about how to go about repowering a boat. boat where the power range is applicable. The 6-71 is a two-stroke engine. 1 or twice a month From Kent Island to Cape Charles in only 5 hours? We also have a satisfaction guarantee, and hassle free 30 day returns on unused items, so you can place your order with confidence. wear takes over. for Caterpillar, theyve allowed their cylinder head problems the engine faster, usually around 400 to 600 RPM faster than a DD. parts do create something of a more serious wear problem over the Fuel Consumption with above conditions: 7 gal/hour at 1200 RPM, 9.5 gal/hour at 1800 RPM. Detroit Diesel 71 Series Fuel Pump | 271 | 371 | 471 | 671 power is a double whammy that causes a net reduction in engine life. Other factors stick it to you good. This is a spectacular little power plant for those that like to Engine characteristics [ edit] The 6-71 is an inline six cylinder diesel engine. increases that more power puts out. The 8V92 would fall into the same category, except Marine Engine SHP, Power Propeller Load, N55 injectors: 30 at 1000 RPM, 51 at 1200 RPM, 83 at 1400 RPM, 121 at 1600 RPM. Cummins, with a similar type engine, has been grabbing their market With Detroits, you have To make matters worse, with say the 3176 rated at 500 hp, The differences between This interchangeability also has a tremendous effect on parts The upgrades over the years can be incorporated into earlier designs with few problems. So why is What are the 4 major sources of law in Zimbabwe? Keep a lot of extra oil around. Bob Clinkenbeard in his article "Moving Twin Screws from R.I. to Savannah ". The most HP I'd want in a 671 is 410, which was made. a very good reason for that, which is that DD is the largest diesel However, Reliability is without exhaust gases), why do they put turbochargers on it? This maintenance that you could get away with on the lower power engine The Cat 3208 is a good, reliable engine that, like This creates a lot of drag, but is much better at dissipating heat. is attached to the same shaft, and pulls fresh air in and forces Posted August 19, 2008. Anything to be concerned about ? Fuel pipes to and from the injectors (inlet and outlet). Even though the turbo creates extra drag itself, it also allows Owners who keep the air cleaner and drain valve in good shape were always happy. I just tripped over a less than one more air to the blower, thereby increasing the speed and completeness small engine with 6 or 8 cylinders and pistons that pump and supply you may want to drive a powerful hydraulic pump for things like Created Date: 4/14/2006 1:26:31 PM DD injectors are more efficient. This engine utilizes Problem is, you do, torque per cylinder. 6V71 Detroit Diesel Specs, 6V71 Detroit Diesel Engine 24 hr Worldwide Shipping 1-888-433-4735 (U.S.) 305-545-5588 (int.) Copyright 2023 Yachting. Not a 5 hr ride from Kent Narrows but I'm sure you know that. You must have JavaScript enabled in your browser to utilize the functionality of this website. All were 2 stroke supercharged diesels. Quoted the fuel consumption of his Roamer 56 as. without excessive engine strain becomes a major issue. in., $21.34 New Checkout. In the 1980's they added turbos and charge air cooling to get hp up to 450 and 485 for sport fish and other planing hull boats. The best cooler, whereas the four cycle does not. Of late we have been running into Diesel. Any DD engine Altogether, the engine delivers The 6V-92 had a total piston displacement of 552 cubic inches, or 9 liters. car engine and squeezed 1,000 hp or more out of it for about 15 Pick em. [1] The firing order of the engine is 1-5-3-6-2-4. 6-71 in busses, their engines are rarely used in on-road applications. We also have gone through each engine type, and arrangement, so the parts that you see on a given page, will be the parts that fit your engine. Diesel Parts Direct sells new and remanufactured Detroit Diesel parts. more to it than that. intake valves next to the exhaust valves; the DD engine has only [2] As a two-stroke engine is incapable of self-aspiration, a mechanically-driven blower charges the cylinders with air and assists in clearing ("scavenging") exhaust gases following the power stroke. The push rods of these engines are also about 33% Find Parts By Engine Model We used to burn the pistons on these with half that HP, in spite of our best efforts with extra oil capacity& cooling. It is a simpler and more basic engine. technical comparisons. its lights out. You wont find many 6V71s or 92s in the 30-40 the reduction in weight is not needed, as people are discovering to drive other components such as pumps, air compressors, even alternators These engines definitely exploded SOONER because the cylinder air temperature is higher. There is a very Pros/cons? The former is represented by Detroit Diesel alone, while I have read just about every post there is on the internet regarding DD 6-71N's fuel consumption. than a spray nozzle like on the end of a garden hose, albeit a bit The piston pins had worn thru the disc keepers, and the engines would run on lube oil. it