Not right at all. HUGE conflict of interest. Her older two children have remained out of the public eye. Speculative. Steven and Diane married on November 13, 1973. My question is: why is she still locked up? They are now leading their private lives as adults. Their theory was very shaky. Fair question. They were treated very badly in this matter. I guess Diane forgot to have that part engraved on the Unicorn. It was the story of Diane Downs. Then ask yourself if thats how you want your son to grow up. However, he had no interest in taking care of Dianes children. During Dianes examination at trial, Fred Hugi said in front of the jury, in the form of a question, that she had been diagnosed as a deviant sociopath.. This was very stressful. As far as Hugi is concerned, it was a total conflict of interest. Or be mentally ill. He was very irresponsible and probably could not handle them financially and emotionally. 2. statement regarding the effects of the childrens medications while in hospital should acknowledge where the blogger obtained information about the side effects.). Rule defended her right to earn a living and to tell her story. But I think that in all fairness, many of them dont even know the details of the case and have watched Small Sacrifices instead. The authorities wanted to see them mourn and fall apart. On May 30, 1983, the McKenzie-Willamette Hospital Chaplain told Dianes father to hire an attorney because the State was going to take his grandchildren away. Christie was only eight, had suffered gunshot wounds and was in shock. Dianes parents had high hopes for her future, a future that didnt involve Steve, so they disapproved of their relationship. Her atrocities made national news, but one person that everyone has been wondering about is Diane Down's ex-husband. She has come a long way. They often argued about their financial issues and fought over infidelities. She was a first time offender who has shown no violent tendencies and is afflicted with a mental illness. Children under the age of twelve may cognitively grasp the concept of truth and lie, but lack the conscience which compels people to apply the concept to their lives, or the strength to maintain the truth when adults coerce her to lie. The fact that the children were in no way protected by Child Protection Services is undeniable. I think u need to read the facts. I do not believe that this type of abuse would occur today. It is said that they didnt go to Steve because he wasnt a fit father or well equipped to take care of children who had gone through such a traumatic experience. And these men in black perceived this as an act of war, and proceeded to go after them with every legal or illegal means at their disposal. But I know that there were major problems with this case. Diane Downs is an infamous killer who tried to murder her three children to pursue love. If I feel that due process was violated, I will go there anyway. You left and you and Diane Downs spent an evening at a motel? Ann Rule promotes her books as true crime stories so to this day, viewers believe that the book and the movie titled Small Sacrificesdocument the true story of the Diane Downs case; in fact, it is a mix bag of truth, falsehoods, interpretation and plain fiction. No. If I included the ones I dont post, it would need more than a like or dislike button. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. You have a photo of Diane before the parole board. Jump through the States hoops, or find a noose around your neck. But there were discrepancies; the tool marks did not matchand the detective lied on the stand about it. And by the way, I wrote the blogs about Rule way before she passed. Melvin Belli How things could have been different. Im not arguing the facts of the trial, and Im not about to. And what happened to her little daughter is beyond unethical. Were they involved in the plot too?? Again I go back to how times were back then. Strangely enough, a woman who was seen for 8 months by a psychologist and declared to be in shock and suffering from a mood disorder, would now be assessed by the State hired psychiatrist to confirm the label Hugi conveniently made up during trial. Her case was too public and they are afraid of public backlash. Blood spatter is not an exact science, and is interpreted differently by experts. But I am so tired of the enough time has been served and other criminals have been paroled. In 1991, David Brewer, a juror who deliberated Dianes fate in her 1984 trial, came forward to say he and another juror had decided to acquit Downs by the close of the States presentation. Just my opinion. Rule made up stories to sell books and the rights to a movie. It was writtenrepeatedly in the daily notes that the children were happy to see their mom and asked for her. The most exciting thing about Steve is that he never appeared in public despite the immense case against his wife. They felt safe there. If they could not find the gun or any trace of a shooting on Diane, and you think shes guilty, it would mean she had an accomplice. TIL On May 19, 1983, Diane Downs shot her three children and drove them at 5-7 mph to the hospital. McPherron: I mean, it was plastered all over. I just tried to find a video or article about Hugi and I only get the one or two that I already have. Do you remember it would have been around say November 19th of 82 that you would have left Charlene at one time? So obviously, she was the prime suspect. She goes on to say that she has deep regret and mourns the loss and death of her children. Whether or not Mrs. Frederickson could have attacheda clinical lab to Dianes not being herself the day the Detectives pressured Diane to accompany them, the fact is Diane was clearly suffering the residual effects of that chemical poison in her system. During cross-examination, she said that she witnessed