Hi, Cheryl! We just had bead board installed and stained in our tray ceiling inserts in our hallway. Be sure to brush the primer on in the direction of the grain. (via blesserhouse) [8] The paint may take longer to dry if it is very cold or humid where you live. I dont have a pic of a metal door. a perfect touch the unexpected. I think you should come to my house and do my kitchen cabinet. I just came across this. How much gel stain did you need? Apply wax (candle) to places you want the wood/base paint color to show. Heres where the magic starts to happen. For this next step, I worked rectangle by rectangle, and then row by row, and then column by column, to create the look of wood grain with gel stain. Its blackboard paint central panel provides a convenient place for weekly menu planning, ongoing shopping lists, ever-changing family schedules and more. I have a questionhow has the door held up? WoW !! This was not a hard project at all. The last thing we want to do is go to the trouble of painting our door only to have the paint peel off. How long will it last? They are BOOORING! The goal is to not have that much paint on the rag. Once my primer is dry, I like to sand again to get an extra smooth finish but this step is not required. It should work just the same. Would this work on trim/baseboards that have been painted white? document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Hey there, love this tutorial was wondering if you have any suggestions for a grey or black ish wood look my shutters are black and my brick is grey so Im afraid any of the colors you have in this tutorial are too brown. I have an entire post devoted to it that you can see here: Faux Driftwood Finish on Latex Paint. Part of the process of staining a garage door to LOOK like wood is using brush strokes to allow the base color to come through, just a little, to give it that woodgrain look. Dont worry; its super easy to mix and you will only need a sample container in Satin! Would I follow these same instructions or would the process by different? Whether are refinishing your metal front door or a fiberglass back door, the process is the same and uses latex paint and glaze to give any material the look of wood grain. I do not think the technique will work on metal. You will move directly to the clear coat step! I am not sure if it would work on metal. How do you think this would work on my green front doors? How to Make a Metal Door Look Like Distressed Wood. Gently sand a previously painted door to make the door more receptive to primer. How would you advice pulling off this technique if you need to keep your door on? I feel like there will be some questions about this process, so Im trying to anticipate them! Blend Paint and Glaze [7] 4. What About Giani Wood Look Paint to Paint a Door to Look Like Wood? Welcome to Renovated Faith, where I share about DIY projects, my faith and everything in between! Once the paint dried, I started applying gel stain right over the paint. I began by using a 1 foam brush to spread the gel stain but quickly switched to a stain pad, as it was much easier to get it in all the nooks and crannies. (Make sure to read my post on The Best Gel Stain Tips and Tricks, too. It will help you have better success with gel stain! Be sure to use Zinsser Bullseye 123 Primer (Water-based) if you are working on a garage door. Now that Ive got two glaze mixtures mixed, each with my two latex paint colors, I can start the first coat. More like this 2 Laundry Room Doors Kitchen Doors Bathroom Doors Basement Doors Kitchen Hardware Master Bathrooms Door Design House Design Cafe Door C Carol Geithner Red Front Door Painted Front Doors Front Door Colors Metal Doors Front Porch Diy Home Repair Home Diy Front Door Makeover You will only need one sample of this color for both layers. Steelcraft's GRAINTECH Series of stainable steel doors provides the beauty of wood with the features and benefits of steel. My garage door faces the front of our house but because it is not right beside the front door, I dont have to match exactly. Scroll down to leave a comment and I WILL reply! The gel stain is the perfect solution! Great Job! STEP 6: How to Paint a Door to Look Like Wood So It Lasts! 