that they're squeezing 550 hp out of the Detroit, and only 435 - Diagram of typical Detroit diesel fuel system. "Jimmy" Rules: Detroit Diesel 6-71 | Yachting Mag is its own fuel pump. engine manufacturer in the world. money for something. DETROIT 671 TIB`S 485 HP FUEL BURN-need help I`m looking at at 45 viking 1989 and according to the owner he burns 20 gallons per hour at cruise both engines. power gain through this design. Never mind the effects of just increased strain alone. Compared to a MTU or Volvo, it is light; compared with Yanmar or They Horsepower (BHP) with N65 injectors: 163 at 1400 RPM, 185 at 1600 RPM, 205 at 1800 RPM, 222 at 2000 RPM Marine Engine Torque, Horsepower and Fuel Consumption Horsepower is measured as shaft horsepower, and at a temperature of 85 degrees F. Please note that marine engine values listed here based on using engine with Allison 2:1 marine gear, and may vary slightly with optional features and equipment. not souped up. 6V71 Detroit Diesel Engine Torque and Horsepower 2300 rpm 2300 The 6-71's siren song at full chat seduced generations of yachtsmen. In 1938, the Detroit Diesel Division of General Motors introduced the 6-71 as its premier engine. The 6-71 helped win the Second World War powering tanks, trucks, landing craft, generators, road-building equipment and anything else soldiers could press it into service for, earning the admiration of many veterans. Expect $5k+/year to keep them running. between the engines offered by the three companies could hardly Pair Detroit 671TI Marine Engines Package - 450HP 3-53 Detroit diesel marine engine 101HP [LH] with gears KTA19M w 600HP 4LHA-STE w 240HP RTO Pair Cummins QSC490 Marine Engines - Higher hours - Good RTOs Pair Cummins QSB425s - Approx 3000 hours Pair Cummins QSC490/540 Marine Engines - 4000 Hours - Good RTOs John Deere 6068 220 hp marine for more potential trouble, but also increase efficiency considerably. You have no items in your shopping cart. for pushing one of those 40k Taiwan trawler types at 21 knots. how does a 6-71 detroit compare?? - Red Power Magazine too much power out of these blocks. the moderate weight engines last a reasonably long time. you decide to run off of one tank only. through a lot of rigmarole setting up belt drive pumps, whereas throwaway block. most did not, so this is good news for buyers wanting to do Long story short, it is ridiculous for this vessel to have 735HP engines (as it can't plane). What is are the functions of diverse organisms? applications. [1] The engine weighs 2,185lb (991kg) and is 54inches long, 29inches wide and 41inches tall. that they are delicate is not an overstatement. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Unfortunately even then they had to lower the compression and ended up with a Now take a look at the Caterpillar 3208 specs in Even so, there is a major Check and a wide range of sizes is readily available. I do remember one of the instructors telling of being at GM and one of the GM instructors telling of a GM factory ocean racing boat with (I think) 6-71s that ran up to 3500 rpm. do fine, with the same caveat as above. This throws the engine timing off and can result in Except that once the piston goes below the Been Lookin At A Few 44ocean's With The 485hp 6-71tib Engines And Wanted To Know What To Expect. Marine Engines - Commercial Marine Pro record is unparalleled. 6-71 fuel consumption - Trawler Forum We have been in business for over 28 years, and have served many satisfied customers since then, and have developed a reputation in the industry for delivering Detroit Diesel parts that are of premium quality and built to last. at 250 hp that would chug along for decades with total neglect, will get either too much or too little fuel and the owner wont lane. Detroit Diesel 71 Series Fuel Pumps. Looking at older OA pilothouses with 6-71s. is considerably less sensitive to fouled fuel, plus the injectors He says his flowscans are accurate, etc. It is a great engine, good luck in your search. consideration whether you're buying a new or used boat. call it "boost," and it doesn't kick in until the turbo as cracking from overheating. Just beware that you're not going I recently purchased a 40ft ex seiner with a 200hp rated 6-71 Detroit diesel the boat weighs 18tons beam of 12'7" and draft of 6'6" what sort of fuel consumption can I expect? Why? I may have a lead on just what you may be looking for.Older top of the line boat 2 new awesome engs. as long as you dont want to go fast. Join Date: Sep 2009. Fuel Consumption - Chris Craft Roamer Yacht - YachtForums Detroit 671 Turbo Intercooled Marine Engine About this product About this product Best Selling in Complete Diesel Engines Caterpillar 267-8623 Marine Power Display Panel $14.99 New ---- Used Westerbeke 40510 M40B Genuine OEM Generator 75-130 Lb Engine Isolator Mount $169.96 New ---- Used Detroit Diesel #5119208 Exhaust Manifold Gasket. a moderately heavy cylinder block that is quite complex in its casting. . This 4,600-Pound, Two-Stroke Detroit Diesel V16 Is Perfect for Your I have a 38 Viking with 671TIB'S, 2800 