the murders while sitting up and that Cheryl was sitting up on the front seat when she got shot. The whole family were co-conspirators and involved in the crime? The discovery that he wasnt his biological child made him leave the relationship. The court can just do an APR, Assignment of Parental Rights. It is said that they didn't go to Steve because he wasn't a fit father or well equipped to take care of children who had gone through such a traumatic experience. The Diane Downs' Case Was no Small Sacrifice On May 19, 1983, Elizabeth Diane Downs and her three small children were shot on a country road near Springfield, Oregon. Within a few weeks, the kids who had survived were placed in protective custody and were no longer in Steve's care. You paint a picture that is actually inaccurate and misleading. The detectives took Diane to the crime scene and were able to retrieve shell cases on the ground where the incident happened. She took care of herself not her children. Except for Paul Cortez. I try to bring up the elements that were totally ignored. If she did have memories of the actual shooting, that would be very rare. Q. That says it all. And to try not to bash Dianes Downs character and stick to evidence instead. Wasnt it speculative on their part? Rule even talked about writing a book about her but it never materialized. https://t.co/cPfs75obUg pic.twitter.com/uSnlFF2IRw. People can have a certain vibe and act out of the norms, but it does not make them necessarily guilty. The previous video you sent me shows a Jagger pretty animated and involved in the defense of his client. And if you add the fact that they never found the gun, it doesnt leave much evidenceto back upthe theory that she was the shooter. After completing his education and their short-lived high school romance, Steve Downs would move on to join the navy. And she should be allowed parole! But the Parole Board refused to hear her. but later you claim Diane was inside the car and shot the kids in the car and that that BECAUSE she was inside the car she should have had blood splatter on herso WHICH IS IT, I dont know which it is Libby. I had never heard of this case and fell upon several videos that had me completely convinced DD was a narcissistic psychopath. And, one of them was her ex-husband, the father of the children that Diane had shot. BUT like you rightly explain, there was no real evidence of her guilt. High profile cases usually do not get the same treatment as regular folks. She did it. Makes major decisions easier because only one parent is legally responsible. Diane Downs changed her story so many times, even at her parole hearing. Instead of shooting the little kids, why didnt the carjacker/killer (CK) simply shoot DD dead and take her car? We dont know what the Hugi family was doing during this time, probably seeing the kids regularly and getting licensed and approved to take the kids home with them. 20 Celeb Parents Who've Lost Custody Of Their Children - BabyGaga The timing of her arrival at the hospital should have been discussed and explained in more details. Diane had moved to Oregon only 6 weeks before the tragedy to work in the area and have her parents spend time with the kids. He may still reside in Arizona, but there is no proof of the same. If he was getting too close to the witness emotionally he should have stepped away from the case. No, Im not that gullible, Okay, I just read that she faked throwing her keys. This blogger apparently believes anything she hears to support her inaccurate theory that Diane Downs was falsely accused and convicted. Hed left his first wife to co-habitate with (and later marry) Charlene. How do you expect the daughter to have any fair understanding of the situation or any decent contact with Dianes family when the people who have been calling her mother a murderer and a monster are dragging her in the media spotlight in the hope of writing another book or getting a new scoop, but all one sided. Everywhere, EXCEPT the door through which Diane reported to police, the male stranger had passed. Page 37 of Case History. Imagine knowing that your adoptive dad was responsible for putting your natural mom in the slammer? I do not know what happened on Old Mohawk Road on that dark evening, but I know that they did not have enough evidence totry andconvict Diane Downs. We already know that. Critics said she deliberately became pregnant in order to garner sympathy from the jury. In fact, if appropriate family is found, termination is not required. The very suspicious aspect of this ballistic saga is that Hugi said they had the bill of sale and serial number for the first Ruger and it was definitely the murder weapon. If the answer is, revenge, then it has been achieved. Conflict of interest on steroids!! Would you seriously be confident enough to present your findings you mention in your article to Diane Downs children? I saw that same face in Diane Downs. Was that Annes fault as well? Someone can have an evil vibe and not be guilty of a crime. After six weeks in Oregon where the children were happily spending time with their grandparents while Diane worked her postal route, the incident happened on a dark road that led to Diane being accused of murder and attempted murder. I worked for county government child welfare for a decade. Did you read her statements to the parole board in 2008? This whole case is flawed. Despite all these misgivings, they chose to stay strong in the marriage and had their first child, Christie Ann, in 1974. Brewer changed his mind. Its a rather large part of the story. Christie was it though. I have no dog in this race. And according to the law, she should have been released by now, independently of what she says or not. Some cases are so one sided that you feel like exposing or at least, discussing the other side. Diane Downs was one of the most infamous murderers of the 1980s; the emotionally flat blonde was convicted of shooting her three children, killing one of them, along a roadway in Springfield,. Diane was known for her love of all animals whichshe treated with great care, and for her independent and wild streak. And how the letters became so bizarre, paranoid and psychotic that she told Diane to stop writing her. USA population seems to shun complex ethical problems preferring to deal with absolute evil in order to exert absolute power to crush it. Her father passed away in October 2017 after having fought relentlessly for her release. Litigating at the Supreme Court in . The roller coaster ride had nothing to do with Diane s children and Diane knew it. She also told media she became pregnant without Steve's "permission." 