Both times I did the hike, the security guard yelled at us from a distance but didnt seem to chase after us or call the police. Every trail I hike on this island and other islands is overrun, regulate yes, shut down no and certainly dont be a condescending dick about something you have zero authority over. Not willing to change her identity to be part of the industry, Mahina Florence is at the height of her career because of her flawless Hawaiian complexion, strong athletic build, and friendly aloha spirit. A guy yelled and cussed at us and sprayed us with water with blue dye. The first 4.5 miles are perfectly legal and get you the same views as stairway (and you can walk on the stairway at the top if you want to). All anyone posts on here is about hiking the "legal" way, its not. It was actually easier to me than Mount Olympus , just a LOTTTTTT longer. Im Jackson, an Australian adventure traveler who has been on the road for eight years now. The trailhead area below the stairs is patrolled by a security guard around the clock, and sometimes the Honolulu police are called. At this point, it becomes a ridge walk as you keep gradually ascending to the radio tower, and even on a cloudy day the views are spectacular. You can read more here: https://www.haikustairs.org/. If you hike up the Moanalua trail and then down the stairs, youre still risking a fine, because the stairway is not legal. Puu Keahi a Kahoe is the end of this trail, but symbolically it serves as a beginningit marks the start of the ahupuaa(land division) of Kaneohe. Cause of death for California family found during Sierra hike - Los The Haiku Stairs Hawaii hike is steep and strenuous, but the toughest part is the first 1/3rd of the stairway leading up to platform one. We explored a few hundred meters down an abandoned set of stairs, quite sketchy and not recommended before turning back and returning towards the radio tower. Its Definitely challenging get rest water food. Keep in mind, the adventurers MUST be respectful to neighbourhood residents living in this area. (A proper trail runner or hiking shoe. The main reason to take the back way is just to stay legal and rule out any possible fines. Please be respectful to the place we call home and follow the rules. If you do choose to continue on past the legal boundary and to the illegal area of the radio tower and reach the Haiku Stairs, this is what you can expect. Unfortunately, in September 2021, the city administration randomly reversed this decision and decided they would rather spend $1.3 million to remove the stairs, which could happen as soon as 2023. Native plants along the ridge and rare apapane (Hawaiian honeycreeper) sightings aside, the hike has grown in popularity over the years because of its whispered status as a legal access route, the back way, to the infamous HaikuStairs. A headlamp, rain jacket, and good hiking boots or shoes are the three main pieces of gear you need. Get an early start, because parking fills up fast. There are a few more rope sections and some very deep, muddy crevasses you will have to sneak through before you reach the top of this hike. Officials said he collapsed while hiking the Moanalua Valley. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. My issue isn't with people hiking to the stairs, its with people using Moanalua to hike to the stairs and not caring about the impact they are leaving while doing so. Get all the stories you need-to-know from the most powerful name in news delivered first thing every morning to your inbox. The trail is a legal hike and you should have no issues on the route towards the summit. One of the main challenges of climbing the Hawaii Stairway To Heaven trail is just finding where it starts. Future Of The Haiku Stairs Open / Closed? When she willed the entire ahupuaa of Moanalua to Damons father in 1884, the luxurious valley home was built.) They are fairly obvious when you cross over them and from the time you start there will be 17 crossings prior to the Middle Ridge Trailhead. Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs is the only legal trail, and it is recommended for very experienced hikers. Pass the little sign and stream and itll be on your right. Steep drops on both sides, but the metal Haiku stairs and railings are surprisingly solid. Continue on the main trail up and up and up. The valley itself is historical, with the earliest human inhabitants dating back to the 1500s. Thanks for your support. Toa Luau at Waimea Valley. From plantation towns to planned communities, Central Oahu has its share of secret spots, a bumper crop of bowling alleys and neighborhood eats. Subscribe to my newsletter for the latest blog posts, tips, & travel guides. JT, do think anyone cares about the rules and laws you cite? Im 100% in favor of keeping the stairway and letting hikers continue to hike it, but, David, you might want to add another item to bring with you on this hike a respectful & considerate disposition. The trail takes you to the same lookout as the Haiku Stairs. Park in the Moanalua Valley Neighborhood Park parking lot at 1857 Ala Aolani St. As you walk up the dirt road, you will reach a chain link gate leading to the dirt road. Still, thousands of people make the climb every year, and for good reason its one of the most spectacular hikes on Earth! Heed no trespassing and other warning signs. Moanalua Middle Ridge (Honolulu) - All You Need to Know - Tripadvisor Stowell's body was found roughly 400 feet below the third peak of Mount Olomana's hiking trail, officials said. A man who was hiking Hawaii's Olomana Trail reportedly plummeted hundreds of feet to his death on Sunday after he reportedly tried to grab his hat, marking the fourth death linked to the dangerous trail since 2011. This is a fun hike in central Oahu that leads to multiple water falls! The police sometimes send an officer to hike