Jollof Rice:I cant think of a more popular West African dish than Jollof rice. Posted on Published: June 1, 2020- Last updated: October 8, 2021. Im Jamaican but I love Nigerian food and will continue making this recipe. TIP: By the way, if you want the smokey taste of most party Jollof rice popular in Nigeria, cooking on firewood, or using a stainless steel pot will give that extra flavor as well. Ingredients 5 medium sized Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped 1 medium sized onion, roughly chopped, set aside what a delicious rice dish! I'm fully Ghanaian and I know how I loved jollof, growing up. Proud of you for putting your cooking skills to the test. .dpsp-content-wrapper.dpsp-size-large .dpsp-network-btn.dpsp-has-label:not(.dpsp-has-count){ Everything looks easy to follow. Okay, this jollof recipe is my new go-to! However, these are more common in thieboudienne and other Sahel regions of West Africa. So flavorful, I will definitely be making it again! 2 tsps of curry6. Prep the ingredients; remove the chorizo from the casing and slice into about 1 pound coin rounds. This typically works quite well for getting those bits un-stuck. Fry for just under a minute. Curry powder, thyme, scotch bonnet, and bay leaf are the best spices to make a flavorful Jollof rice. Add in the chicken broth and deglaze the bottom of the Dutch oven with it, bringing it to a low simmer to get all of the stuck on browned bits off the bottom. Stir continuously to make sure it is not burning at the bottom. Required fields are marked *, Welcome to Sims Home Kitchen! It is often cooked in large quantities, over a wood fire and is described as having a smoky flavour, which comes from the charring at the bottom of the huge three-legged vats that caterers use. Always stay close to ur jollof rice, when u notice that the water is in the same level with the rice deep ur spoon to the bottom of the pot and raise ur rice up this will allow the water to go down then cover do this one or two minutes interval till the water dries up. Few months ago, I stop using foil because of its chemical. I was not so keen on doing that, so I thought I would add some smoked paprika and some smoked ground black pepper to give it a bit of a smoky flavor. You can now even find jollof mix spice blends in some stores depending on your location. I just came across your recipe because Ive been craving for it, and also want to make it for my fiance. :) And yes, smoked paprika is easier to use than wood, but on the other hand, wood is more genuine, I suppose, and actually an interesting thing to try. m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) The video is for another method of cooking jollof rice using another type of rice (basmati). my own theories as to how it happened that the modern-day jollof, a rice dish filled with ingredients that are not indigenous to West Africa, came to be, which you can read about in my. Add the vegetable and heat until hot, then add chopped onions and fry until translucent (like 2 minutes) Add boiled pepper mix, curry powder, dried thyme, bouillon powder and mix to combine. As we are focusing on Ghanaian jollof rice here, it pays to note that the choice of rice will vary greatly across the different West African regions. Cover pot with aluminum foil, to avoid heat from escaping through lid, Once cooked, mix thoroughly to combine ingredients. margin-left: -32px !important; . Jollof rice is a staple in West African cuisine. Add sliced onions and saut about 3 minutes until soft. Once all ingredients are in the pot, they reduce the sauce to a thick and rich oily mixture. It was a hit with us We love observing an oil film at the top of a stew or sauce. For example, Ofada rice and other types of hard-to-cook local varieties are not suitable for jollof. I made this recipe for thanksgiving 2021. Once the oil is hot pour in the blended mixture and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes. Roasting the red bell peppers and fresh tomatoes gives the jollof rice a smoky flavor. In today's video, I shared My Nigerian Basmati Jollof Rice with no Tomato Paste Recipe. Do you have any suggestions on how to save my rice? Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya Add in your blended mixture, crayfish, Maggi, cayenne & black pepper, white pepper, bay leaves, curry powder, garlic, thyme. Trying this recipe once more Only using 2 cups of rice this time. Win-win! I just wanted to share that part but my home also smells delicious and I can't wait to share this new rice with my family today! Please, in honor of our Ghanaian mamas who pride themselves in "jollofing" skills, can we ask for a repost of this recipe's photo in a more palatable way. According to Wikipedia the name Jollof derives from the name of the Wolof people, though in Senegal and Gambia the dish is referred to in Wolof as theibou dienne or benachin. Then they add tomatoes, garlic, peppers, and ginger. your rice is so yummmm yummm i love beans so good i ove you 1000000/2. Ill definitely be checking out your other recipes. Ozoz now skips that step and adds the stock in with the tomato and pepper mixture, adding the rice in raw. All rights reserved. Ghanaians consume an average of 25,000 tonnes of tomato paste in a year at a . Jollof Rice is an excellent way to introduce people from around the world to the exotic tastes of Africa. a stiffer grain that does not stick together when cooked. Everyone loved it. Yum! My family loved it. Never made rice with tomato puree, but this one looks interesting. How this dish then managed to lend itself to the rest of West Africa as jollof, jellof or jallof still remains a mystery. We will be reviewing this recipe based on your and our other readers' comments. Finally add bay leaves and 1/2 a thinly sliced onion (optional), stir and leave to cook on a low heat until done. Thanks so much for this recipe. Its popular for good reason it is delicious! } Links in this article may be affiliate links. Remove and discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. max-height: 40px; Heat the cooking oil in a large pan over medium heat, then add the diced onions and let them cook for about 3 minutes or until they are soft. Thats wonderful! Storage Instructions Leftover Jollof Rice can be stored in a dry container with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. .dpsp-share-text.dpsp-hide-on-mobile, And everyone like it and want more and more. Thank you for the recipe! It was so good that when I saw your recipe I knew I had to try it myself. And yes you are correct it is 1/4 cup of tomato puree. Thanks Chef Dennis! It's too moist to be Ghanaian. You should monitor your rice as it cooks, adding more water as necessary to keep the rice grains moist. Add the reduced tomato-pepper-Scotch bonnet mixture, stir, and set on medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes till reduced by half, with the lid partly on. Add garlic, ginger and bay leaves and cook about 2 minutes longer, stirring frequently. (Be careful with this step, so you dont burn the whole rice). Nigerians prefer the plump and separated grain effect of par boiled rice such as Uncle Bens style rice, easy cook rice, or what we now know as Golden Sella Basmati rice. This is what gives jollof rice its notorious orange colour! Traditional Nigerian Jollof Rice does not include vegetables or any other type of protein. He loved it! For those of you who arent familiar with Jollof Rice(Jellof rice) it is a rich and incredibly rich, aromatic, tasty West African one-pot Meal. All of your tips for troubleshooting are spot on for making the perfect pot of jollof. I use Maggi cubes in most of my cooking for the boost of flavor it gives. Jollof Rice - FeelGoodFoodie This recipe for jollof rice can be customized in many ways to suit your tastes and preferences, you could add any of your favorite vegetables (diced carrots, green beans, sweet peas, or sweet corn). Jollof rice is a dish popular not only in Nigeria but in several other West-African countries, such as Senegal or Gambia, Ghana or Sierra Leone. Mix and allow cook for an additional 10 mins. Now Party Rice is essentially Smoky Jollof Rice, traditionally cooked over an open fire. I have had my own theories as to how it happened that the modern-day jollof, a rice dish filled with ingredients that are not indigenous to West Africa, came to be, which you can read about in my Party Jollof recipe. Too many people in this world think they are so much more superior than others by hating on community's that clearly have a lot of love for something. Cover the pot again, and let it cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the rice has fully blended in with the mixture. The steaming enables the rice to absorb nutrients and changes the starch so that it cooks into a firmer, less sticky dish of rice than regular white rice. . Ive been slacking lately on the food posts, but since its fall time, I guess its only right for me to jump back on the food post wagon. So, I just assume that this slightly letting the rice burn is just the way it is supposed to be when cooking this Nigerian dish. This Nigerian Jolly Rice looks like the best new staple to add to my rotation! 