2. As he looked a bit longer, the four lights broke apart, swirling and dancing in complicated patterns around each other before coming back together to form a diamond shape. A Wendigo allegedly made a number of appearances near a town called Rosesu in Northern Minnesota from the late 1800's through the 1920's. Each time that it was reported, an unexpected death followed and finally, it was seen no more. Originating within the myths and lore of various Algonquin-speaking tribes of Nova Scotia, the East Coast of Canada, and Great Lakes Region of Canada and in Wisconsin, United States, including such tribes as the Ojibwe, the Saulteaux, the Cree, the Naskapi, and the Innu, the monstrous entity called the Wendigo has long been feared. Wendigo beasts are said to possess humans, where they become trapped near the heart, and the only way to kill the Wendigo is to try to un-possess the human trapped inside or to execute both the Wendigo and the human. There are many local traditions of the Wendigo with slightly different details in its appearance and abilities depending on the region, but it is always said to be frightening, and there are also variations in their powers. I tend to walk my dog after dinner and before bed, and my town is pretty safe, so walking her in the dark never phased me. I heard it land but it either jumped an impossible distance or landed in a thicket because I heard it but never saw. Many of these reports were shockingly similar to the Swift Runner case. The fear I felt was incredible. Its voice resembles the sounds of the wild - falling water, wind, the call of birds and beasts. Wikimedia CommonsLake Windigo, in the Chippewa National Forest in Minnesota. UFO report: Wisconsin has its own history with the paranormal Lewis has traveled around the world investigating claims of the paranormal for more than 20 years. Every organization has unique strengths and weaknesses within their systems and strategies. YouTubeAn illustration of the Wendigo, a fearsome creature from Native American lore. The thing is massive. Whether these flying objects are from a different world, a different country or something else altogether,those who've seen them agreethere is something happening in the skies above that we do not understand. The condition often develops in the harsh winters of the north when heavy snowfalls isolate individuals for long periods of time. Individuals who turned to cannibalism or one who was insatiably greedy would fall victim to the Wendigo possession or psychosis. This is one of the two most well-known creatures on our list. Wendigo or not, it is very creepy, to say the least. But ironically enough, these stories might actually represent the Indigenous peoples response to the horrific violence unleashed on them by non-Native people. King includes the Wendigo in two of his novels, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Pet Sematary. Even evidence of marking our gate (EXCESSIVE urine). Brent Swancer is an author and crypto expert living in Japan. I have heard what sounds like a little girl calling for help out in those woods before. These things are happening," he said, "but after 25 years of doing this, I'm left with more questions than answers when it comes to what that something is. Then things got bizarre rather quickly, of which the witness says: I remember we both pulled out our flashlights and shown it in the direction we felt the sounds were coming from but that is what was so weird. Northern lights gleam green and purple above Wisconsin. Some people who have claimed to encounter the beast say its a relative of Bigfoot. It also has historical significance for many Indigenous communities. Their origins also have some variations, but the main cause according to the majority of traditions, is that humans who were overcome by greed or hunger, or those who resorted to cannibalism to stay alive, were at risk of becoming Wendigos themselves. The most common reason for becoming a wendigo is if one eats human flesh. Under those circumstances, who could blame them for having a fear of starvation? Hes traveled as far as Romania and South America and has written dozens of books on topics such as the wendigo legends, lake monstersand haunted tour guides for seven U.S. states. Lake Winnebago Water Monster Lake Winnebago There are a few reports on Wendigo encounters that date back to the 17th century. The entire street was silent, as most streets are at 4 a.m. Konrad was gazing up at the stars, an endless reminder of the vastness of the universe, when four small dots of light caught his attention. As Basil Johnston has written, the idea of turning Wendigo is a very real possibility when the word refers to self-destruction, rather than literally becoming a monster in the forest. User Submitted Cryptid Sighting: Possible Wendigo From Side Hustle to Storefront:Meet the 25-Year-Old Badger Alum Set to Open Her First Brick-and-Mortar Bakery, Our Wisconsin I live in an apartment complex that is on the end of a residential street, so most of the street is older houses. Wisconsin has 1,666 reported UFO sightings with the National UFO Reporting Center, a number that ranks 21st in the U.S. Wisconsin also boasts not . Wendigos are known to have powerful abilities that get stronger as they get older. A few weeks ago my brother was over and he was outside smoking when he came in quickly and locked the door behind him. This werewolf cryptid has had several sightings in the 1990s with local newspapers reporting on the topic and even eventually gaining some national news attention as