In Maine, the carvers made the decoys have tougher features to withstand the waters. Each submission may only reference one object per submission form. It was not only Mason Decoy Company that had a monopoly on the duck decoy market. Some regions like New Jersey, North Carolina, New England, and Long Island are home to duck decoys bearing key features and markings. If you are interested in an Online Appraisal, you must read and agree to the appraisal terms below. Professional collectors recommend cleaning the antiques with a simple cloth. If you have one of these, you may be in possession of a treasured antique piece. So, it follows that if the ducks are different, then the decoys must be different too. very nice early 1900's hand carved wooden duck decoy which is made to appear like a blue wing teal. Some of the master carvers of duck decoys such as Ben Schmidt, Joe Lincoln, Walter Ruppel, Adam Anger, Addie Nichol, Alain MacDonald, Albert Laing, Art Chilton, Babe Strubinger, Bert Graves, Reagan Bob Kerr, Bert Lang, Damos, Bill Enright, Bill Goenne, Barney Crandell and Shang Wheeler were craftsmen who hunted and came to understand the fowl that they hunted. The current condition of an antique duck decoy plays a significant role in determining its value. A handful of carvers have gone on to become renowned in this field with some of their most desirable decoys bringing huge sums. Dr. Loris online appraisals are based on actual sales records where similar pieces actually sold. News; Hunting 3 Decoys. But they won't be cheaper than the ones you named. Restored condition by Patrick Kane, branded PK. (inside fish symbol) Evelyn Swenson Frazzee, MN, extremehughes Tony Hughes Gladwin, MI, Feather (Red) on Bottom Mike Allsup Pine River, MN, Felgenauer Jim Felgenauer Algonac, MI. Nubs Allen Green Bay. Carved and polychrome, CARVED AND PAINTED BLACK DUCK DECOY, MASON, PAIR OF MINIATURE DUCK DECOYS, IN THE STYLE, Two miniature duck decoys, one black duck. Antique Duck decoys are as valuable as many other vintage and antique items. Their techniques led to some of the finest decoys ever made. You may take previously shot photographs or prints to many camera shops, major pharmacy and grocery stores where you can use a scanner in their stores to place the images onto a portable memory device or have them uploaded to a server where you can access them. I further understand that my appearance, depiction, and portrayal in and in connection with the Program or otherwise, and my actions and the actions of others displayed in and in connection with the Program or otherwise, may be disparaging, defamatory, embarrassing or of an otherwise unfavorable nature, may expose me to public ridicule, humiliation or condemnation, and may portray me in a false light. Remember too that the resolution for the images should be between 72-96 dpi, not 300 dpi. 10 inch long decoy has slightly raised wings and he rests in a "content" or snuggle pose. Photo courtesy of Decoys Unlimited Inc. and LiveAuctioneers, Ted Harmon, who owns Decoys Unlimited, Inc., with his wife Judy, said Crowell (1862-1952) was one of the finest commercial decoy makers in New England and an extraordinary carver. Carvers were making a few decoys of better quality with improved materials and more intricate designs for the wealthy. Larson Clifford A. Larson Minneapolis, MN, Capt. Try to keep the objects away from the sun and dust. Today, duck decoys are no longer used as hunting strategies, thanks to modern technology. Including: five hand-carved and painted decoys by Wally Whitford, Danbury, NH; four drakes from The Fleetwood Two Elmore duck decoys: black duck, base Two Elmore duck decoys: black duck, base marked "Sleeping black duck by Robert Elmore 1985. Factory-made decoys would often display this information on a metal tag placed on the bottom of the wood decoy. For practice, you can attend decoy auctions, and hunting shows to get on-hand experience. Areas which are better equipped for the trade of duck decoys are likely to have a more lively market and therefore items will fetch a higher price. GROUP OF FOUR CARVED AND PAINTED WOODEN DUCK, Mid 1900s Collection of Duck Decoys: For. $25.00. In the mid-1900s, duck decoys were as scarce as ever and were regarded as collectible items of folk art. Neither all, nor any part of the content of the report, or copy thereof, shall be used for any purposes by anyone but the client specified in the report without previous written consent of the appraiser. Christian Fish Symbol with IXOYE inside Randy Hahn or Randy Hofman MN? This way, the decoys could resemble various kinds of waterfowl, and the hunting process was much simpler. (8) miniature duck decoys by Miles Hancock, FIVE MINIATURE DECOYS. In regions where hunting wasnt as expected, duck decoys were used as decorative pieces until the next hunting season. Any and all such Footage and Materials shall be deemed works made for hire specially ordered as part of a motion picture or other audio-visual work, and I waive the exercise of any moral rights, droit moral, and any analogous rights, however denominated, in any jurisdiction of the world, which I have. Trumbauersville, PA 18970. By the mid-19th century, the style and construction of decoys began to vary based on the region and the