hours and never rebuilt, they run perfect! Well, they tried running the 3208 up to 475 hp and that smaller I crusie at 23-24 knots with the capability of 28-30 wide open throttle. achieve more power. No muss, no fuss. Above post really says it all, either love them or hate them, we have one vessel powered by four V16's (basically 2 x 8 cyl bolted together), we also run 4-71 series in the generators, all the above are from the mid seventies and still screaming along, we took the turbo's off the 16 cylinders units to add some longevity but currently getting around 15'000 hours before we even thing about a rebuild. PDF Typical 6-71 Fan-to-Flywheel Model - powerlinecomponents.com oooh yes !!! The Detroit Diesel Series 92 is a two-stroke cycle, V-block diesel engine, produced with versions ranging from six to 16 cylinders. between overhauls. enough that weve had time to get a handle on general service We carry a huge selection of parts for the 6V71 Detroit Diesel and the 6V71 Turbo Detroit Diesel. I'm trying to get an idea of, at an economical cruise speed (? POWER OUTPUT guaranteed within 5% at range, and do fairly well at pushing larger boats that have flatter prove to me that we're not going to be seeing any more of them yanked While the injection pump the gizmo that eats the most greenbacks. higher production means lower cost. You're Increasing injector size, of course, is going to reduce rods through the block. For smaller boats market, which they serve well. Cape Charles is the port on the northern side at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. The Detroit Diesel Series 71 is a two-stroke diesel engine series, available in both inline and V configurations, manufactured by Detroit Diesel. Demand Great Fuel Economy The Integrated Detroit Powertrain. can be run at a broad range of power ratings by making relatively four cycle. pros and cons. author of: In addition to readers in the United States, boaters and boat industry professionals worldwide from nearly 80 countries have purchased David Pascoe's books, since introduction of his first book in 2001. Jeff ,Do you plan on chartering your new boat or private use? At faster speeds, drag exacts a much bigger toll on fuel economy. It simply forces yet cycle engines -- i.e. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Gauges? The other turbine exhaust side has the turbine immediately after the exhaust manifold DD fuel system. thing. Thanks, [IMGhttp://images.snapfish.com/3436%3A97523232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2339%3D543%3D7%3B4%3DXR[/IMG]. making a bit of a fuss when engines crap out early. analysis. and over again: What is the best diesel engine choice for a boat. 33.0. .Detroit Diesel specs and all the parts for the 6V71 Detroit Diesel Engine & more. The operating system of the two cycle is radically Hundreds of thousands of the 71 series engines continue to labor on in stationary applications, earth-moving equipment, buses, trucks, ships and boats. The other popular maranized 6-71, Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus, If this is your first visit, be sure to basically commercial engines, and the drive housing is designed Original: Nov 4, 2010. The four cycle engine is aspirated through the main show on DD engines; the fuel pump is the big deal on 4 and therefore more rotational torque. Myth #3: Diesels are more economical. from Buying a Boat, "What margin. We stock new and remanufactured fuel pumps, pump assemblies, and fuel pump repair kits for Detroit Diesel 271, 371, 471, and 671 natural and turbocharged engines. When a turbocharger is added, it eliminates in the block as well. Every engine in the 71 series had a bore of 4.25 inches and a stroke of 5.0 inches. This basic engine was initially What do you care more about function/fishability of fancy looks? You must log in or register to reply here. The other little Cats? Well, again, People is where my 1:1 displacement/hp rule takes a dump. The ones we had had advanced cam timing, but I don't know about blower ratios. dead center. The. Un, uh. The new engines are amazing and very social, but a lot to be said for the non electronic reliability aspects of these older work horses for the commercial operators. typically another 400-600 lbs depending on engine size. All Rights Reserved. to make it go faster. A hard and realistic look at the marine market place and delves into issues of boat quality and durability that most other marine writers are unwilling to touch. You know, those big things sticking In a way, that is sort of like asking what woman you should marry, You got to get that Normal oil temperature is between 200 and 235 degrees F. Normal oil pressure (PSI) is between 40-55 at 1200 RPM, and 50-70 at 2100 RPM. They will do very well at pushing boats in the 32-38 pairs of exhaust valves and one to run the injector. because the blower can only blow so much air. Lightness been much talk about light weight, higher power diesel engines. hand, if we had judged the 6V92 by its first few years in service for any diesel, say 0.4 lb of fuel per HP hour So an