By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. If this is your first time posting, please read the sub rules. My UBC MOT Interview Experience - WordPress.com I am also OOP and my interview date is March 8th. . I will also ensure that they understand that I am willing to help. I've been watching the PT UBC interview thread and was wondering if anyone has heard back from UBC for OT interviews. This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. It is not clear whether or not the MOT student is a Year 1 or Year 2 student. Show that you are committed to your role and would love to advance further in the next five years. Goodluck! Do you have any life experiences that you think may help your career in Occupational Therapy? Tell us about a group activity you have organised. OT School Interview Questions & Prep Tips - myotspot.com Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy University of British Columbia T325 - 2211 Westbrook Mall Vancouver, BC V6T 2B5. Do you know some of the things that are required in occupational therapy? The Department of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy is committed to creating a professional community that provides the best possible education for occupational therapists and scholars in the field. It focuses on the discipline of . A friend once told me that I use work to escape some of the things I do not want to face in life. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Placement #1 (Part A): School-AgedTherapy. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. UBC Master of Occupational Therapy - issuu.com Occupational Therapy University Interview Questions There are many different questions you may be asked at your Occupational Therapy university interview, so we've provided a comprehensive list of those commonly asked by nursing admissions tutors at UK universities. Multiple Mini-Interviews. In the UBC MOT interview, each candidate was interviewed by a three-person panel. What issues did they face and how did you help them? Describe a time when you had to lead a team of people? By Occupational therapists provide specialized rehabilitation services to maintain, restore, or improve the ability of children and adults to perform the occupations of daily life, which may be impaired as a result of illness, injury, congenital or acquired disabilities, or social disadvantage. The case studies listed below cover some of the common questions or challenges occupational therapists may face in their practice. The OT Profession - School of Rehabilitation Science - College of If youre looking to register a bank account in St Kitts and Nevis, then youve come to the right place. Is this common these days, and if so are schools looking to appear exclusive by turning down larger numbers, or making easy profit from the fees, or is something else going on? An interviewer would most probably like you to touch on the various aspects of the job in your answer, such as: Teamwork: Employers want to know whether you can work with other people in a multidisciplinary environment. Can you think of a team situation where your communication skills have been essential? Minimum GPAs requirements are not a guarantee for entry. Occupational therapy uses what one wants and needs to do, and finds ways to get one back to doing these important occupations and sometimes even new occupations! It goes beyond just knowing ones field. Press J to jump to the feed. It is highly recommended that you submit an applicationas soon as possible. Remember, the interviewer will also use your answer to tell your definition of success. Ensure that you outline what the issue was, how it was resolved, and the outcome. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Show the interviewer that you can prioritize your work well and deliver. These programs are based on occupational . I also consider how willing the patient is to cooperate, the availability of a support system, and the number of sessions required. Treat this as a chance to sell yourself and convince the interviewer that you are adequate. Note that in recent years, the competitive GPA for this program is 85%. Ranked among the world's top medical schools with the fifth-largest MD enrollment in North America, the UBC Faculty of Medicine is a leader in both the science and the practice of medicine. Please note that the new online application system willallow transcripts to be uploaded ontoyourapplicationafterthe application has been submitted. I emailed the OT admissions contact person at UBC regarding when we should know by. Personal Statement Editing and Review Service, International Student Personal Statements, Personal Statement Frequently Asked Questions, Writing a Postgraduate Personal Statement, Platinum Express Editing and Review Service, Silver Express Editing and Review Service, UCAS Personal Statement Editing and Review Service, Oxbridge Personal Statement Editing and Review Service, Postgraduate Personal Statement Editing and Review Service. Not many prompts were given; as in, they did not ask me to elaborate at any time, simply letting me discuss as desired. mine went well tooI feel the same way, after I was thinking "did I remember to say.." All of my interviewers smiled, which I was hoping was a good sign but I have no idea. It was simply a percentage and the corresponding letter grade. Johns Hopkins Hospital outlines an excellent technique known as the PEARLS Method. My deadline to accept is April 18th. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. Occupational therapists specialize in a variety of areas including, but not limited to, some of the following: Children and youth Mental health Health and wellness Productive aging Rehabilitation, disability, and participation Business and industry A career in occupational therapy also provides endless employment opportunities. I'm curious to find out about some of your experiences. But it's only a half hour so there is only so many questions they can ask , I assume. Overall I think it was alright! Welcome We are OSOT at UBC - the Department of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy - building a vibrant community of learners, scholars, and practitioners. Collaborative Occupational Therapy: Teachers' Impressions of the The department requires a written response to a prompt (maximum 250-words) as part of the application process. Many programs will list a minimum number of shadowing hours required (say, 50 hours). I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Convince them that you have a calling to help others. What do you feel are the 3 most important skills to become an Occupational Therapist? Who do you think will be the most important people you will work with as an Occupational Therapist? Do you believe teams need leaders? I remember reading preference is given to BC residents, however there are a certain number of seats reserved for out of province students. Mindset Is Everything. During my last job, I was stationed at a center situated in a place with people of mixed origins. Yeah I'm quite sure it would , which is why I'm worried. Occupational Therapy (MOT) - Eastern Washington University Please note that referees are only notified by the system to provide an electronic reference. Studential Ltd. is a Company registered in England and Wales. Im not