up to the summit to give out fines and one time a police helicopter even landed up there. The Moanalua Valley Trail to Haiku stairs hiking route is one of the most adventurous hikes on Oahu. It's not about the rules and laws I've cited. The trail becomes quite adventurous with many sections becoming quite narrow and requiring a rope to pull yourself up the slippery, gravel surface. Moanalua (Kamananui) Valley Trail on Oahu. This hike was so challenging and worthwhile, probably one of my favorite hikes I have ever done. More recently, Honolulu Mayor Blangiardi has publicly stated he may be willing to consider new options to save the Haiku Stairs, and Hawaii Senator Schatz has pitched the idea of handing it over to the federal government to renovate and operate, with a different entrance so all parties are happy. The fine is reportedly $1000 if you are ticketed at the summit or on the stairs. There should be more information about this soon. After graduating with a journalism degree, I set off to explore the world while creating adventure travel guides featuring hikes, waterfalls, beaches & adrenaline activities. 44 Hawaiian and Pidgin Phrases Every Visitor Needs to Know, 20 Thoughts Every Hiker has had on the Trail Up Koko Head Crater, Shop These 5 Sophisticated Aloha Shirt Brands, The Enduring Nostalgia of Hawaii's Historic Drive-In Restaurants, Find Solitude and Serenity at the Waipio Wayside Bed and Breakfast, How (And Where) To Watch the Massive Waves on Oahu's North Shore. Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets The small section damaged by the storm is not steep. Ghosts and Night Marchers in Moanalua Mysteries of Hawai'i Park off the Old Pali Highway before the lookout in the dirt parking lot. Know your physical abilities and limitations; select trails that can be enjoyed safely. Whoever JT is he needs to lighten the hell up. Moanalua/Kamananui Valley Trail Hard 4.7 (4054) Honolulu Watershed Forest Reserve Photos (5,132) Directions Print/PDF map Length 9.2 miElevation gain 2,998 ftRoute type Out & back Enjoy this 9.2-mile out-and-back trail near Honolulu, Oahu. Suddenly youre alone on the mountain. August 10, 1928 - February 22, 2023 Sister Mary Ellen Sprouffske, C.S.J. But, this is just the beginning, and there are more to scale, a handful of which require ropes already strung along its steepest sections, and I gather this will be the theme of the day: up and down, then up again until theres nowhere else to climb. All rights reserved. I hope my travels give you the motivation to set off on an epic adventure of your own. So windy with no microspikes, gloces. Mahalo! Moanalua Valley has a rich cultural history that is important to the people of Hawaii. There were 2 other parties of 2 hiking that day, plus a group at the top who came from the other trail that made them muddy and take much longer. Non-potable stream water can be found through out the valley. This hike is just one trail located in the Ewa Forest Preserve. Basically, politics and money got in the way of this epic hike. In this web series,we bring you our favorite Oahu trails once a month. (Facebook/Nathan Stowell). I think even not super experienced hikers can complete as long as they take at their own pace. Its not quite the same experience as climbing the stairs from the bottom up, but you can still reach the Hawaii Stairway To Heaven trail at the top and go back down in either direction when youre done. Loved every minute of it! Even the Kalalau Trail is open in Kauai despite being much more risky than the Stairway To Heaven. Ive done most of the hikes on the island before. No experience and with a 8 year old. Went up the stairs last week with wife and baby. Trail reports are used to indicate a trails current condition and inform builders and other riders about any issues on a trail. Too many litterbugs on the island sadly. Dont forget to check out my other Oahu hiking guides and my complete list of the best things to do in Oahu Hawaii! Not runners, not tennis, etc. This is the trail that leads you up the Moanalua Ridge, also known as the Moanalua Middle Ridge. The Moanalua Valley Trail to Haiku stairs hiking route is one of the most adventurous hikes on Oahu. The first 2.9 miles are fairly straightforward with only 100ft of elevation each mile. There are dozens of other legal trails that give you a similar view that you can hike. I noticed families on the trail, along with babies being carried by their parents. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Been there. As someone who grew up in a nearby neighborhood in the 80s and still has a good family friend that lives IN the Haiku stairs neighborhood Ill tell you one thing hiking blogs and social media posts dont seem to mention the history of bad behavior from young, disrespectful hikers who arrive at 4am, dont even try to keep their noise levels down, cut through the backyards of residents, and use residents hoses to rinse off after hiking the stairway. After that, it should be pretty straightforward. Climbing Haiku Stairs on Oahu - realhawaii.co Dinner and Show Tickets. Firefighters said that the rivers crossing the trail were at a dangerously high level. Thank you for sharing your experience and pics. Please be prepared! Please do not bring your babies, this hike is far too dangerous for young children. A grueling 3,922 stairs lead up the imposing mountain ridge, often at an almost vertical incline, with only a handrail to catch you from falling into the valley below. There is one short section of stairs that was mangled in a storm, but the damage is pretty minimal and you can pass that part without any trouble. This is a small playground area for children and at the back of the grass area, the paved trail begins. The views are incredible and worth every minute and mile of this trail. WHAT IS THE BEST CHEAP BACKPACKER TRAVEL INSURANCE? ALLTRAILS and