Start with a polite greeting It's polite to start written correspondence with a greeting. Have a conversation before sending an email. In a situation where you feel as though you dont have all of the information, whether thats because you missed part of it or it just seems as though theres a gap, using just so I understand gives you the time to go over what you do know and lets others fill in any missing pieces. May I ask you to clarify the matter for me/all of us? I am sorry, but I couldnt follow your suggestions. Interrupting Politely, Interjecting Opinions, and Sharing Ideas Reminder Learn more about us here. Closed Question: Will you be an asset to the company if we hire you? Would you please repeat it? [1]: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bring-science-home-speaking-memory/, [2]: https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html, [3]: https://hbr.org/2015/03/relearning-the-art-of-asking-questions. Additionally, when asking for clarification, it is not considered polite if you frame your clarification question in a critical tone. Asking for clarification email to boss sample Its highly likely you'll need to clarify details with a client at some stage. Have you ever experienced a meeting where somebody is explaining something, but for the life of you, you cannot even begin to understand their point of view? Both phrases can be used to ask for more information or to give more information when someone requests it of you. ask for clarification It also allows for a wide range of expression as the tone it is said in can add more meaning to the phrase. Why dont people respond? Rule #3: Mind the timing and the relevancy. You can end on a positive note by thanking the other person for their time and consideration of their clarification request. Have you wanted me to send the emails first, then attend the meeting? Can you go over this area again just so I understand the new changes you want implemented? How to Politely Ask for Clarification in English ESL Advice How to interrupt politely in a meeting. Have you asked for permission to use my laptop? ?" Mr. Khan is also a passionate writer working on his first book, "Learn English at Ease. Would you please repeat what you said about our new project? How To Ask For Clarification In Email? What do I do? How to Ask for Clarification Politely - Collaborative Solutions If its a simple item, pick up the phone and call. Katie is a passionate digital nomad working on her first book on the art of communication. May I ask you to share your suggestions again? ?" I admire that you clarified your position. Those suggestions sometimes are too important in our professional and personal life. Ask he asked, feigning a concerned expression. Janet opened the door and smiled slightly. Don't worry: Asking for clarification is easy. Bullet points are the most effective way of listing out your questions. Learn useful English phrases for discussion and debate. In English, the respondent would immediately understand that you need more than a simple "yes" or "no" answer. WebTo write a thank you email for a salary increase, express your gratitude calmly, then ask for clarification on the terms of the increase if you have not already received them. However, if you dont understand someones question, you should ask for clarification and answer accordingly. It sometimes happens that interviewers may need extra information after your meeting. Asking for clarification or something else is fast using artificial intelligence. There are other words you might use in this case as well. In doing so, you will be perceived as non-accusatory and therefore, not threatening. Lets explore the three tenants of how to ask for clarification politely. Here is a great example of how to use just to be clear professionally in an email. Tannia is a very authentic person and is able to provide clients powerful and versatile communication tools that can be employed in daily conversations, in negotiations or in meetings. The best questions are open-ended. how to politely and natively reply an email and ask question, Looking for a word attributing the state of revealing the past. Messaging your boss or manager is slightly different from the formal format we use above. Always try to ask open-ended questions while asking for clarification. WebIn American English, the word actually is often used to clarify a misunderstanding. English Speaking Practice || How to Ask for Clarification in English || Beginner- Advanced levels. Could you please vs Would you please? Rule #4: Raise your (virtual) hand. Sorry, what was that? Could/Would you explain it again, please? So, do you really think this will be a profitable deal? First up, here's a sample email seeking clarification. Using the phrase just so I understand is a great alternative if you are confused, astounded, amazed, or in disbelief in regards to the information or instructions you have been given. (meaning to say it in another way) is appropriate. (A) works with middle managers who want to communicate authentically so they can effectively lead their teams without losing themselves. Have you requested to send me the MS Word file or the PDF? Will you please mention again the name of the items you requested from the store? Now pretend I don't know anything about how that works. How to Politely Ask for a Clarification - Everyday Courtesy How to The first thing you should do is thank the sender for providing the information. Would you prefer if we go with approach A or B in this situation? How to agree/disagree. Once someone clarifies something for you, you must appreciate their effort. WebClarifying What You Heard, Asking Someone to Repeat Themselves, and Confirming Your Understanding Communication Skills: Express Yourself Clearly Get Your Number Stress Right: How to Pronounce Numbers Clearly in English The Power of Pitch: Change Your Tone for Better Stress and Intonation in English Further, using the conditional mood also indicates that you are not directing the conversation. Congratulations on getting a job offer! Q&A Answertion Question and answer site