sure if the interviewers had read my 500 statement of intentthough, as they gave no indication of doing so (which may have been deliberate). Anyone else? There's also some good tips throughout the rest of the blog. Please ensure you meet these minimum requirements before applying to the MOT program. I communicated honestly and in a polite way when tabling my strategy. By I'm not sure how many interviews took place but that definitely made things a little more intense! It's the same with shadowing hours. What might a typical day involve for an Occupational Therapist? Strive to be as detailed as possible in your answer. The purpose of the interview is to determine an applicants verbal communication skills, maturity level and personal suitability to the program and profession. if anyone lives in richmond and wants to practice together let me know. Occupational Therapy at UBC ".oh well. Minimum Academic Requirements: International Credentials. Academic standing of a minimum of B+ (76%) average based on all senior level courses (300 and 400 level). to find out Id be returning to my alma mater once again in September. I once bumped into him and was pleased that he could remember me. This is where you tell the interviewer some of the contributions you will make to the team that other applicants cant. Interviews are typically held in the first week of March and are conducted virtually. The prerequisite courses can be in progress at the time of the application deadline, but must be completed by April 30 of the application year. Please note that there are new forms for each years admission cycle, and you will not be able to download the forms either before the application window or after the deadline. January 16 - Mid-February: Applications are reviewed and evaluated. I was well-prepared, and I also generally interview pretty well, since Im accustomed to talking to new people all the time at work and volunteering. Make sure that you give a quality response by reflecting upon a patient or colleague who you helped change their life. gladiolus, February 14, 2013 in Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Discussions. How to Apply - Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy This is a subreddit to celebrate all things Occupational Therapy. they kept telling me to be 'dynamic.' The application process for September 2024 intake opens: October 15, 2023. Occupational Therapist Job East Kootenays (Fernie) British Columbia and, over the course of the two-year . I've heard of people video taping themselves to critique themselves ? We were told wed be informed some time in the week of April 7-11th, but I received my acceptance email on March 28th. is the building where the interviews being held centrally located? Any reason you chose UBC over U of T, or are you just increasing your odds like me ? One girl wore a button-up with a blazer and jeans (in a hipster-esque style); another wore a sweater, a casual blouse, and dark jeans. There are plenty of study tips and sample scenarios for the MMI, and as for the panel interview I've been practising speaking about why I want to be an OT, and about my work experience with people with disabilities (responsibilities, challenges, learning, etc) and how these experiences relate to the field. This meant that there were only two weeks to prepare! I personally like to dress formally when Im interviewing, regardless of what it is for. If you are unable to attain your academic references from past or current professors, you can submit letters from past or current employers. Two of these referees must provide an Academic reference, and the third referee must provide a Volunteer / Work Experience reference. CAOT-BC: cOnnecT with Nicole Carlson - Blogger Interviews for the MPT program use the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) format. You need to frame your answer positively and reassure the hiring manager that you can adequately address such a situation. COVID-19 Interruption: For the 2023application cycle, volunteer or work experiencemay consist of eithervirtual or in-person hours as long as all 70(+) hours are from the same organization. Hey BC_AB would you mind sharing your GPA? Eligible for membership in the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT). Both the patient and the therapist will be responsible for achieving the set goals. You need to prepare in advance for your interview to gain confidence and reduce the pressure brought about by the interview process. I appreciate all types of feedback since they help me restrategize and improve or keep on doing the good work. We suggest that you apply well before the deadline to avoid any issues with the processing of [] For one of the girls, it was her third time interviewing with UBC. If you've experienced a professional challenge or situation you feel would be a . This is a pretty broad group that may consist of people from different races, religions, or continents. Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy, Your degree must be academically equivalent to a UBC 4-year bachelors degree in any field, from any accredited post-secondary institutio. The interviewer wants to know the kind of individuals you find most challenging to work with. I love what you do and would be honored to join you. You will need tocreate a new CWL accountif you dont already have one. (LogOut/ Know Who You Are Talking To. You will have had the opportunity to indicate your site preference as part of the application process. There is a difference between the minimum GPA required for entrance into a program and the GPA that is competitive and will more likely result in acceptance. Effective April 1, 2022, hourly rates of pay: $38.71 to $48.04. When preparing your occupational therapy interview questions and answers, you might feel confident that you have all the necessary skills. Also, have in mind there are several ways and forums to advocate for OT. UBC OT 2019 - Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Discussions My interview is on March 9th and I've often thought it was a tough deal to have to organize flights in basically 2 weeks to get to UBC for the interview ! 33 Occupational Therapy Interview Questions (With Answers) Your degree can be in progress at the time of the application deadline, but all courses required for the completion of your degree must end by April 30 of the application year. Where do you see yourself in 10 years' time? One of the most critical aspects of occupational therapy is setting goals for patients. The purpose of the interview is to determine an applicant's verbal communication skills, maturity level and personal suitability to the program and profession. As you may have already interpretedfrom above, not all the MOT candidates were interviewed by the same people. I once took up the work of an absent colleague, prioritized tasks, organized myself, and delivered on time. Was it really that many people though??? Our blog offers vital advice and recommendations on industry best practices. I was actually a bit surprised at how lax some of the candidates were dressed. If you are found to present a risk of physical or sexual abuse to children, or physical, sexual, or financial abuse to vulnerable adults, as a result of the CRRA check, you will not be permitted to register in the practicum.