I have a clear half gallon presto supreme mason jar. ~David. Ive been collecting soda bottles for 40 years, and I can tell you every single O-I soda bottle I have ever seen with a period behind the date is from the 1940s. I have a partial piece of brown glass that has the following markings: Looks like a 15, then underneath it says Duraglas, and has a 39 under the Duraglas. I have been finding bottles from the Owens era around the plant I work at in southeast Pa, since there has been a lot of excavation. Any help with the year and manufacture would be appreciated! Judging from the G-18038 which is a style number used by Owens-Illinois, you have an RC (Royal Crown Cola) bottle. Fenton Glass Company Hobnail Fan Vase in Blue Opalescent. Why would it be marked by two different companies? The Diamond and oval superimposed with an I in the middle was phased out during the mid-1950s (although a few bottles carried that mark later, even as late as 1966, as explained in my article on Owens-Illinois) so your bottle was made at the Fairmont plant and almost certainly dates from 1948. If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. Note: Because of time and energy constraints, I can no longer answer all emails personally, but you may contact me directly at: dav__erwhi "at" gmail.com. and illustrations and descriptions of various molded decorative elements and embossing available for milks. products. All rights reserved. dating of bottles.) Patent 90023. There is a lot of confusion on what the differences are. The term "OnIzed" is mentioned throughout the listings portion (majority) of He is also co-author with Bill Lockhart of the comprehensive articles on the I found a small 3 in tall glass bottle. I also found 4 simalar bottles one in which is 2.5h and is a screw top with a oval diamond symbol on the bottom. This mark has 3 lines outside the diamond, indicating production between 1993-1998. On the bottom of the symbol is number 1 to the right of the symbol is number 4 with a dot on the top and bottom of it. Website, E-published October 2018. Owens-Illinois Glass Company made huge quantities of emerald green salve and ointment jars of many different designs and sizes. Would this indicate 1930s? I have read that plant # 62 has been recorded by others on liquor bottles but can find no information about the plant itself. Because the mark was engraved BY HAND into the insides of bottle and jar molds by moldworkers, it can vary a little from one bottle to another in legibility and exact shape and size, and often the I is not apparent. BTW, that appears to be some kind of food bottle, perhaps for a condiment of some type. USD 29.87, USD 37.34 It also has the town name on the bottom. However, currently there is a similar water bottle on ebay, and the look of the logo (diamond and oval) is such that I think the original marking was just a diamond and I inside but the oval was added (engraved) in the mold later, after the merger of Illinois Glass Company and Owens Bottle Company in 1929. If so, the markings show it was made in Alton, Illinois by Owens-Illinois Glass Company. Hi Randy, large array of "art deco" style "licensed patented" soda bottles. Your website has provided me with my first lead! advertisement I could find for the Disney tumblers was from 1936. You can email a pic of the bottle to the email address listed at the lower right-hand corner of any page on this site. I have noticed this.. Nearly anywhere and everywhere throughout our country, modern era trash can be found, even in the middle of nowhere where there seems to be no logical reason for it being there. Hello! M in a circle mark used by Maryland Glass Corporation. Consistently earned 5-star reviews, shipped orders on time, and replied quickly to messages, Looks like you already have an account! I have two of these: one is a 2 oz size marked Lyric on the bottom, while the other, a 1/2 oz size, is marked Illinois on the bottom with the Illinois Glass Cos I inside a diamond. Does anyone have any ideas what kind of beverage was originally in this bottle? Does this mean it was made in the 30s, or after? Thanks. With your information, I found the design patent on the web with a google search. However, there is an extensive Camp Bros Pharmacy vintage medicine bottles 1887 Council Bluffs, IA Vintage Glass Bottle Set: Pepsi, Heinz, Owens Medicine Co. I found a Four Roses whisky half pint on the beach. The bottle is in very good shape but it is missing the cap. Please let me know if you are able to pin down the date with their chart. Public collections can be seen by the public, including other shoppers, and may show up in recommendations and other places. Click on each link to ~David. Hi Jeremy, Hello David, I also have noticed that the number 56 is not in the list of liquor bottle permit numbers posted online (and that info was copied from papers published many years ago), so I suspect it was a relatively short-lived bottle making location and for some reason was not producing bottles during the time period the bottle permit lists were produced. | Musings of a Quirky Introvert, Maryland Glass Corporation, Baltimore, Maryland (1907-1980), Owens Bottle Company: O inside a square mark, Dr. W. B. Caldwells, Monticello, Illinois ~ bottles, Glass Manufacturers' Marks on Coca-Cola Bottles, "Federal Law Forbids Sale or Reuse of this Bottle" Marking, Glass Bottle Marks (Alphabetical List) ~ Page 1 (A-B), Glass Bottle Marks (Alphabetical List) ~ Page 2 (C-D), Glass Bottle Marks (Alphabetical List) ~ Page 3 (E-L), Glass Bottle Marks (Alphabetical List) ~ Page 4 (M-R), Glass Bottle Marks (Alphabetical List) ~ Page 5 (S-Z), AB (connected) mark on antique glass bottles, AB (connected) bottle base mold codes list, Anchor Hocking Glass Corporation: Anchor and H entwined logo, Atterbury & Company, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Binghamton Glass Company, Binghamton, New York (1880-1957), Bottle inside oval mark on British Ten Pin style soda bottle, Boyds Crystal Art Glass, Cambridge, Ohio: B in a diamond trademark, Boyds Genuine Porcelain Lined Cap (Milk glass discs), Brockway Glass Company (B inside a circle marking), Brody Co. Cleveland, O. U.S.A. (E. O. Brody Company), Bromo-Seltzer, Baltimore, MD ~ Cobalt Blue Glass Bottles, Brookfield Glass Company / Bushwick Glass Works, Brooklyn, New York, Caldwells (Dr. W. B. Caldwells, Monticello, Illinois) ~ bottles, California Glass Insulator Company, Long Beach, CA, Capstan Glass Company, Connellsville, Pennsylvania, Carnival Glass (What is Carnival Glass? Judging Can you see what it says? An example I have carries the number 9 mold number which shows they were made from at least 9 different molds. ), C B B; C B K ; C B M marks on antique pickle jars, Coke Bottles (Glass Manufacturers Marks on Coke Bottles), Collectible Milk Glass General Information / Overview, Depression Glass (What is Depression Glass? at the Huntington, W.V. Label has some tiny rips shown 225441251006 manufacturing dominance of this company at that time, the bottle styles listed in It is clear in color and has a metal screw on type lid along with a wooden rotating handle fitted to a metal bracket attached along the base of the neck. Best regards, That would mean either 1935, 1945 or 1955 but I cant be sure which year is right. being very accurate (1926) or within a year one way or the other (1920) via Liquor Bottle, The I inside the O logo on the left, 55-70 in the center with a 4 on the right raised just a bit above the 55-70. But the value assigned to that bottle with the original label would be considerably higher than a bottle with no label. David It is generally agreed by researchers that the I inside an O mark used by Owens-Illinois was instituted beginning in 1954, and no earlier. I found a brown bottle around the top it says no deposit star no return and on other side not to be refilled. Ends with the Found an antique medicine bottle (with unknown medicine inside) while out on a run through a Missouri River flood area. Best regards, earliest available aerial). VINTAGE 1950'S COLDREX Medicine bottle - Duraglass Bottle - Raleigh, NC Patty, it sounds like an amber beer bottle from 1962. There is one piece of information that may conflict to some degree Now, in your particular case, the 9 to the left of the Owens-Illinois logo indicates the bottle was made at their Streator, Illinois plant, and the 9 on the right is a date code, which would stand for either 1939 or 1949. . The following is an edited version of (Note: The above arrangement is the most commonly seen, at least on soda bottles, but some containers, such as liquor flasks, are frequently marked in other ways and thus the codes may be arranged in a different configuration. Hi! (50% off), Sale Price USD 5.40 The 9 on the left does indicate your bottle was manufactured at Owens-Illinois Streator, Illinois factory. Thanks so very much, as that was far more than I could find. Set where you live, what language you speak, and the currency you use. Other plants owned or controlled (at least for some time) by Illinois Glass included their Gas City, Indiana location as well as factories at Bridgeton, New Jersey, and Chicago Heights, Illinois. The sides of the bottle has sort of a decorative look. commercial purposes. Could you help me date this find please? This can help narrow down the production date of some glass containers. Also I cant figure out what is on the symbol but it looks as if the Saturn symbol is like the second photo down. Great! I have a small brown glass bottle about 2 tall with these markings. catalog number, inventory number, design number), used in communications between the glass factory and the company(ies) they sold the bottles to. There was a problem subscribing you to this newsletter. Could you tell me a little about it and what the bottle may have been used for? If so, how do I determine its age and if possible, what the bottle was originally used for.Thank YouPaula, Hi Paula, many times the I is either too small or indistinct to show up on the finished bottle, or was not engraved in the mold at all, but this has nothing to do with whether or not the bottle is a product of Owens-Illinois Glass Company. From your description I think you have found an emerald green Sunsweet prune juice bottle / jar. products (20 catalog pages) - Cylindrical "rounds" of various sizes, handled Hi Judy, I found a bottle while we were dredging out a channel. It has the number 7 to the left of the symbol, 6 to the right, and a 3 below it. Diamond with oval logo. Thanks you for any help. However, I would submit (my guess) that in some of these instances, the bottle mold might have been moved to another plant but the engravings were not all updated (retooled) correctly on the molds. I understand your reluctance to make blanket statements. This mark has 3 lines