9. Hey Sarah, The only reason I didnt do this process with my door still hanging is that it was so hot during the summer (Im in Texas) and I was worried about the paint drying up too fast while I was working with it. Im not getting any younger.lol. GRAINTECH doors are available in a wide variety of options including size . Here is a quick peek at my . Can you believe this? It was embarrassing to even close the door for anyone passing by to see. Ha! Join 30,000 other DIYers by subscribing to the weekly newsletter and you will also get instant access to dozens of freebies. If it were mine I would probably do the gel stain, wipe, and sand. Any suggestions? Debbie..I love following you and your projects, we have similar taste. Not really, I was just experimenting and wanted a two toneish color. Love your tobacco wood door, too! I will have to check out your vanity. Varathane Antique White Stain on Pine. How many times have you asked God for something that you later realized would have been your lifes biggest dumpster fire had it come to pass? You will be using three different sample containers of paint per door and we will paint them on with a method that is easy and looks so much like real wood. Be sure to put your screws and hardware in a plastic baggie so none get lost. Anyway, you said the colors wed need to get mixed are Flaxseed for the basecoat, Van Dyke Brown for Layer #1, and Turkish Coffee for Layer #2. Beautiful, Debbie! This may take up to an hour, or even longer. [emailprotected] (6066824376 ) or u can text me love ur doors a lot. If you are working on an exterior door, keep any other exterior doors or garage doors in mind when picking out your shade. White Custom Closet Doors with Wood Trim. With this process, first, pick your shade from several options below. What happens if I apply paint without applying a primer? Photo by Kolin Smith. Back in the day, I painted our pantry door red and loved it for years. Worm holes really help make new wood look old. It is very similar to the traditional stain technique but at the end you dry brush with white and that gives it the gray look. So actually with gel stain, you CAN use a water based sealer! Do the exact same process above with the second glaze mixture shade on top of the first coat. This will keep it wet. I wiped in some areas to get the somewhat weathered look. Whether your door is metal, wood or fiberglass, you are just sanding to scuff up the surface. Fortunately, God has the foresight to give us whats truly best for us. Required fields are marked *, By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. Either is fine. This is the perfect alternative! There are many types of wood graining tools and ways to use them. I can be reached at [emailprotected]. . I didn't want it to look "brown" or too weather-y, just a tad bit with mostly white. Your email address will not be published. If you would like to become a subscriber, I would love for you to join me. STEP 3: Apply A Base Coat on Your Front or Back Door. Thank you. I love the color of the stain. This was the first time I ever worked with gel stain, and I loved it. How to Create the Faux Woodgrain Topcoat Here are the tools in the order I used them: Paint brush, woodgraining tool, wallpaper paste brush, whisk broom, chip brush. Consider upgrading your garage door. Thanks Sarah! Clean the doors. I was going around your site and found your industrial look shelving A.N.D. I dont like using oil-based products outside because they often crack eventually and also if you are doing this process on a garage door an oil-based product could void your garage door warranty. Tape off the top horizontal sections of your door. I dont see why not! GLAZE LAYER 2: SW Van Dyke Brown again. You might also check out this post that gives you some more color options:https://renovatedfaith.com/paint-that-looks-like-stain/, On an exterior entry or garage door, What is the durability of these products with this process?. Two coats of GEL stain first and let completely dry over night. To learn more about sanding, check out this post here: How to Sand in Less Than 5 Minutes. Paint another layer of different color and let it dry. You will want one or two people to help you with both glaze steps so that it doesnt dry up on you too fast. Luv it !! All of the sample options are neutrals but you want to take your wall color and your floor color into consideration. Here's how you can make your white doors look rustic: 1. Checking In With Chelsea DIY ideas, crafts, and tips for your home subscribe and never miss a thing! Once the whole door was covered in gel stain, I let it sit overnight to dry. I wanted to give them a upgrade, but didn't want to spend 120.00 per door since I have 5 of them in the hallway. To start out, Id mix 1 part as being 2 TBS. Its saying that if you ask and seek, God will give you what you ask for as long as it is in accordance with Gods Will. Seal The Door To Protect The Faux Wood Finish. Hi, Jasmine! Its been about a year and a half since I redid my door and it looks the same as when I refinished it. For more images of the traditional finishes, click here: Easy Faux Stains with Paint. You want to be sure to cover your work area. 2. This winning makeover is brimming with rustic farmhouse charm thanks to new Clopay