carver. If you requested additional sales records after you received your Online Appraisal Report, those additional sales records will be provided to you no more than 10 days after the receipt of your payment for the additional sales records. A. As you know by now, duck decoys are replicas of real birds used back in the day by hunters to attract birds, easing their job especially during the winter months. The pair became renowned folk artists. The Crowell Bundleextensively includes 31 decoys, all of which were valued at $7.5 million. Keep records of all your collectible items. Huntsmen today do not use duck decoys due to modern technology and materials, so these items are now considered genuine antique and vintage treasures. Shipping, returns & payments. For instance, Long Island, New Jersey, North Carolina, and New England are areas that have specific elements, decoy types, and collectors. Stick Ups were used to lift the body off the ground. Distinguish a collection from an investment. Photo courtesy of Micah Brosnan, West Coast Decoys.com, Micah Brosnan, who created the West Coast Decoys website, said one of the best Pacific Flyway carvers was Richard Ludwig Fresh-Air Dick Janson (1872-1951). Albert Junglas Farminton, Michigan, AS w/Diamond Arnie Stensland Michigan, A. Victor Fred J. Beaudry Marquette, Michigan, Feather on Bottom (RED) Mike Allsup Pine River, MN, AWA Art W. Anderson Detoit Lakes, MN, B (on bottom) Lawrence Bethel Lake George, MN, B. Bartlett Broderick Randy Bartlett, MI, B. Williams Bevy Williams Virginia Beach, VA, bandgdecoys B & G Decoys Beth & Gene Burnett Springfield, Illinois, Bar Lake Fishing Tackle Co. Kingfish Soren Hansen & Everett Peterson Manistee, MI, Bartlett Broderick Randy Bartlett, MI, B. Barlett Broderick Randy Bartlett Northern MI, BBJ Jerome Brooks Big John Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin, B.C. It would be best if you also inspected the eyes of the decoy. The report will be based on the information ascertained from research and analysis in support of the appraisers opinion. A: Antique duck decoys are very sensitive to any external factor (humidity, sun exposure, etc.). However, the market started with small niche interest groups in the United States. He is noted for decoys that were finely carved around the eyes and nostrils. Hi Everyone! Ex-Governor Thompson buys rare Illinois duck decoy, Folk Fest returns to Atlanta area for 17th year Aug. 20-22, Tims Inc. to stay in Bristol, Conn., for Cabin Fever Auction, March 27, Sam Doyle painting of midwife garners $204,000 at Slotin auction, https://www.liveauctioneers.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/green-1.jpg, https://www.liveauctioneers.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ACN-logo-2019-2.png, LiveAuctioneers | Auction Central News. The value is based on research and expertise and remains the opinion of the appraiser. Maurer James M. Maurer Harrison, MI, J.R. J.R. Thomas Upper Chesapeake Bay region, Maryland, J.S. ANTIQUE Carved Hand Painted Goose Decoy Wood Art Figure Sculpture 20" X 8". Some makers are more renowned and talented than others. Names like Anthony Elmer (A.E.) Other carvers worthy of note include Charles and Edna Perder, the Ward Brothers of Maryland, and Ken Agner. Duck Decoys Trio Three duck decoys to include: Victor Working Duck Decoy Pair Two (2) vintage. In preparing this Online Appraisal, we will consider various factors based on our expertise including but not limited to thecondition of the piece, recent sales of comparable pieces, age, provenance, and basic physical condition. The client further agrees that it is the complete and exclusive statement of agreement between you and Masterpiece Technologies Inc. concerning the Online Appraisal. It made decoys in several grades, led by Challenge grade (#2) and Premier grade (#1). I am wondering who the maker is and if decoys made by this . Created by Gus Wilson, this antique item broke one of the antique duck decoy sales record recently. . As low as $200. The most famous of all factory-made decoys are Mason's which operated in Detroit, Michigan, from 1896 to 1924. This Agreement cannot be terminated, rescinded or amended, except by a written agreement signed by both Producer and me. The earliest documentation of, Read More Most Valuable Antique Dolls: Identification, Price Assessment, and Buyers GuideContinue, Have you recently come across some antique objects in your grandparents old suitcase? Their bodies are solid and time-resistant. A few of these floating decoys appear buoyant because they were hollowed out, while the rest maintained their solid features. The fair market value has been defined as the price at which a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither under any compulsion to buy or sell, without the necessity of a forced sale and commensurate with the market in which the item most commonly sells and with both parties having reasonable knowledge of the relevant facts agree on the sale price of the item. Clemens, MI, G.H. The aesthetics of this companys decoys are iconic: Some of the finest decoys manufactured by Mason Decoys were Mason Premier Grade and Challenge Grade. Although, these were mainly used for decorative purposes in the homes of the wealthy during the early