outside the diamond, indicating production between 1993-1998. The number to the left is 9. I found the bottom of a jar washed up on the shore of lake Michigan. I think that thread would be in the Comments section at the Federal Law Forbids Sale or Reuse of this Bottle webpage within my site. Any ideas from you would really be appreciated. On the bottom it has the symbol of a sideways diamond, an 0, and an I inside the 0, like the symbol showed in your article. Its clear and embossed with a heart design. The global Airless Packaging market is valued at US$ 5.2 billion in 2022 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.2% over the forecast period of 2022-2028. In March 2017, Bob Brown (a San Diego KPP mark on base of amber Budweiser beer bottle, date coded 1972 (Photo courtesy of Shannon Brown), Libbey Glass Company Cursive L mark on the base of a Gibraltar pattern tumbler in Spanish Green (sage green). For readers, here is the page being referred to: https://glassbottlemarks.com/glass-industry-liquor-bottle-permit-numbers-numerical-list/ types, cottage cheese and sour cream jars, store bottles, milk bottle finishes, Left bottom is ICC-10. Also, since the logo was usually hand-engraved into the inside of bottle molds, there are many very slightly different looks of the logo. Im sure it is either 1933 or 1943, but not sure which is correct! Mfg mark of a Diamond with an I surrounded by an O. All, or most, liquor (whiskey or other distilled liquor) bottles made by Owens-Illinois Glass Company bear a D-code on the bottom which is a distiller permit number. The 2 to the immediate right of the Diamond and Oval logo is a date code. The jar says Presto supreme mason with manufactured by owens illinois glass company on the back. R in a triangle mark used by Reed. For more info with a more extensive, detailed chart of known Owens-Illinois plant location codes, please check out the article by Bill Lockhart and Russ Hoenig at this URL: The Bewildering Array of Owens-Illinois Glass Co. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Item discovered at ebay.com; When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site . I just excavated a coke bottle with an F above the I inside the O logo with a 5 on the left (assuming the Charlotte, MI plant?) (Liquor bottle permit code numbers were required by the US government beginning in 1934). https://www.etsy.com/listing/529601085/1930s-mrs-barnes-binghamton-ny?ref=share_v4_lx, Hi Lisa, David. on the shape are old glass/bottle makers catalogs. downloads than any other makers marking article. Many thanks. I didnt understand how you got the 1928 date. I dug up multiple old bottles. "Pharmaceutical and Proprietary Division" products (10 catalog To begin with, Owens-Illinois did not come into being until 1929 (O-I was a merger of Illinois Glass Company, and Owens Bottle Company). Eric, there are examples out there that seem to make no sense, according to what information is known on the factory location and date codes. the bottom of the bottle is stamped as follows from top to bottom and reading left to right. Coca cola bottles appearing on antique and there are stamped typically on her bottles - is it. ~David. So, any bottle with the I inside an O may date from several years AFTER 1954, but not before. Youll see ad results based on factors like relevancy, and the amount sellers pay per click. 9 the I in the circle then an 8 above a 7 That seems very implausible to me, but as I said, sometimes questions remain and no one can be 100% sure about the Correct answer! 1930-1935* Owens-Illinois Glass Co. Turning off the personalized advertising setting wont stop you from seeing Etsy ads or impact Etsy's own personalization technologies, but it may make the ads you see less relevant or more repetitive. To enable personalized advertising (like interest-based ads), we may share your data with our marketing and advertising partners using cookies and other technologies. David. Instead there is the diamond and oval with an I inside. 2) If a date code does NOT have a period after the number, that still leaves room for error because it could potentially stand for any decade, right? Under the diamond/oval emblem is the number 18. Currently, the company is the largest manufacturer of glass containers in North America, South America, Asia-Pacific, and Europe, with 79 plants in 21 countries. (15% off), Sale Price USD 10.15 Hilex was a competitor to the much more popular and well-known CLOROX brand of chlorine bleach. Hope this helps, Hi David, Mind if I butt in? Any idea what date this is from? Hi Garrett, The ACL process was reported to have not The ONLY number is a 2 to the left of the O/Diamond. File #9: Continuation of the The IGCo. (70% off), Keep collections to yourself or inspire other shoppers! Details: the bottom of the jug has the O-I diamond, 23 on the right side and 4 on the left. Duraglas in on the side of the bottle at the bottom. However I do not have numbers around the logo. officially for medicinal and export use, as there just was no money available in "I inside a Diamond" mark on glass bottles ~ Illinois Glass Company This adds more evidence that many single-digit date codes are not necessarily from the 30s versus the 40s or 50s, as some research has suggested. You can change your preferences any time in your Privacy Settings. Although horseradish was packaged in many different shaped bottles over the