Gallery Collection garage doors. Take a wet washcloth (not dripping but not TOO wrung out) and dip it into a tiny bit of paint. I like to get these sample containers of paint at Lowes in their Sherwin William paint and thats also where you can get the clear mixing glaze. I guess it was all about doors today! Also, try to paint small cardboard with the same base color and let your door and cardboard dry completely. Rolling it on is always faster and I brush out the roll marks because this is one of the few times I want brush strokes in the surface because they will mimic the feel of wood grain. The purpose of sanding isn't to remove the finish, but to etch it so the primer adheres. We have to do something to our rental house front door, so paint it or fake it? How To Paint a Door to Look Like Wood Stain {7 Realistic Shade Options & Video Tutorial}, How to Make A Metal Door Look Like Wood (Process Overview), Shade Options When Painting A Metal Door To Look Like Wood, Rustic Mahogany Faux Stain (The Shade I Used on My Exterior Metal Door), How to Paint a Door To Look Like Old Wood Rustic Options, Step 1: Sand First Before Painting A Door to Look Like Wood, How to Make a Metal Door Look Like Wood Prep Work, STEP 2: Prime Your Interior or Exterior Door First. Step 1. First tape off the paneled area with your Yellow Frog Tape. And then I am sure it would work. How to Paint a Door to Look Like Wood - Checking In With Chelsea Make your door look like stained wood with a simple 2-step paint process. You can use this process on fiberglass. This step by step tutorial shows you the exact steps and supplies to completely transform the look of your door on a budget. Hey! I dont want to steer you in the wrong direction on such a big project. ), Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.. Let me know how it turns out! Show more Spray on Countertops | Stone Coat Epoxy Stone Coat Countertops 15M views 1. I dont blame you Amy! For my exterior door, I used an oil-based primer called Zinsser Cover Stain. Since this is a metal door that has no grain, Im usually brushing length-wise as you can see in the video. Remove the door from the opening, if needed. Thank you so much for your tutorial. I think this would look super on a pantry door as well. If you want the rustic look of driftwood you can use the driftwood finish above. Sand the . White Doors, Dark Stained Wood Trim, and Beige Wall Paint for a Cozy Look. I didnt do that to mine, but Im going to add that soon. Its hard to believe that the stain is just latex paint and a little glaze! Add wood detailing to bifold doors. It was some I had left over in the cabinet outside. I hesitate to have to mix a second batch just in case it doesnt come out quite the same. DIY and craft tutorials. Measure inside of the window vertically and cut trim accordingly. To make the finish look even more aged . If youre wondering how to paint a metal garage door to look like wood, you can use this same process. Yes I do. Traditional wood stains like Zar are oil-based so they will adhere on a wood door but they will dry up before you can create faux wood grain with your brush. Just a little time consuming and you have to be patient. You can also use one and store it in a baggie in your frig until you do the next coat. Step 4: Glazing The Secret To Making Metal Doors Look Like Wood, How to Apply Both Glaze Mixtures To Your Metal Door, STEP 5: Create Wood Grain That Runs In Different Directions by Taping, Taping and Glazing Paneled Sections of Your Door, Taping and Glazing Horizontal Sections of Your Door, Taping and Glazing Vertical Sections of Your Door. When its dry, repeat Steps 1-4 with the second glaze mixture. Next, we will take off sections of our door to give the same look of a real hardwood door that has been constructed out of different pieces of wood. It is a process of cleaning the doors, shelves and hardware; sanding and/or stripping the old paint, blemishes and flaws off the surfaces; and adding new . Then rub/sand the wax off. Simply wipe it over the first layer with a clean rag, let dry. To protect your door and keep it looking like wood, youll need to seal it with a topcoat. This will be the background color for the gel stain. In fact, you can even load up the shelves with 500 lbs. Hi Debbie, What I didnt count on was how the glaze mixture absorbed into the the surface too fast and I couldnt get the look of wood grain. Secondly, when you advise us to start with 1 TBL spoon, are you saying to start with 1 TBL of glaze, to 1/2 a TBL of water, & 1 TBL of paint, and is that enough for the whole door? I absolutely love this! Make the most of your kitchen's existing storage space by installing a pull-out shelf in oneor allof the base cabinets. You will tape each section