I love the Fender Deluxe, and I play the Vox AC30 quite a bit. Clearly, he knows a thing or two about what it takes to make great records. And he plans on doing likewise with The Dirty Knobs guitarist Jason Sinay, whom Agnesi has just hooked up with a matching white Firebird.His was not signed by Johnny Winter, though! retorts Campbell. Thats how I learned how to bend strings, by hearing him do it, slowing it down and thinking, Oh you have to push this down to get the string to make that sound. I learned a lot of phrasing and scales I just love the way he played on that record. Campbell cant recall what year the model is, but it wasnt super-old and that is never the attraction about the guitars. And I dont know if I ever really learned much on it I couldnt figure out how to tune it. Well, nothings written in stone. Duesenbergs: good guitars? - Gearspace.com The truth is the new ones just arent as good, are they? Premier Guitar features affiliate links to help support our content. Mentioned in this March 1983 Musician article. Then out of the Whammy and into the tuner," says Mike Campbell's guitar tech when the Digitech Whammy II Guitar Effects Pedal is shown in the rig rundown. No, were not good trackers (laughs)! And I have a 1940 00-18, which is Rick Rubins favorite. Heres how it works. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: Live At The Fillmore (1997) We have an Ovation 12-string that we made into a high-string we took off six regular strings and just kept the high strings its called Nashville tuning. "Ill maybe do a song here and there, but to do a whole album is really taking on their life.. And those are the things I end up going back and listening to again, more than the newer stuff. Youve said that it was kind of cool for you personally because it didnt carry the pressure of being the front man, so you got to sit back and play. I think I gave it to a friend when I got a Stratocaster. 3-4 of this interview in Tone Quest Report Vol. We found three of them. Mary Jane's Last Dance - What amp is Mike Campbell using? Next, the video moves onto a '80s - '90s-era white Firebird V Campbell picked up while on tour with Fleetwood Mac. He had a band called Mudcrutch, kind of a country-rock band, that was playing around the university. Hes been a co-producer on some of the most successful albums in rock history. Its been a while since Ive done that, because I realised its really a lot of work, Campbell says with a laugh, though hes clearly serious about his work ethic. If there was three of us playing, one of us might play that. Yeah, well is was back in days of the Vietnam draft, and I had drawn a really low number, so I knew I was going to be called if I dropped out. But for recording, I like the smaller Fenders Deluxes and Princetons. I want to play good instruments, and I dont have much patience with new instruments. In fact, I was starting to think you were tracking, which didnt make any sense. And, like any guitar lover, he remembers it all via the guitars he crossed paths with along the way My dad always used to play Elvis records, Campbell recalls of his first musical inspirations. Its a 67, which I actually bought a couple of tours ago in New Jersey, Campbell says. As for the infamous Rickenbacker that accompanies Petty on the cover of 1979s Damn The Torpedoes, Campbell says its as important to him as it is to every guitar lover whos stared at it over the years. Future Publishing Limited Quay House, The Ambury, I was watching a Rig Rundown and I saw the settings listed below. Well, typically, a Heartbreakers record will be the whole band setting up and tracking at the same time. SPONSORED. I added a treble pickup and it became a really nice guitar. duplicated, some of them were edited or compiled together. I was telling somebody the other day, the only place I feel pressure when we tour is the Garden. If you were looking for something that little bit different with a stunning iconic tone then this is the guitar for you. It was Georges. I got it in Florida for $200, which I did not have at the time, but a friend of a friend had been in an automobile accident and got a settlement, so she had some extra money. The tour includes a headlining show at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival on April 28 and at the UK's Isle of Wight . Whens the last time you couldnt get a guitar that you wanted because you just didnt have the cash handy? Campbell relies on a rare Dunlop Camel Toe for his distortion, a Line 6 DL-4, the Green Meanie switch (which brings his Fender Excelsior amp in and out), a DigiTech Whammy II, Line 6 MM-4, a custom switch for his 1962 reissue Fender reverb tank, a Boss RC-30, and a Boss TU-2 tuner. I hate to part with a lot of these [guitars], but something's got to go.. I also bought an early-60s Les Paul Custom in white. "This '54 Tele - it's a favorite Tele. We used to call it the mystery guitar. No,I had a three-speed turntable, so I could slow down 45s to 33 r.p.m., and 33s down to 16. Then it splits off. "For instance, on I Wont Back Down, I have the Gretsch Clipper tuned to an open tuning that I use for that slide part. The Beatles were a big deal, and in 1964 everyone wanted a guitar. Holding the groove down and a sense of melody, tone all of those things. The first song I ever played on guitar was Baby Let Me Follow You Down. A friend had the Bob Dylan record, and he taught me the chords to that. England and