years, that is one of the more common shapes used, especially in the 1890s and through the early 1900s. used commercially by the company until at least 1933, possibly 1934 (Lockhart & Hoenig 2015, Logos and Codes. ), Owens-Illinois took over operation of the Hemingray Glass Company factory, located in Muncie, Indiana, in 1933. copy by someone in later years estimating when the catalog was completed? Jose, Hi Jose, Never noticed it before last week, Hi Dee, One notable exception is a period of time when some Coke bottles made by Owens-Illinois had the date codes on the LEFT, and the mold number on the right. I have a bottle with diamond/O and I logo. It sounds like an amber medicine vial of some type. Owens-Illinois Glass Company - Glass bottles, jars, flasks, containers. in explaining the array of markings used by the company on its products over The information is probably available somewhere at the official U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website. Same designer as D90023! Then below that 1845. 6 was the plant code for their Charleston, WV plant. Lived in clay rocky soil for this whole time! Take care, Small, around 3.5/4inches tall. Beginning of the specific bottle David. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again. Owens Vintage Bottle - Etsy VTG D. P. B. CO. Bottle Grand Island Neb | Grelly USA 3 WINE I dont know enough about the Canada Dry brand and their many bottle variants over the years to make an educated guess on which year is most likely. Thanks for letting me know~ The date code would then certainly be 1965, and the 55 (placed on the left) is the permit number assigned to Owens-Illinoiss glass manufacturing plant at Huntington, West Virginia. I looked up the permit number in a document and the permit number wasnt listed. later in this point). I believe that means it is an Owens bottle. Owens-Illinois Glass Co. and a rich source of information. The base is marked with the H over smaller a logo. Take care, Many older Owens-Illinois bottle and jar bases might be found among so-called Beach Glass. First, Thank you so much for establishing this website. Hope this helps, I have been trying to track down information on vintage bitters bottles that I collect and cant seem to find any information on a particular kind. There is no number to the left and the number to the right is a 4 with no period. Does this information help. Does this mean it was made in 1947? That seems conclusive though could have been added to this O-I library archival I am trying to find any info on these bottles. Any idea? One more question regarding the distiller code, any leads? introduced in 1934. 2018). Thank you so much for your response David. metal screw caps and accompanying threaded finishes. 1960s and 1970s, but all are long out of print and variably difficult to obtain. The most recent one I picked up has a rooster on it and says bitters above it, overlayed in sterling silver. and a 65 to the right of the logo. Unfollow antique medicine bottles and vintage amber glass bottle dating antique bottles old prescription bottle, with accurate, antique medicine bottle. All of this strongly indicates that some of the catalog was done just after mark on antique glass bottles & jars, Letter L in cursive script mark: Libbey Glass Company, Liquor Bottle Permit Numbers Numerical List, Lynchburg Glass Corporation, Lynchburg, Virginia, M inside a circle: Maryland Glass Corporation, Baltimore, MD, MASONS PATENT NOV 30TH 1858 Fruit Jars Summary, Maywood Glass Company, Compton, California (1930-1959) ~ MG Connected mark, McLaughlin Glass Company, Vernon, California, M.G.CO. Evidently a liquor bottle made for Seagrams. Thanks for anything you can provide!! Would you mind shedding a bit of light for me? Hi.. Thank you for your time, Candice. On very small bottles, the mark may be rather indistinct and the I may be virtually invisible, or just a tiny dot. And yes I believe you are right that the 9 is a date code for 1939. Im guessing one of the numbers is the year the bottle was made? David. Small knick on the mouth. (Its about 5 1/2 inch in diameter, maybe a gallon jug? A dot on the top and bottom middle and a 5 all the way to the right side. Hi David I have a small medicine bottle marked 15 with a dot above the 5, oval diamond, 3. Thanks. Bottle Catalog One of the best sources for determining bottle types based on the shape are old glass/bottle makers catalogs. I have a clear bottle, 11.5 tall and 4 across. Sale Price USD 5.50 Extremely informative with a great forum. You mention location or mold numbers, but Im not sure which the three digit number corolates to. Click here to go to the alphabetical listings of trademarks found on bottles, jars, insulators and tableware: Glass Bottle Marks (starting here with Page One). Iv Bottle In Collectible Medicine Bottles 1900-Now - eBay Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings. The 7 on the right is a date code and I assume it stands for 1937. With the date code being 5, that would indicate either 1935, 1945 or 1955. My suspicion is that its from 1962. Hi Crystal, Thanks! front: 4/5 QUART In general, (and this is my own understanding.I invite clarification or corrections from readers!! I love these old bottles but anyways could you please help me out man. Very hard to tell. Owens-Illinois Glass Company I inside an O trademark, AB (connected) mark on base of light aqua beer bottle with P 11 code.