of the garage door as if it is a regular door on its side. So I applied two coats of gel stain right over the orange paint. And it was awful so bad that I could only laugh about how horrible it was!. Crisp, white Clopay Gallery Collection doors add the perfect pop of contrast and prove . In the example shown here, you can see how the bright white door with the white wood trim goes beautifully . My question is, I want to do this on my front porch railing. This is the color of my door in this tutorial on How to Paint a Door to Look Like Wood. Apply your gel wood stain to the door with a foam brush, instructs Average but Inspired. Wipe down and repeat these steps as necessary until the cabinet and frame are very clean. Any suggestions? It's perfect to make weathered plank accent walls. This is a great stain shade if you want a more weathered look to match rustic farmhouse or coastal decor. One of the best ways to bring warmth to a bedroom or living room is to pair your white door's white wooden trim with blue skirting. Perfect timing! Learn how your comment data is processed. I noticed you used water based sealer over oil based stain and that generally doesnt work. How Do You Paint A Garage Door to Look Like Wood? 1. Great comment and observation! Looking forward to your next article! In other words, you are not trying to sand off the old finish. And not the bedroom floors; the parlor-level floors! With this easy step-by-step tutorial and video, Ill show you exactly how to do your own door makeover on a budget! My front door is a metal door, which yours is, too, so Im just wondering if that is enough for a full coat or is it better to double that? It is a covered porch but I am sure rain would still get it to regularly. After that layer dries, we remove the tape and retape the rest of the sections. This easy and inexpensive how-to will show you how to make your door look like wood using gel stain! Also adding some wood corbels for architectural interest. Thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words! The next morning I went over it with my color choice of stain with just a rag. (112) Write a review. Your door looks amazing! painted door !! I realize this post might be old hopeing youll still get to respond thanks. STEP 4 With the project surface primed, you're ready to apply a base coat of paint that looks like wood. Well, well, well. Can You Make A Metal Door Look Like Wood That Matches Your Garage Door (Or Visa Versa)? Seal, and then add a glazing step with a dark color to highlight mouldings and recesses, and that usually adds to the effect. This is a really pretty option if you like the rustic depth of Brown Oak but want something a little warmer. Use a wet rag or paper towel to touch up any bleed-through areas and let it all dry at least an hour. Both General Finishes and Minwax (gel stain brands I use regularly) talk about that on their websites. Over painted wood I assume so. Did you do any sanding or prep work before using the stain? I like to get the sample size containers of Sherwin Williams paint. Depending on if you want high gloss or matte. Garage doors come in a wide range of styles, materials and colors. 1- if the door and existing paint is in good shape, paint the door with a satin oil base paint with a medium or light tan color. Please note that these are products I know/use and recommend. ), For the tight corners I used artist paintbrushes to spread the gel stain.. I love to hear your thoughts and questions! OK so take it from me you cannot paint a door to look like wood with orange paint. Not gonna work! I would probably recommend a poly, to finish them. I followed your steps to do this to trim in our house. Hi Karin. I cannot sand them much because they are the grained finish, not smooth type doors. So pray in faith, knowing that there is incredible power in prayer and God personally directs this power for good. Once all your horizontal sections are taped, do the full glazing process on each section but make sure to brush left to right this time. Sand the door by hand with 80-grit sandpaper. Once I have covered the door in primer, I go back and catch any drips that might have accumulated in the corner of the panels. I just winged it. Don't try to sand the door smooth; just rough up the. The non-drip formula makes it ideal for vertical applications like doors and molding. You can use any latex paint as long as it is color-matched to those colors but the glaze is only sold at Lowes. Dip rag in mixture and apply it liberally to the wood as you would a stain, wiping over it with a rag to evenly distribute it. Let dry. My home is decorated in the Farmhouse style and all of my furniture I painted my self (all white). These verses together say that we will have anything