Wales company registration number 2008885. Mike had some really weird little guitar that he played slide on. How did that happen? Well, its mostly about the groove, isnt it? I finally just threw it in the corner and got an electric Kay. H eartbreakers' guitarist Mike Campbell vividly remembers the first time his star bandmate Tom Petty heard a recording of him singing. Mike Campbell was best known as Tom Petty 's right-hand man for decades. As long as weve been doing this, we still draw from the same places and people who inspired us when we were young. Rig Rundown - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Mike Campbell, Rig Rundown: Starcrawler's Henri Cash - Premier Guitar | The best guitar and bass reviews, videos, and interviews on the web. Like with Bob, wed worked together for years at that point. We used a variety of guitars; Jeff has some nice old Stratocasters, and as the months went on, we filled his house with a lot of our guitars. He was real good at that, so it was kind of a fresh direction. Tom said, This isnt bad. Bath My Guitars - A New Video Series | HuffPost Entertainment His favorite 12-string is the Tom Petty solidbody, which we did use on the record quite a bit. I bought this Rickenbacker six-string bass from the 60s. So far, has everything on tour gone as planned in terms of crowd response, especially to the new tracks? Theyve cloned it for me and are going to reissue that soon. I was walking around in Hartford, Connecticut and saw they had an SG Junior and the Gretsch Clipper. Through that experience, I got some records and really got interested in 50s rock. Rockpalast Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (Live) 1999, Andrew Hendryx on a 64 Fender Mandocaster, George Bowen Guitar Summit to Benefit ALS Research, Guitarist/Producer Yates McKendree Shines on Wise, Vinnie Moores Pandemic Musical Inspiration, Seymour Duncan Sails Into VG Hall of Fame. The Anatomy Of - Satyr - Heavy Blog Is Heavy So we met up with them and Benmont (Tench, keyboardist for the Heartbreakers) to put a demo session together. But it was fun. Are there a couple of especially fond memories of those recording sessions? What do you remember about opening it up on that Christmas Day? How old were you when you started writing songs? Ive refinished it since that day. Guitarist plays $40 Harley Benton on arena tour, Marshall pedal reissues finally confirmed. Those two bottles and an old tshirt will get your D-28 looking great. And then I started to move forward. Its a little-body one. I didnt have an idea of playing until I saw the Beatles, and then I thought, This might be something I can do.. As soon as I got the guitar and knew a few chords, I tried to write songs, because I didnt know a lot of songs. In terms of bass players in the Heartbreakers, is there a way to compare and contrast the styles of Ron Blair and Howie Epstein? And on a lot of his solo work its more piecemeal, like bringing a song in and building it. Im told your guitar collection includes a Rickenbacker that has so far avoided full identification. So I suggested to the drummer from my band, Go try out. And he brought them over to our house and it turned out they had lost their guitar player, so he said, Theres a guy here who plays. So I sat in, and we both joined Mudcrutch that same day. So it has the same wiring and sound as Georges. He was a member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and co-wrote many of the band's hits with Petty, including "Refugee", "Here Comes My Girl", "You Got Lucky", and "Runnin' Down a Dream". Its the one Ive used the most, and I bought it because Roger McGuinn played one. Its kind of a noble pursuit, in a way. Usually, but not on Highway Companion; Jeff Lynne played bass on this one. Free shipping. It makes a beautiful sound. I have decided to sell some of the nicer pieces.. I used it on Fooled Again [(I Dont Like It)], Strangered In The Night, even the solo on Listen To Her Heart is doubled on a 12-string with this underneath to make it thick. As for guitars, perhaps the most noteworthy items are a Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite that has an onboard compressor a far-out choice that he used while rehearsing with Fleetwood Mac and a B-Bender-equipped 1970s Gibson Les Paul Standard. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: Tom Petty (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Mike Campbell (vocals, guitar, bass); Benmont Tench (piano, electric pianos, organ, Chamberlin, Clavinet); Howie Epstein (bass, background vocals).Additional personnel: Scott Thurston (acoustic & electric guitars); Steve Ferrone (drums); Lenny Castro (percussion).Producers: Tom Petty, Mike Campbell, Rick Rubin.Engineers . Ill do it. And I loved it. The Official Mike Campbell Reverb Store is online from Wednesday, July 21. Mike Campbell & The Dirty Knobs have unveiled a new track from their forthcoming album External Combustion. Jimmy Iovine came in to produce it, and we had a big hit (Refugee). It was funny how the song went around the corner and came back to where it shouldve been. We made some demos, sent them out to a bunch of record companies, and got rejected by almost everybody except for London and Denny Cordells label, Shelter. Guitar Center 1.03M subscribers Mike Campbell's guitar playing and songwriting come from a place of joy from his long career with Tom Petty & The Heartbreaks, to joining Fleetwood Mac in.