the most popular werewolf sighting in the U.S. But what about those scary wendigo stories that supposedly affected real people? What town or city in Wisconsin did this occur? Chippewa County, Wisconsin, residents were treated to a northern light dream on March 20. new report from the US governmentabout UFOs, UFOs is no longer a badly kept secret in the United States, Pentagon released three unclassified videos, Wisconsins own expert in the strange and unusual, Wisconsin-based researcher into paranormal incidents, U.S. Wisconsin also boasts not one, not two, but three cities, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. July 27, 2022 9:11 am CDT, Originally Published Could it be just hallucinations or misidentifications, maybe even hoaxes? Most recently in 2019, mysterious howls in the Canadian wilderness led some to question whether they were caused by the infamous man-beast. It was all very unsettling, indeed, but it was about to graduate into the horrifying. Is it time travel? All names of the Wendigo translate to evil spirit that devours mankind. And on the far side of the stream from my house there are large trees. The closest I would akin it to would be a deer, but it was on its hind legs and had the body features of a stretched out human but with antlers or tall ears. You dont earn the name Devils Lake for no reason. It was standing on its hind legs but had antlers or some type of tall ears like a bunny and its arms and legs were abnormally long and stretched to the bone. Wendigo: A Man-Eating Monster Famous From American Folklore - Bugged Space 2022 Theinfographicsshow.Com. It was long, boxey, narrow, and dark. A wendigo is a malevolent SPIRIT that is said to invoke a Insatiable desire to cannibalize and or murder others often times depicted as half human/half beast with antlers and a foul smell. These mounds were believed to have been created by the Aztalan natives when the lakes water levels were much lower. BONUS: Whitewater, WI Even into the last century, Native Americans actively believed in, and searched for, the Wendigo. I live in a rural suburb in SE WI near a line of woods and ponds. HOME | Wendigo Advisors Show Unexplained Encounters, Ep 9 NEW Real Skinwalker and Wendigo Sightings! Then this brown, slimy, serpent or eel like body sloshed around and went into the water. The Wendigo Haunts the North During times of Cold and Starvation A much older phantom of the North Woods is found in Wendigo, an evil supernatural creature that is part of Ojibwe lore. In that same street I saw a lady in white in the dead cold in a skirt just strolling down the street a couple days before.. Once he has infiltrated their minds, he can turn them into wendigos as well, instilling upon them a similar lust for human flesh. Within the region, Fiddler was nearly legendary as a powerful shaman and healer, attributed with vast supernatural abilities such as the power to shapeshift, conjure up animal spirits, chase away evil spirits, deflect spells, and many others, but he was most well known as a Wendigo hunter. However, Fiddler managed to go out on his own terms, escaping his imprisonment to go off and hang himself from a tree with his own sash. According to the witness, they were very familiar with the sounds of the forest and this sounded off to them, as if several people were walking around the campsite trying not to be heard. Benson believes the jar contains a creature from a different planet. I felt stuck and almost hypnotized by the whole thing, but came to my senses enough to call attention to my dog and turn around to head for home. She had told me that before leaving a terrifically gaunt figure had been watching us across the river bank, and that it had noticed her and ran away on all four at a fictional speed she shakily said, staying quite frightened after. Eyewitness sketch of a mysterious creature that dashed in front of a moving car near Holy Hill. The voice calling me was a harsh, raspy, animalistic in tone imitation of my sisters voice, who had just recently left the trip due to stress only a few hours ago. It escalated when they began to hear footsteps in the area, a terrible stench would sometimes waft through, and there was a constant, inescapable feeling of being watched. Your email address will not be published. This creature is so famous among northern Wisconsinites that it even has its own monument and country music festival. Yeah I ran out of those woods in about 10 seconds. Mostly I am wondering if anything of this description and presence has been encountered before, especially in Texas. It can take great leaps or run along the tops of trees. Across from my apartment complex (on the same side as the woods and the encounter) there is a small pond surrounded by trees. And there is no way it was a tree because every time I go out there I go to where I spotted it. I stood up shining my flashlight in all directions trying to catch a glimpse of whatever was screwing with us. 5 Terrifying WENDIGO Sightings Caught on Camera - reddit In 1878, a man named Swift Runner was known to suffer from Wendigo psychosis in the worst possible way. The report, compiled by top intelligence and military officials,was commissioned by Congressafter the Pentagonreleased three short videosin April 2020 depicting unidentified aerial phenomena, one from November 2004 and two from January 2015. By far the most well-known and discussed type of hairy wild man of Native lore is none other than the mysterious and legendary entity known as the Wendigo, animalistic, hulking beasts with strange