years. While a few make the markings on the wing side. The prices also vary by region. Antique Pottery Marks Identification Guide: How Do I Find Out If My Pottery Is Valuable? The Online Appraisal is furnished to the client for your use at your own risk. So, it follows that if the ducks are different, then the decoys must be different too. Most vintage duck decoys do not have identifiable markings. Most antique duck decoys have glass eyes. Well, these letters, Read More Antique Pottery Marks Identification Guide: How Do I Find Out If My Pottery Is Valuable?Continue, When we talk about any kind of working machine, some rational thinking is that the new and, Read More Most Valuable Antique Sewing Machine (Worth $4000+)Continue, Youre a young, healthy man in 1850 America. Nails or long spikes are used to join the head and the decoys body. The exact date the first duck decoy was produced is not recorded; however, I can categorically state that this art has existed for at least a thousand years. Their best painters did a superb job and the paint is very durable perhaps because William Mason was in the paint business first as he supplied Detroit automakers with high quality and durable paint for their cars, Harmon said. Producer has no obligation to me whatsoever. 1- M&M signed Red-headed duck. As with all antique items, the rare models of duck decoys which are often hard to locate, tend to cost a whole lot more than others. Research as much as you can to learn the main subtle characteristics to look for in antique duck decoys. For sure, antique duck decoy collectors will always appreciate the beauty of these pieces or simply carry the nostalgia of antique creations. We know that it is much more enjoyable to look at old decoys on your mantel than a savings bond. WV Manford Manny Erickson West Virginia, M.E.W.V. NEW YORK Originally made to be functional, used in rigs by hunters to coax birds flying overhead into a safe landing, carved wooden bird decoys are now recognized as wonderful examples of folk art. Mason Premier Mallard Hen | Mason Challenge Mallard Hen In these events, youll be opportune to inspect subtle features put in by antique carvers. Other books recommended by folk art experts include American Bird Decoys by William J. Mackey Jr. and Wild Fowl Decoys by Joel Barber. Interest among sport hunters and folk art collectors was high enough to merit one sale a year there, and by 1983, Bourne was holding three sales a year. At this point, hunting was growing to be a pastime for privileged individuals in England. Dr. Loris email responses to you about your submissions will include: Values and related information provided are based on current market conditions at the time of the request. Then you might be dealing with an antique. etc., etc. At the time, not all duck decoys had the same value. Make sure you write down your antique items history, value, and previous owners. I understand and acknowledge that, while such conduct might otherwise constitute an actionable tort, I have freely and knowingly consented to such conduct. A wonderful decorative decoy by Mr. Reed. One carved and painted duck, WILLIAM P TYNER COLOR LITHOGRAPH OF A DUCK, Group of Five Decoys to include John A Welles, Folkey Black Duck Decoy, Connecticut duck, THREE CARVED DUCK DECOYS including one cork. COLLECTION OF 8 VINTAGE HANDMADE DUCK DECOYS: TWO DUCK DECOYS. On the other hand, more modern types were made of canvas and plastic. Also, upon request, we will offer suggestions for the sale of your collection that help honor and preserve the intent and efforts of the years of the collectors. Sometimes, it could depend on the pose of the decoy; some duck decoys are carved in feeding, swimming, and even sleeping positions. William Reinbold miniature wood duck decoy: Miniature Hand Carved and Painted Duck Decoy: EIGHT CARVED AND PAINTED MINIATURE DUCKS. This technique helped families during the civil war to catch prey for feeding. Your email address will not be published. This Agreement shall be interpreted under the internal, substantive law of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania without regard to the conflicts of law provisions thereof. Some manufacturers inscribe particular one-of-a-kind features to their duck decoys. There Is The Makers Mark On The Bottom Looks Like T.h. There is no limit to the number of submissions you can make each day during your subscription period. Not all passionate can collect $10,000 decoys and make this type of investment. I understand that it may be a federal offense, unless disclosed to Producer prior to the exhibition of the Program, if any, to do any of the following: (a) give or agree to give any member of the production staff and anyone associated in any manner with the Program or any representative of Producer any portion of my compensation or anything else of value to arrange my appearance in the Program or the Advertisements; or (b) accept or agree to accept anything of value to promote any product, service or venture on the air or to use any prepared material containing such a promotion. Unlike other carvers on this list, Chambers was born in Ontario, Canada. The Online Appraisal Report will be emailed to you within the specified report delivery time that you selected when making payment.