the AllTrails Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United States as well as certain other jurisdictions. ", James Keener, of Hawaii Fresh Farms where Stowell worked, according to his Facebook page, wrote that the 24-year-oldwas like a son to himand "died the way he lived, taking chances, and living everyday to its fullest.". This trail suits two- and four-legged hikers of most fitness levels. This hike is long, and the weather can change quickly along the trail as you ascend to just shy of 3,000ft elevation. As of 2023, there have never been any falling deaths on the Stairway To Heaven Hawaii hike. As the years have gone by and patience thinned then disappeared completely, hikers have tried to be more stealthy but its a little too late I dont know about you but if all that was happening on a near daily basis to my neighborhood, Id be pretty upset too! Now that you have made it onto the Moanalua Middle Ridge, the trail is quite easy to follow as it basically follows the ridgeline all the way up to the summit. It all goes back to a history of lawsuits from people getting injured while hiking in Oahu and then suing the state. per adult. 12. ", Barney Griggs, a spokesperson for the Hawaiian Trail and Mountain Club, said anyone who wants to hike the Olomana Trail "should be an experienced hiker. HFD suspends search for missing hiker - Hawaii News Now Oh my! -Rain jacket/windbreaker . Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your Parking: Park at the Moanalua Valley Park. FORT SHAFTER, Hawaii The Air Force has identified the airman who died Tuesday while hiking in Hawaii as Capt. I really hope they dont do that. Regular athletic shoes will not do the job. We did this trail in about 6.5 hours (both of us experienced hikers) with stoping for many photos and breaks. Keep in mind climbing begins over 2 miles from start point. Originally the stairs were built in 1942 by the U.S. Navy as a top-secret facility for transmitting radio signals to ships that were sailing in the Pacific Ocean. How to Get to Seven Bridges in Hawaii | USA Today I wouldnt recommend this trek if you have a big fear of heights, but most people who do the hike will agree its not nearly as bad as they expected. If you look closely, you can see the winding stairway. Cool ridge hike, 4hrs at 28 mins moving time. A City and County park provides bathrooms, potable water and garbage cans at the trail head. Best time for Moanalua Valley Trail to Haiku Stairs in Hawaii 2022 The Moanalua Valley Trail begins at the end of the Moanalua Valley Neighborhood Park. Anthony J. Polizzi, 31. The Kulana'ahane Trail offers unparalleled hiking through native Hawaiian forest to a scenic overlook. Date of experience: June 2019. Wow, the Haiku Stairs, although strenuous, it looks fun with great views and a sense of accomplishment at the end. All water should be . The stairs are hiked by thousands of people every year, but the status of the trail is still in limbo because the state of Hawaii is afraid of liability and cant decide what to do with the stairs. We dont know for sure what happened, but its more likely his death happened on the steep and muddy Moanalua trail, not the stairway. The seemingly level elevation from point A to point B can be misleading and the giddy nature of being so close can come with a lack of focus. Be careful on your footing & hand placements not all branches are build to hold your weight. More advanced hike along the ridge line. Drone shot of the mountain. There was also a hiker named Daylenn Pua who disappeared on the Moanalua Valley trail (the backside route that intersects with the Stairway To Heaven) and was never seen again. Aloha, for those that think this trail is legal and open to the public with no repercussions, you are wrong. There is parking outside the gate, which we recommend using in case you don't get back before they close the gates in the evening. Theres also a legal way to reach the top of the mountain by climbing it from the backside via Moanalua Valley trail, which Ill explain in more detail later in this guide. Views are worth it. Plan accordingly. No skate shoes.) You need to take the MIDDLE option. All Rights Reserved. Hike the Moanalua Middle Ridge Trail to the Haiku Stairs Peak Recommended. I'm David, an American with a passion for adventure, the outdoors, and all things travel. After the first three miles, when you start to ascend, it could get really slippery, if youre not an experienced hiker, DO NOT do this hike after rainy days. The steepest section of stairs is actually near the start of the hike, right before you reach the first platform. Honolulu Watershed Forest Reserve (Moanalua section). All rights reserved. Lol ALOHAAAAA. It may never be surpassed! The great part about this trail is that you have incredible views along the way and not just at the summit. Thanks for looking! The trail will cross the stream 28 more times before the last 1/4 mile of trail. To get to the trailhead, park outside the Moanalua Valley Park and the trail begins just after the green gate. Los Angeles Obituaries | Local Obits for Los Angeles, CA - Legacy.com How to Legally Hike to the Haiku Stairs | All Things Kate Haiku Stairs Map How might someone prepare to hike Stairway to Heaven? Family of hikers found dead on remote Sierra trail likely killed by heat, dehydration. This will lead you to an open grassy valley that gives you spectacular views of the valley. The trail to the top of the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) is prohibited. Not the one all the way to the left. The trail is open year-round and is beautiful to visit anytime. It is open 7A-7P but I started my hike at 6:15A and the gate was open. We are deeply saddened by the loss of Capt. I was extremely surprised at the amount of people who I crossed when I hiked it. This hike sounds like something I would love to do.