we ask of God as long as it is according to His Will. How Do You Paint A Door To Look Like Wood Matching Your Home Decor? You will mix the paint, glaze and water in the ratio listed in step 4. *. GLAZE LAYER 2: This color and also Driftwood has the same shade (SW Van Dyke Brown) for layer one and two. Stain can be messy. NOTE: If small dots form in your brush strokes a few seconds after brushing on the mixture, your mixture is too thin so add some paint. Remove the door from the hinges, using a drill/driver. Dry and repeat coats until desired opacity. Immediately wipe away any excess. Dont settle for a tired, bleached-out door color when you can paint your door in any of 7 beautiful shades of faux wood grain. I also give you over 7 different shade options so you can get the exact look that matches your style and home decor. Doors are not easy but you make it look so simple. Start by using a brush on all the recessed areas and then use a roller on the flat surfaces. Thank you? (This was before I figured out how to paint my own lettering the easy way. I prefer this to going to the trouble of cleaning a nice brush with mineral spirits as this is an oil-based product. Follow this tutorial for taping off the different sections of your door but do the process listed here: Easy Raw Wood Finish With Paint. Make Anything Look Like Wood Wesley Treat 129K subscribers Subscribe 15K Share 1M views 4 years ago Note: Your results may vary! Im looking to do 3 bedrooms again and I think youve convinced me to go with Agreeable gray, which is one that I was considering anyway. Awesome Rita! Put on three coats all within 24 hours. Mix or shake your paint. Now go tackle one. 2. I dont know if it would work over a metal door. Wondering if this would work? Sander or Sandpaper for Light Sanding I love this low-cost sander with dust catcher. These look so expensive, and she spent $35 on this interior door makeover! Be sure to check out the video to see exactly how to do each step. I cant wait to try this! This step is all about teaching you how to glaze each section and on the next step, we will tape off and glaze different sections of the door. I loved the articles on the paint colors, too. Also, be sure to avoid direct sun while painting your garage door. Hey there! Debbie Manno (Debbiedoo's) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to (Debbiedoo's) (amazon.com). Apply the degreaser to the front and the back of each cabinet as well as to the frames. For more spiritual encouragement, click here for the rest of my project posts that also include Renovate Your Faith devotionals. They are super cheap compared to regular brushes and you can find them on Amazon here: Foam Brush Set, Top Coat (Recommended) My favorite for Interior Doors is Varathanes Water-Based Top Coat in Satin (see the current price here). For example, if your flooring is dark walnut, you can go lighter on your door to brighten things up a little. Roll it onto the trim or other project area in small, smooth batches. Now I am looking to redo the tops but didnt want to sand them all down and stain. Can I do your technique and stain over primer? Decide how many panes you'd like your window to have and purchase trim accordingly. Thank you! GLAZE LAYER 2: There is no layer 2 step for this shade. I bought the medium size can and it was more than enough. It already looked better than it ever did with the orange base color, but it still wasnt great. Yes! You can, and Ive done it before! On each of your last glaze passes, you can brush over just these areas vertically. Measure and mark middle of your window with a white pencil. I recommend them as they are good products. Use it as a white wash stain. So then when you apply your second coat of gel stain the variations in shading add to the dimension. Double Sliding Barn Door Joy. I would recommend however, giving everything a light sanding before you start. I let the door dry for the time recommended on the sealer, and in the end, I succeeded at painting my door to look like wood! You can do it! Good luck. When finished rubbing across the grain, rub the stain with the grain and allow to penetrate to preferred tone. Before applying your base coat, put down any plastic tarps or drop cloths around your work area. How to Make a Door Look Like Wood Step by Step Guide Step 1: Sand and Tape Off Hardware or Remove Hardware You will want to make sure that you sand down the door until it is nice and smooth. 6.15.1 Faux Stain Mixture (You will use this ratio for all 6 shades of stain paints) 6.16 Why Make a Faux Stain with Latex Paint. Wonderful info here, however Im wondering if Im not understanding correctly about the directions on the Mahogany door. look whos tutorial popped up when I googled wood grain door.