powers. Biology, nature, and cryptozoology still remain Brent Swancers first intellectual loves. According to the book Rewriting Apocalypse in Canadian Fiction, wendigo stories were once viewed as an illustration of the violent and primitive nature of the very people telling those stories. For context: I love the supernatural, paranormal, and true crime. At the beginning of the 20 th century, Jack Fiddler, an Oji-Cree man was arrested along with his brother for killing 14 people who they claimed to be wendigoes or . Bensons bar is filled with alien memorabilia, but one item steals all the glory a small glass jar filled with a murky liquid and containing something lumpy inside with black eyes. It resembled somewhat of a dragon-like creature. One night I was walking my dogaround 10:30pm I thinkwhen I saw something on the front lawn of one of these houses. Just about the only thing scarier might be what one would do if the starvation became too much to handle. I Know its been some years since this was posted. From Texas we have a report from a witness who claims this happened out in the Texas Hill Country during the hot summer months. My town is small and everything is silent and dark by 9:00pm. The blazing force of nature had almost burned my face when I was just stopped mid fall, I hadnt gained my balance it was just as if someone was hanging on to me and pulled me back. In the early 20th century one such fighter of demons would take his last battle before succumbing to the invasion of the modern world and the death of traditions. The legend of the Wendigo is still very alive in some parts of the Great Lakes region and the forests of Canada. And there isnt a single tree small enough to remotely look like what I saw. Thunderbirds have been described as massive avian raptors by the Menominee tribe. . Some legends claim that the Wendigo also never stops growing and will get bigger each time it eats. Strange Cases of Modern Encounters with the Wendigo - Mysterious Universe According to ethnohistorian Nathan Carlson, its also been said that the wendigo has large, sharp claws and massive eyes like an owl. HEY! Quiet. They thought he was a credible witness.. If the government had released this information in the 1990s and said we dont know what these (UFOs) are, everyone would have lost their mind. The brother Pesequan was subsequently found guilty and sentenced to hang by the government, although he died from illness in 1909 before the sentence could be carried out, sadly just three days before a pardon went through. wendigo sightings wisconsin - asesoriai.com Still, he was hanged for his crime. Reports of Wendigo encounters are not as common today, but people still claim the Wendigo lurks around in the dark forests waiting to prey on its next victim. The backstory of the game relates to the syndrome of Wendigo psychosis as the miners got trapped in a mine and had to resort to cannibalism to prevent starvation, which is how the antagonistic monsters appeared on the mountain. Mothman in Wisconsin? State fair demon described by witness The strangest part about Susie's story is that once the object landed, she and her daughter's friend moved on with their discussion, almost like they had forgotten what had happened moments before. One hiker who was present said, Ive heard many different animals in the wild but nothing like this.. I have lived in northeast Wisconsin, my entire life, and in 2015, I just so happen to be looking up into a very overcast, cloudy sky (with the desperation of the sun behind it, trying to break through the clouds) and it was in that moment that I saw a shadow. I could list every single commercial airplane model in use right now, he said. So I started walking towards my house which is would mean I would have to walk uphill. Probably Not! The tracks seem to step over our standing flowerbeds that line the windows because the tracks walk up to and between (not around, and there's no way to go under) the beds right on our window line. We sat there in silence for a few minutes when the woods erupted with noise. Once theyre isolated in the desolate depths of the wilderness, he attacks them and then feasts on them. The native story tells of a great mountain that floats in the western sky where thunderbirds gather. Here's everything you need to know about this creature. The wendigo is a beast that lives alone in the northern forests, feeding whenever possible on human flesh. The curse of the Wendigo appears in the book Pet Sematary and also makes a slight appearance in the movie Pet Sematary that recreated the story in 2019. Such tales abounded, and the tribes who feared the Wendigo took all of this very seriously. Many reports occurred during the late 1800s of fishermen who would have violent encounters with the beast. Another report comes from Reddit user Katzaidanj, who does not specify his exact location, but assures us that it is an area where Wendigos could and have been spotted. It started with finding mutilated animals around the remote property in rather grisly fashion, including dead foxes and deer that had had their spinal columns torn out and strewn around, as well as vicious claw and teeth marks and limbs rendered from their bodies. The lake winnebago water monster. The witness explains: So let me lay out the land for you. (Twitter: @DiscoverWI), That is so cool I live in Wisconsin my hole life and I havent heard of some of those. The Wendigo - An American Cannibal | Sightings of the Wendigo Biology, nature, and cryptozoology still remain Brent Swancers first intellectual loves.