Each bite is hearty and satisfying; its the kind of soup that makes you feel cozy, warm, and cared for. Add shredded ham back to the cooker and serve warm. Please note that carb counts, calorie counts and general nutritional information varies greatly depending on the products you use. Ham and Bean Soup Crock Pot Recipe - The Foodie Affair Add the beans, bone, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. You can purchase fresh bay leaves in the herb section of large supermarkets. This is where the flour comes in. Wipe out the skillet and return it to medium heat. Pull out the bay leaf and the ham hock. Did this receipe in the instant pot for 15 min and slow release for 20. Cool slightly. Thank you, Blair! I'm going to use your recipe today, I'm adding cabbage to mine, but overall this seems like a solid recipe. Test Kitchen Tips. Fantastic instructions and great result! Ham and Cheese Sliders with Poppy Seed Drizzle. If you like a creamier soup, mash some of the beans to thicken the broth. Let soak for 12 hours, rinse again and drain. Dice the onion, peel and slice the carrots, slice the celery, and mince the garlic. Crock Pot Ham and Bean Soup - 101 Cooking For Two Return ham from ham hocks to soup. Step 3: Reduce the heat to medium-low heat and simmer for 15 minutes until warmed through. Stir together all the ingredients (except the parsley) in your slow cooker. Add the Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, chicken broth, water, ham, and white beans to the pot. 10 Best Old Fashioned Ham Bean Soup Recipes | Yummly Please read our disclosure policy. In addition to thickening ham and bean soup, you can also cook it uncovered so that the liquid evaporates, making it thicker. Turn heat down to medium and let it boil until the broth does not look watery, stirring often to prevent sticking (1-2 hours). Once it comes to a boil, add in undrained pinto beans. This is a keeper for my family , Yayy! You can do this with a potato masher, or you can use an immersion blender. Cut off the ham, chop it, and add it back to the beans before serving, discarding the gristle and bone. Totally from-scratch recipes are awesome, but most days call for quick-and-easy dishes with no-nonsense, already have on hand ingredients. So glad that you enjoyed it. For a thicker soup, mash or puree some of the beans at the end of cooking. Of course, you can never beat a classic soup-and-salad comboI think my Ham and Bean Soup recipe pairs especially well with my, If soup-and-a-sandwich is more your style, try this soup with my, This recipe freezes beautifully. Simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the beans are done and the mixture has blended flavors well. Home Soups Bean Soups Ham & Bean Soups. This old fashioned ham and beans recipe pairs tender white beans with smoky ham for true, homemade comfort. Hiya, you can use canned beans and reduce the time to a few hours. Thank you so much for your feedback and recipe rating! Add onions, garlic and diced ham, and saute for a few minutes until the onions are translucent. This is the best ham and bean soup for any cooking level because its just so simple. Thank you for letting me know. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. This soup is a great example why. Cook on low 8 to 9 hours, or on high four to five hours, or until beans are tender. Add undrained Randall beans to the onions and ham. Stir in beans and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Cook and stir until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Such great comfort food. Add the slurry to the bubbling soup. In a large pot or saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Allow it to cool, transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag, and freeze it up to 3 months. Onions and Garlic: Theres big flavor in both of these humble ingredients. While they say chicken soup cures what ails ya, I have to put in a good word for Ham and Bean Soup. Us too! Slowly add in evaporated milk and chicken broth while stirring. Add enough water or broth to Ratings: 87 Calories: 163 per serving Category: Soup Place dried pinto beans in a colander and rinse under cold water. Im Kim. Top 40 Best Recipe For Ham And Bean Soup Recipes To do this, divide the soup into portions in freezer bags leaving inch of space to accommodate for expansion. Step 3: Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove meat from bone; discard fat, gristle, and . I recommend Great Northern Beans or Cannellini, but feel free to use your favorite. Adding cornstarch or flour to the ham and beans soup is a good way to thicken it. It was amazing didnt change anything. Add flour, and stir for 30 seconds to cook out raw flour flavor. Put rinsed beans in pan and cover up to 2 inches past beans in large pot -- let sit overnight. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. The sweetness of cranberry walnut bread also complements the savory ham in the soup. Stir in garlic and tomato paste, and cook for a few more minutes. Allow the bone to cool for 10-15 minutes. Stir in cubed ham and salt; heat through. Simple, hearty ham and bean soup is the kind of.css-1c1h30u{-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;text-decoration-thickness:0.0625rem;text-decoration-color:inherit;text-underline-offset:0.25rem;color:#12837c;-webkit-transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;}.css-1c1h30u:hover{color:#595959;text-decoration-color:border-link-body-hover;}easy dinner recipe you can fall back on again and again, especially in cold months. Cook on low 6 hours (for soaked beans) or 9 hours (for unsoaked beans). If you dont have a leftover bone to make this recipe, you can use smoked ham hocks instead. If soup-and-a-sandwich is more your style, try this soup with my Apple Orchard Panini or a classic grilled cheese. This is a soup i actually created 1-15 years ago for a few of my neighbors that chapped to Hispanic and some didn't eat porkSo i created a bean soup with a L. I tried this recipe yesterday in the crock pot and loved it. This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com. Dice the ham into bite-sized chunks. To preserve leftover bay leaves, rinse and pat them dry, freeze quickly in a single layer, then store in a freezer container to use for soups. Here are a few additional pointers for perfect ham and bean soup. Personally, though, I dont think its necessary. I also waited to add any salt until after I cooked the ham in there for 15-20 minutes, just to make sure how much salty taste that added to the Really good! I'm so glad you loved this one as much as we do Thank you for the feedback xoxoxo. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes to an hour. Place the leftover ham and bean soup in oven-safe bowl. Thanks again. Start the soup. Stir well to combine seasonings and bring to a boil. Ham & bean soup is an easy, delicious way to use leftover holiday ham or smoked ham hock. Yesss! Low heat Crockpot for unsoaked beans = 9 hours minimum, Stove simmer for unsoaked beans = 4 hours minimum. You sure can! I'm always up for a nosh of homemade French bread with ham and bean soup. 15 Ham And Bean Soup Recipe With Canned Beans At a loss. thank you so much for sharing . So how about a good sour dough toast w/ cheese or garlic butter? Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Put your ham bone in a large stock pot, Dutch oven, or slow cooker. Discard the thyme stems. All Rights Reserved. Soak the dried beans overnight. Yield 10 to 12 servings. Cheers to that! Your email address will not be published. STEP 2. We could call it by many different names: NO. These ham and beans are absolutely divine, I almost can't stop eating them. Hiya! Add diced onion; and saut until soft. Let me know if you have any questions. Add the carrots. Yay! Per food safety guidelines, I do not recommend consuming it under your circumstances. Pioneer Womans ham and bean soup is hearty and flavorful with plenty of vegetables, navy beans, and ham. Old-fashioned Navy Bean Soup {Slow Cooker} The GoodHearted Woman. Yes, if youd like something other than cornbread, you can try the sourdough toast that you suggested, frozen Texas Toast, a loaf of French or Italian bread from the bakery, or refrigerated biscuits or crescent rolls that you just pop in the oven. Remove ham from bone, chop and reserve about 2 cups. Prepare the beans: rinse and discard broken or discolored ones. See the recipe card below for my easy crostini recipe, which are fantastic for pairing with a bowl of soup to soak up all that rich broth. If overcooked, the beans wont retain their shape and will become mushy. I find myself sneaking off with a portion of ham after our Christmas and Easter dinners each year, just so I can make this savory soup! except for having to download some advertisement maybe. Simmer 10 minutes. Add beans, spices, ham bone, onion and water to your slow cooker. Place them in a large bowl and cover them with water. As a result, it has a good mixture of nutrition that is essential to everyones diet. But, if you still want to pre-soak the beans, by all means! Alternatively, cannellini, navy, Boston beans, pinto, and kidney beans all make great options. Basically just dump-and-go! butter beans, navy beans, wish bone western origin dress, pork and beans and 2 more Southern Hoppin' John Pork salt, celery, medium onion, frozen black-eyed Can you make it using dried beans? Yes! We add ours right to the ham, onion and garlic and give it a stir. Let beans soak for 2 - 2.5 hours. Rinse the beans well, and brown the bacon, then add everything to your crockpot. The Amish Cook: Bean Soup with Ham Bone Amish 365 Navy Bean and Ham Soup Recipe | Southern Food and Fun This was excellent and so easy to make! Then, add the chicken stock, drained beans, ham, and bay leaf. Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us, Old-Fashioned Vegetable Beef Soup (Easy Recipe). You can also microwave individual bowls for about 1-2 minutes. Stir the beans and ham into the pot then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Thanks for taking the time to comment . Canned Pintos: Beans are a great source of fiber, protein and a host of nutrients. presoaked 12 hours, Hi Diana, this is not common, but I can empathize from experience. I cannot find a way to just bring up the recipe and print it out, It is a good idea to label the freezer bags with the storage date so that you know when to use them by. Reheat for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the soup reaches 165 F. You may want to stir the soup once or twice to ensure it warms evenly. I unfortunately tossed it out. We are sorry that this post was not useful for you! Slow Cooker Directions: Use dry great Northern beans. Its a great make-ahead option for busy weeks. Saut the ham for 3-5 minutes over medium heat, or until it achieves a decent amount of browning. Copyright 2023 Iowa Girl Eats. For storing in the fridge, when the ham and bean soup cools to room temperature, you can divide it between clean, airtight glass containers and put it in the fridge. Leftover Ham and Bean Soup - made with a ham bone! - Easy Budget Recipes Just a matter of preference, though! This soup looks so comforting and I love those flavors.