3 tsps of chicken seasoning8. Glad you all enjoyed it. It's made from rice, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and other seasonings. I wrote in the post about the palm oil issue, some people seem to use it and some not. The Romanian version is spiced the Romanian style, which means barely spiced actually, just some garlic and thyme, salt and pepper. If you like, add sliced onions, fresh tomatoes and the 2nd teaspoon of butter and stir through. Other vegetables that can be used are cabbage, aubergines (eggplant), and tubers such as cassava or potatoes. This step may have come out of food and nutrition or catering lessons, as the result is a beautifully bright garnish, however, it is a very common step in Ghana. It is also the most served food at Nigerian parties!In this video, I showed how I made this deliciousness without adding 2 key ingredients that your typical jollof rice recipe would have.I hope you enjoy it!Ingredients1. However, another reader told me that palm oil is used when making this dish, so I suppose the choice is yours. Pour the blended mixture into the pot and fry it together with the tomato paste. So good! Its served as a main course for lunch or dinner in Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia, Senegal, and Mali. Next up are the canned tomato, fresh tomatoes, bell peppers, scotch bonnet, onions, garlic, and gingereach of which adds a unique flavor and texture to your dish! The rice cooks in a rich and spicy tomato-based sauce, giving it a bright color. My rice came out sooo good. Step two. .dpsp-network-btn.dpsp-has-label:not(.dpsp-has-count) { It is a very versatile dish, and it is usually made from scratch using rice, tomatoes, pimento peppers, tomato paste, scotch bonnet, onions, salt, and other spices. Because Jollof Rice is Bae, and much loved South of the Sahara and along the coast of West Africa.Spiced and stewed in a flavorful tomato broth, it is everything from "everyday" to celebration. Freda, Ghana's joffof rice is not typically cooked with the meats in it nor mixed vegetables. This recipe for Ghanaian jollof rice brings you a brightly colored red/orange rice dish, with wonderful spice and rich and saucy beef (or other meat). Thank you! We will be doing some testing of Freda's recipe to see what adjustments need to be made and to update to new pictures based on your and other readers' suggestions. what the hell have i just read? We need Jesus; to guide us, help us. Add in the cooked ofada rice and green onions. I liked this version even better. But the third component of todays Ghanaian jollof rice recipe. Once the stew is thick, with an oily film forming on the surface, remove half the meat stew from the pot and set it aside for serving. We don't wash the rice with hot water or soak it. No need to be intimidated you just need the right recipe! Note that the world might consider this a side but in Nigeria, it is the main. From simple healthy soups to sumptuous cakes for special occasions, all our recipes have been tried and loved by our family and our friends.More about me, @2022 - Where Is My Spoon. For those with an experienced eye for rice, this would normally be about 500ml (2 cups). Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. The classic version is cooked with long-grain rice (Uncle Ben's/Carolina's) and seasoned with Nigerian-style curry powder and dried thyme. It can be enjoyed with chicken, beef, lamb meat, goat meat, or fish. justify-content: center; I find that the choice of meat will determine the direction of spices used. Jollof is deliciously addictive. We tried it for the very first time and everyone loved it in my family. I saw this on Pinterest and I knew I had to try it. You can also check for moredelicious Nigerian recipeshere. It's no news that celebrities' opinions during the general elections carry a lot of influence; hence, many politicians invest in celebrities' stomach infrastructure to get their endorsement. I would love to make this for my family soon. Add in the rest of the ingredients, the cooked steak and water; and bring to a boil. .wprm-recipe-instructions li .mv-ad-box { Stir ricetaste and adjust as required. However, each of these countries has its variation of this meal. I cant wait to make this recipe for the family! (This is a preference particular to Ghanaians, who will often eat jollof rice with additional stew on the side.). We appreciate your support if you make purchases through our links. *Scotch bonnet peppers are quite spicy, which will give significant heat to this dish, as is traditional. Add water to cover the rice and cook over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onions and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes or till the onions become soft. I personally like to cover the pot with aluminum foil before putting on the lid just to make sure the heat stays within the pot without escaping from the lid hole. Nigerian Jollof Rice (with Tomatoes and Spices) - Where Is My Spoon Rinse with tap water till the water is clear, Also IMO the only sauce allowed on Jollof rice is shito for extra spicy kick. This was smelling so great! Blend until you have a smooth, spicy paste. Thank you so much for this recipe! Curry Powder- adds a spicy touch to this recipe. 