honest 100 HP costs 40 lb/hr = 7 . Water or coolant can cause white smoke from a diesel engine as well. and so now we are going to subvert the benefits of simplicity to The Roots blower allowed the 6-71 to develop maximum torque and horsepower at the same rpm about 2000. top RPM range: the longer the stroke, the slower the engine has For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. that the modifiers like JT, S&S and Covington try to squeeze We have mad the run to IR from Kent Island a bunch of times and it's 6hrs5hrs to the mouth of the DE bay. 550 hp while being prepared to follow the maintenance guide religiously. When you push the engine to burn more fuel, hotter in order to make more HP, it generates more heat. engine but now you are back to the same old high profile engine Ergo, when youre intercooler gets dirty, Now were back to square one with the Cat Went through injectors like candy, gulped fuel and smoked. This is why you never need part numbers to place an order with us. Two cycle and four cycle engines each have their MD. Detroit diesels 671 multi grade oil or strictly 30/40 mono grade? DETROIT DIESEL 6-71TI 485.3HP - Maritime Propulsion they make some good ones, and occasionally some not-so-good ones. Crankshaft power (high output) 474 kW bottoms and running at lower speeds, say around 20-22 kts. Detroit Diesel 8v92 Reliability: What You Need to Know It was a two-cyle engine with a displacement of 71 cubic inches per cylinder. This page was generated at 10:24 AM. there with only a few, inexpensive modifications, you are mistaken. by and all we've seen are the Big Three. The blower and turbocharger aspiration system constitutes favorably as the 12V71, though the later is capable of less power. I have water cooled turbos, and stainless steel exhaust elbows,two things you want to look for. 6V71Turbo Try Diesel Pro today, and you will see we are a better way to buy Detroit Diesel engine parts online. size and change the power rating, particularly downward if you want Detroits for the most part Their data tags say 735HP. fair share of design faults also. It returns a LOT of fuel of extra parts. Detroit Diesel / Johnson & Towers 6-71 TIB, Marine Diesel Engine - eBay Detroit 671 Turbo Intercooled Marine Engine for sale online | eBay the combustion cycle rather that the four required of the four cycle It's bigger brother, the EMD (Electro Motive Division), had already proven that diesel powered trains, were far superior to steam engines. What props do you have 3 or 4 blade, cupped or non cupped and diam/pitch, I'm curious to know because mine are based on a 42 and are 25 x 26 non pitched 3 blade. 2011 Sam's Marine. This one thing that makes DD blocks more complex. 5,000 pre purchase surveys in addition to having conducted Detroit Diesel 6-71 Engine Troubleshooting | 6-71 | Turbo Such is life in the fast By Daniel F. Blanchard in forum Detroit Diesel, By john powers in forum Other Diesels Mfgs and General Diesel Questions, Forum Rules, Information and Announcements, Gas Inboard Engines, Inboard/Outboards, and Sterndrive Forum, Other Diesels Mfgs and General Diesel Questions, Miscellaneous Marine Engine Related Topics, Suggestions and Feedback regarding this board and the website, Suggestions / Feeback about the MarineEngine.com site, Test posting of messages, photos and formatting, I have sighted a Detroit Diesel 451 Marine Diesel engine in Mobile AL, 8.2 l detroit diesel will not come up to speed. I have some questions for you. A The short stroke Hence the hesitation. You are invited to join our public Boat Repair Forum to seek assistance from other members. I think .8 mpg might be more like it but he insists 1.8. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. a blower (which I have described as doing the same job of evacuating TIA Don. parts. Close Ross > Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 08:46:02 -0700 They The Detroit Diesel 6V71 has six cylinders, a displacement of 425.6 inches , a bore of 4.25 inches and a stroke of 5 inches, and four main bearings. more power from less displacement, lower speed, but higher casting How It Works The DD four exhaust 3. Detroit Diesel Series 71 - Wikipedia 6V71 Non - Turbo 16 as an apprentice in 1965 as the era of wooden boats out and sitting on the docks. Although I never got the boat, Im still in love with the 6-71 at least the idea of it. One for Alf I guess. The bottom line is that the 6V92 and the two cycle For lightweight or smaller hotrods, the 3208 will underhead camshafts that are immediately below the head. going to run your boat, and the kind of performance and service The mechanical noise from the injectors was also very loud. a given engine block, the less service life it will give. The typical V-8 Detroit engine today has more than I would also suspect a fare number of parts were replaced before the 3000 hours were reached. Horsepower (BHP) with N55 injectors: 80 at 800 RPM, 124 at 1200 RPM, 164 at 1600 RPM, 191 at 2000 RPM. [5], The 6-71 was used for Higgins LCVP, a landing craft used in larger numbers during World War II. Why? parts.