4 Steve has never spoken publicly about his ex-wife, Diane Credit: AP Where is Steve now? Danny has kept a low profile, and not much about his life like family, marriage, and children are in public. Diane said that Cheryl was laying down on the front floorboard with the passenger seat pushed back. It was pretty apparent during the course of this saga that the media and the state were willing to give a free pass to anyone willing to badmouth Diane. It simply states the facts of the case. Just goes to show how difficult it is sometimes to find the truth. They both would fall in love and decide they want to marry each other. The hell with doubts, ballistics and pesky details about the shooting, we cannot disagree becausethere is hunting and fishing to do and friendships to uphold. She claimed she . Halo Show: Why Master Chief's Voice Actor Was Recast (But Cortana Wasn't) They hardly investigated any other lead after a couple of weeks. She did it. This really makes me angry, that prosecuter and judge should be sued along with the writter. Diane Downs children: Where are Christie and Stephen now? I state that it is not my place to judge innocence or guilt. Brewer changed his mind. This whole tale is just unbelievable. I hope she is granted parole. Something that would never stand in court now. Some would say that Diane Downs was condemned because of her lies and inconsistencies, but I think that it was mostly because of her disturbing demeanor and brash personality. In 2008, a psych evaluation by L. Williams, Ph.D., Chief of Mental Health at Valley State Prison for Women, explained Dianes lack of emotions and its relationship to her case. Jesus Ortiz Paz's parents, net worth, wife, and daughter. I have simply bothered researching the evidence and in some instances, the lack of it. However, Elizabeth was expelled from the religious institution as she didn't conform to the school's strong religious values. While Rules book is biased, it was a look into the view of those who wanted justice for those children, wether you agree w/ their conclusion or not, that was their goal. N u pleaded guilty of murdering ur husband. And in fact this would have been about the time that Charlene broke a bottle of liquor that you had. Distractify is a registered trademark. Diane, 18, had run away from home to do so. Did Anyone Watch 20/20 Last Night? - Page 3 - Blogs & Forums - QVC What got her convicted was two things the towel and Christie. What was the justification? Being bipolar, she had no impulse control so it should not have surprised anyone. It did not matter that they had no evidence; they did not like her attitude and she was going to pay for it. She entertained the idea of opening a surrogacy agency but the project never really took off. I never found a photo of James C. Jagger online. It seems that everyone commenting just knows shes guilty, like you say. The person leaned into the car. Open ended sentences like this are meant to provide a means of control and public safety when considering dangerous offenders who may pose a continued risk to the public. Q. In fact, Knick admits Diane took that gold chain as collateral against a $500 LOAN she made to him. As we have reported in great detail in the past, Diane Downs could not possibly have committed the crime of shooting her children, or there would have been evidence of gunpowder residue and blood. Many people have wondered why the two separated after seven years of marriage. I went on ebay and ordered multiple stuff from the 80s, news footage, just to hear what she sounded like, because of all the talk in the book about her demeanor. If thats what you want then dont pretend its anything but. So if we started judging people harshly for their flaws, it would never end. She had no blood spatter or gun powder residue on her hands,clothing or hair. The person who shot the kids was leaning inside the car because they were shot at close range. Click to listen to podcast explaining the gun test, Dianes mental condition and the lack of forensic evidence. Ive done my research. If Hugi got attached to the children, why did he wait 2 years when little Christie was starting to say she had no clue who shot them? The case was so one sided that it is about time some of us bring up the other side. The gun problem or the absence of blood and powder residues are not make believe. It is possible that he still resides in Arizona, but exactly where he is or what he does, we dont know. Not speculative? Two wrongs do not make a right but illustrates that she should have never been coerced before, during or after the trial. Van Houten has made her choices and needs to own up to her actions and stop putting all the blame on drugs and Manson. But the fact that the prosecutor called her a deviant sociopath in court without any assessment became another nail in her coffin. Nevertheless, when Diane came back to Arizona, the pair united, and soon, on November 13, 1973, to be exact, the couple tied the knot. Its as if they cant control it. And so, very quickly, they formed a relationship. And on this site, I mention that I take a restorative approach. but I think there are some extreme cases that knock women in a bad psychotic way that can be life threatening. So, how much do you know about him aside from this acting profile? What about the fact that they never found the gun? But saying that you are not very smart is useless. Lack of impulse control is also another symptom that might explain why a mother would stop at night to help a stranger flagging her on the road. Im all for justice, reviewing facts and overturning corrupt decisions. 