are The Top Products On The Market For A 5th Gen 4Runner Budget Overland Setup? And every Generation now. The most difficult part to source for this swap is the bell housing. Also had a 1990 pickup with a 22RE, and I can tell you those engines are not unkillable. The 3rd Gen 4Runner only came in a 4 door option unlike the previous generations, so the 3rd Gen 4Runner is 100% SUV. Now if the 1st Gen 4Runner isnt something you fancy but you still want an older 44 to go Off-Roading in, the 2nd Gen 4Runner is for you. Thx for sharing. I recently dropped my tranny and t-case (w56 with dual 228s). Make the truck a new experience. Wow super in depth breakdown of each 4Runner generation! When can we expect a T-Case and Crossmember Skid Plate? http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/toyota_info.htm, http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/toyota_info.htm#EngineSwaps, Camry 3rd and 4th Gen '92-'01, Solara '99-'03, Camry 5th and 6th Gen '02-'11, Solara '04-'08, Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013). It has gotten a lot of attention but particularly from the 4th gen 4Runner owners. A General Overview of the2nd Gen Toyota 4Runner (1989-1995). Theres a reason why Toyota has such a reputation for quality, and their trucks will run for a very long time. New 2nd Gen owner. While replacing LS1 in CJ7 on a bud's ride, was thinking would it fit in my 3rd gen 4x4. Also, most of the younger generation with a modded out 4Runner did it wrong which may give you problems, but not always. 20 years old and just under 200K, they build them GOOD in Japan! There are many fabrication companies that make stunning products for the 2nd Gen 4Runner. The A760F transmission shares everything except one clutch function, the solenoid set on the bottom, and possibly the ECU? While I was in Denver, I wanted to at least find the time to stop by RSG Offroad and say whats up. Id also avoid sunroofs on older models.KISS keep it simple stupid. Of course, price and availability play a big role. RSG Offroad is their service and installation shop with a parts showroom and RSG Metalworks is the company that produces all their branded armor; rock sliders, skid plates, etc. I think that a really necessary mod for the 3rd gen 4Runner is the swap for a 2001 Tundra front brake set (199 mm).