Open Question: When did you first notice that it was a challenge working with him? How to ask for help via email Use a clear, direct subject line. Lets take a look at In this article, we'll show you how to request clarification via email. The first thing to remember when asking for clarification is that you can be honest and straightforward. Be specific about what you expect to be clarified. Here are some examples: What would you like to see as the final deliverable? When asking for clarification, the key to being polite is to embrace the opposite of the principles noted above: Ask at the proper time, use a polite format and present your question in a genuine and sincere manner. Would you please repeat what you wanted permission for? Always consider the setting: formal and informal. If you need to seek clarification during a presentation, the polite way to do so would be to raise your hand or use some non-offensive gesture to attract the speakers attention (no middle fingers!) Below is an example of how to use do I understand professionally. However, if you dont understand them, you should ask them to clarify. Let me see if I understand this; you want to create a proposal which would limit our available staff positions for hire? Moreover, it will imply that you think you already know what the answer is, even though you need clarification! Will you please repeat the standard operating procedure of this machine? A salutation followed by the hiring manager's name is common. Sometimes we need clarification when we want to get a better handle on where others are coming from. Did you mean? Below is a helpful structure, and some phrases, to help you politely get what you want with your clarification emails. Clarification It can be a sensitive area, particularly if your figures don't match, so concentrate on being polite and professional as we have done in the invoice clarification email sample. When someone asks for permissionfor something from you, you may not always listen to them appropriately. We can split clarification emails into three parts. Depending on the nature of your clarification request email, you may want to attach some information, including links, or add attachments. Im glad that you specifically explained the issue. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Simply say thank you and move on. Can/Could/Would you give me an example, please? How to Write a Thank You Email for a Salary Increase As AI is developing and being used in different sectors, writers are also using them to avoid unexpected grammatical errors or typos. To clarify, the key is to keep things simple, provide all details you need, and remember you're dealing with a real person. Im sorry, but I couldnt follow your question. Will you please share the total amount again? Would you like me to switch off all the lights? Not doing so and beginning to speak while the presenter is still speaking is seen as very rude in just about any formal setting. ", Instead of saying "I don't understand," you can also just say "I'm (a little) confused. Heres How to Ask for Clarification From Someone Else Likewise, you need to be able to process that information through your working memory and convert it into relatable information relative to your short-term and long-term memory. No worries! I learned that if two players sack cooperatively, each defender gets 0.5 sacks in their statistics. Use open-ended questions to guide the discussion. Recovering from a blunder I made while emailing a professor. Sorry, one more time? You mean you need some books from the library, isnt it? Is that right? don't understand in English Ask To ask for clarification politely, it is essential to use open-ended clarification questions stated in a neutral and inquisitive tone of voice. Asking somebody to explain something implies that you don't know anything about the topic and want the person to teach you. Indicate that this is a request to set up a meeting in the subject line by including words like discussion', 'meeting' or schedule'. Would/Could you please say that again for me/us? To obtain clarification, you have to truly want to understand the other persons point of view. But can you repeat it so I can be sure about what you suggested? We usually stress the word actually to signal that were going to explain what we really meant. Try to use them in real life and master them. Could you please repeat it? are the common formal ways of asking someone for clarification in English. Avoid guilt. ncdu: What's going on with this second size column? Theres an emergency you need to deal with." If you have to ask again (or if you keep relying on the same person), consider approaching someone else. Should You Be Home When Contractors Are Working. Here are some expressions to ask for clarification when someone asks for your permission. ." Using this formal speech helps to indicate that you are sincere in your desire to understand what the speaker is saying, which is the basis for asking for clarification. If someone is kind enough to provide the answers you need when you need them, it's polite to say thank you. Patient: Thanks, doctor. Asking clarifying questions shows that you're actively listening and want to understand. [1] 2 Be polite but direct in asking about the starting salary. If we want to make sure that someone has understood, you can request confirmation that someone has Both phrases can be used interchangeably, as they have the same meaning. Huh? Would/Could you please clarify it for me/us? Simply say thank you and move on. Clarification Emails: Structure and Phrases - Target Training GmbH Thanks, you cared. Im not sure when youd like me to start adding the copy to the development website. It also makes it easier for the recipient to go through them line-by-line and answer them. Its my bad that I dont quite understand you. As a former Speech Language Pathologist, Lindsay applies her expertise in the neuroscience of communication and connection to help managers foster an environment of trust and respect in their teams, so that everyone can bring their best selves to work.