5. You are telling me to take my smugness elsewhere because it is tiresome. Wow. Shes where she belongs. Thats why Diane wouldnt agree to marry unless Knick first signed a premarital agreement that when they divorced, Knick would take nothing from their marriage. It should have raised a red flag concerning her mental stability or the possibility that more people were involved. Who was Burt Reynolds married to when he died and who inherited his estate? I go through every new finding and I point out what was done at trial that did not respect due process. At Sophie Sergie murder trial, jury hears recordings of Steven Downs Cheryl Lynn followed in 1976, and Stephen Daniel was born in 1979. Mr. If not, why not? Despite all of this: that the attorney became a Foster Carer irrelevant, inflammatory, subjective and bears no reflection on the trial, or indeed the trial outcome. Hello. As far as her innocence goes and the possibility of being paroled if she admitted her crime, Diane strongly maintains her innocence. If, as Proctor said, it was exchanged right away, and the other Ruger was subsequently stolen by Steven, how was it remotely possible for him to have this info? The only reason they kept her in prison even if she had all the right documentation and support, is because she is high profile. It is not, as the blogger frequently refers to, evidence. Diane doesnt believe Rebecca is her daughter, rather a media puppet ran by Rule. We, who watched her parole hearing a few years ago prayed HARD that she wouldnt be set free, know she is guilty. It seems like Steve and Diane were meant to be together. The fact that she took the kids to the nearest hospital, andtwo of them survived kind offlies in the face of their murder at all costs theory. They would have welcomed them with open arms. Diane recanted the stories about her dad who vehemently denied them. Forensics or lack thereof and blood splatter? It was faulty. Danny was the product of an affair. They were not truth seekers and enjoyed a nice burning at the stake instead. It appears that you have to be a perfect mother with no lovers and not afflicted with any mental illness to be considered innocent until proven guilty in America. Another conflict of interest. http://www.salem-news.com/articles/july152013/midnight-med-tb-2.php Ive been trying to decipher her handwriting on the couple of pages she wrote to her daughter (misquoted on here somewhere is a highlighted If you love your little boy, youll take him far away from here- why is this being taken as a threat and not a warning?!). It was pitch black outside. Even on a worldwide scale, the age of accountability is considered to be twelve years old. Downs: And there was a big reward, too. The circumstances surrounding the crimes against these innocent children demand to be used as evidence.. My comment to you Lise is about your reply to a previous comment where you say Diane should have been released by now regardless of her statements. I was also stunned that she took the reports of all of Dianes ( mostly married) ex lovers as absolute truth and never once questioned that they might have been lying and retrospectively minimising their feelings for Diane to protect themselves. 'Leave It to Beaver' star Tony Dow explains why he wasn't allowed to Justice is all that is left. If the grandparents and uncle had visitation rights, they could have respected some rules as far as not discussing the case, but imagine if she had told them that she did not remember? So appropriate! She says she was outside the car n watched the man shoot her children n then the only adult n person who could tell police about him only gets a shot in the arm n takes time to bandage her arm. Im glad you continued to look for more information as time went on. (her family confirmed that she had a mood disorder, possibly bipolar 2), So when Dr. George Suckow from the Oregon State Hospital in Salem was called as a States rebuttal witness and he made a professional diagnosis of Diane as histrionics, antisocial and narcissistic, he openly said in court that he interviewed Diane for 1 hour and read evidence presented by the state to make his diagnosis.. why didn't steve downs get custody - dtdigital.net I will agree that it was suspicious that Diane got away with one bullet in the arm, even if the injury was severe, but she was outside the car and many scenarios are possible to that effect. she flat out says, they are saying Duran Duran made her shoot her kids!..Im like HUHOkay now this is my favorite groupstill is at 44yrs old.I had to investigate this. "We are obviously disappointed at the verdict. If you shoot at least 6 inches from a victim, you see what is around you in the car. The unreliability of childrens testimony has been documented by cognitive psychologists such as Elizabeth Loftus of the University of Cornell and others. So, why didn't Steve Downs get custody? I watched the highlights of her hearing. Everyone deserves peace. They examined her clothes also. This was all logged in Christies hospital reports and is found in the Appendix of the petition filed in Federal Court in 1996 in the section Hospital Reports.. rudy francisco rifle analysis / ford employee profit sharing 2022 / why didn't steve downs get custody. Dianes ex-lover, Robert Knickerbocker, also said the same.