1 . If you prefer more medium or mild food, adjust the amount of scotch bonnet pepper according to your preferences. Nothing but trouble with the recipe - seems like there is way too much liquid and it's not reducing enough at all. I love a good versatile recipe like this! Tomato is an indispensable part of Ghanaian cuisine and it is heavily consumed in the processed form as tomato paste. (The rice is washed to remove excess starchiness, which can make the final dish gloopy or sticky.). Jollof rice originates from West Africa, where its a prominent staple food. Love the combination of flavors in this rice dish. Surely that stops the majority of the steam from escaping, resulting in practically no reduction. You may adjust the quantity. Add the garlic and ginger a few seconds before adding your tomato puree (tomato paste). Top up the pot with enough water or broth. Remove the lid and foil and gently fluff the rice. Nigerian Jollof Rice a spicy and vibrant one-pot tomato rice, which will become a family favorite in no time, this is probably the best-known Nigerian food recipe. Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Signature Sauteuse, Five Two Double-Sided Bamboo Cutting Board. Fry onion until a bit softer, about 3 minutes. Oh, and one last thing: If you want to make your curry powder blend from scratch, this Nigerian-style version from Ozoz is the way to go. I love this. Please let me know how well it turns out for you. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat up some olive oil over medium high heat. Classic Nigerian Jollof Rice Ingredients 1/3 cup oil (vegetable/canola/coconut, not olive oil) 6 medium-sized fresh plum/Roma tomatoes, chopped, OR a 400-gram tin of tomatoes 6 fresh, red poblano peppers (or 4 large red bell peppers), seeds discarded 3 medium-sized red onions (1 sliced thinly, 2 roughly chopped), divided Thank you so much! I'm sorry to hear this. This is rice that has been parboiled in the husk before milling. And that crusty layer at the bottom of the pan is absolutely delicious while eating I was wishing there was more of it there. Deseed the bell peppers and dice them into uniform pieces. Good recipe but this definitely looks too moist. Add in the minced garlic and fry until browned and fragrant. It was fairly easy to make, and was full of such robust and amazing flavors. A Nigerian feast starts with Jollof rice - Inquirer.com HOW DARE YOU. However, if you can find any Scotch bonnet and like spicy food, you should definitely choose that kind of chili then. Add rice and bay leaves and mix well. @media screen and ( max-width : 720px ) { Jollof rice is a wildly popular dish across West Africa, and every region has its own variations. With a bit of practice, youll get a feel for the exact right amount of water and rice to combine for the dish. Once the grains are cooked it is ready. Jollof Rice Recipe | How to Cook rice in Nigeria - All Nigerian Foods Hate is not needed in this community !!!!!!!! How to Cook Nigerian Jollof Rice! | Without tomato puree! Thank you for sharing. Oh my this rice recipe looks easy to make and super delicious! Eniola Badmus, Toyin Abraham, Chioma Akpotha & TOP Celebrities Who Some stores like Walmart also carry a similar brand for a fraction of the price. Cook until the rice is almost dry and cooked through. Heat about 4 tablespoons of canola oil and butter in a medium-sized pot on medium heat and throw in some chopped red onions. Can't believe the rice is this hard and crispy! Your email address will not be published. Hers was absolutely delicious. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Once it begins to boilafter about 3 to 5 minutes, reduce the heat immediately to low and steam until the rice is doneabout 30 minutes. , If you make this recipe, Id love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram and Facebook.#cheflolaskitchen, African Christmas Recipes You Need To Try. Add the tomato-pepper puree and simmer, often stirring, for about 10 minutes. Just thought you should know. Since I was in the party mood yesterday, I decided to prepare myself this awesome dish to celebrate our independence. Also, you will need to add tomato puree paste or concentrate to this recipe. I posted a few pictures of the food on my instagramand was completely blown away by the number of people who wanted my recipe. With the right recipe, Jollof rice can be made quite easily. I've never made Jollof Rice (or indeed any African food). Its simple and easy to make at homeand the end result is absolutely delicious! I previously mentioned jambalaya as a dish that is similar to jollof rice. Nigerian Jollof Rice a spicy and vibrant one-pot tomato rice, which will become a family favorite, this is probably the best-known Nigerian food recipe. I dont even want to go into the issue of the trending Jollof wars, especially between Nigeria and Ghana. Once the oil separates I let it cool down before blending it and mixing it with my rice.