The .22 Nosler is a SAAMI approved and standardized cartridge. Muzzle Brake & Flash Hider Caliber Fit Guide - Precision Armament Follow along to see exactly how. Howdy JimI noticed on your recoil chart.that you have the 300 Win mag 11 notches higher on the totem polethan the 338 Win mag..can this be true ??? His third shot struck in the vitals, and within a few feet the moose stumbled and went down for good. It is considered to have very mild recoil, which many youth shooters and all adult shooters can generally shoot without any flinch or pain. Its 3.340-inch overall length permits its use in standard-length actions. Im specifically comparing 7prc, 6.8 western, and 277 fury. The 33 Nosler is SAAMI approved and will be supported with . O.K.H. I dont see anywhere in the article where I said the muzzle velocity of a 50BMG? It is the second cartridge designed by Nosler. Water capacity (filled level with the case mouth) is 94.6 grains, while the case weight is 281.8 grains with a primer installed. For these same reasons, the .33 Nosler has had the shoulder datum moved back (or is shorter) than the .30 Nosler. The name .33 Nosler refers to the first two digits in the caliber (0.338in; 8.6mm) of the bullets that the cartridge fires and the name of the company which created it. I have considerable respect for the capabilities of this caliber. Without a muzzle brake, the .33 is no fun at all to shoot from the bench or prone, though its manageable in field positions and youd likely never notice the recoil with a big bull in your crosshairs. Best .338 Magnum: Showdown at the High-Power Corral I have no idea where you sourced all of this information but, this is very impressive and extremely helpful. 60 years later, and 28 Nosler created in 2014, around 70-74 years after Roy's. I just pulled up some factory loads for the three and just wanted to show the difference in 70 years of development. 500-yard drop: 33 inches . Thanks for any help. A radial-port brake has holes all around the sides which can make it more effective, but sends out a blast of dust when shot near the ground because it blasts down and not just to the sides. Like same gun weight and/or powder weight charge? This is Nosler's third cartridge following its predecessors the .26 Nosler which was released in 2014 and the .28 Nosler which was released in 2015. Other notable features include a two-position safety, hinged floorplate, one-piece firing pin and an adjustable Rifle Basix trigger. Also, how hard would it be to add a 12 and 20 gauge sabot slug to the work? That's why Nosler selected to use a hand-lapped Shilen match-grade barrel on Model 21 rifles. 33 Nosler Rifle Cartridge; Team Nosler. The company claims there's no upper impact velocity limit for the E-Tip bullet and that it'll . Thanks so much for this! Nosler's factory ammunition is offered with the 225-grain AccuBond, the 265-grain AccuBond Long . They chose .333-inch bullets because .338-inch .33 Winchester bullets were too light and gave poor performance on big game when pushed to O.K.H. The latter two have become popular and have proven extremely effective for large game such as moose, Alaskan brown bears, etc. [16], The .30 Nosler was released in January 2016. It generates 21.34 ft-lbs of energy at 12.55 fps. This is a fantastic table, as I am in the market for a new rifle to use out west on elk and deer. I have tried many different methods for reducing the recoil of cartridges that are too powerful. I would support you. The .28 Nosler is basically only appropriate for the biggest game in North America. I am looking at expanding my rifle collection and this info is so helpful. Greatly appreciate not only your brain of knowledge but more so, your heart of sharing. Hornady Brass Unprimed 308 Win Match. A Quick Guide to Understanding Free Recoil Energy. This also shortens bolt travel and usually results in a lighter rifle. This efficient new cartridge rivals the velocity and energy of the proven .338 Lapua Magnum while using significantly less powder. The Nosler AccuBond is one of the best all-round big-game bullets offered, and Weatherby has smarly offered . While the .308 Winchester still has enough of a punch to take large game within 300 yards, its efficacy starts to drop off after that, while the .28 Nosler is up for anything up to 500 yards and beyond. So, in the spirit of consistency, who needs a .33 Nosler? 308 norma mag 300 win mag 300 h&h mag 30 nosler 300 rem ultra mag 300 wby mag 300 prc (no fit) 10. The name .30 Nosler refers to the first two digits in the caliber (0.308in; 7.62mm) of the bullets that the cartridge fires and the name of the company which created it. Thanks for that JamesGod bless from Cypress, TX. A broad butt and comb help spread the recoil over a greater area of your shoulder and face for added comfort. The .50BMG produces a tremendous amount of recoil, measuring at 83.17 ft-lbs of energy. Contributor Brad Fenson takes to the grill, to cook up some delicious venison burgers. I have taken a considerable number of big game with .338s, including elk, moose, black bear, caribou, deer, pronghorn antelope, grizzly and Alaskan brown bears and have also used them in long-range target work at distances out to 2,000 yards. 338 federal 338-06 338-06 ack 338 win mag 33 nosler 338 rem ultra mag 340 wby mag. I created it because other recoil databases I found online are dated and do not have the depth of research to truly compare cartridges apples-to-apples. Hunting with the brake meant taking a second to put my ear plugs in before I pulled the trigger on that bull but, fortunately, I had plenty of time to do so. The 33 shares the same parent case (404 Jeffery) as the rest of the family but fires .338 caliber bullets for the toughest of big game. The barrel was broken in by firing one round, then completely cleaning the barrel after each shot for the first 10 shots. So, what does that mean in the real world? I compare 2 premium hunting rounds. The extra power of the .28 Nosler is necessary if so. Additionally, if youll be shooting elk-sized game within 300 yards, the added recoil might just not be worth it for power that you wont really be using. The shoulder is set back slightly compared to the 5.56 cartridge to prevent accidentally chambering a 5.56 cartridge in a .22 Nosler rifle. Recoil impacts your comfort, your ability to fire a second shot quickly, and especially your ability to shoot the gun accurately. Suppose a giant, heavy semi-truck is parked in front of you with your shoulder on the bumper. It is capable of firing bullets weighing up to 160 grains at velocities of up to 3300 feet per second. Have you, or could you , review rifle availability for left handers? The Weatherby drives a similar bullet at least 200 fps faster and thereby has to have more recoil. I love learning about these types of topics your videos and presented data are very well done! Before we dig too far into the weeds on this topic, Im going to nibble on some crow: not a huge bite, mind you, but maybe a taste of the drumstick. 30 Nosler vs 300 PRC: Which is the Better Cartridge for You? - YESTACTICAL Christensen Arms. This is because the bullet for that cartridge has a .308" diameter. I just wanted to say thanks. My preferred method for reducing recoil is using a silencer (suppressor, if you will). We updated a few numbers in the chart but forgot to update the text. So it would apply to deer or elk. The 33 Nosler is capable of propelling a 225gr AccuBond at 3025 fps and the brand new 265gr AccuBond Long Range at 2775 fps. but this was a crazy amount of work even without adding more calibers to it. Heres a look at 10 of the most flexible long-range hunting cartridges. It is the fifth cartridge designed by Nosler. When a caliber packs a heavy punch, it usually kicks right back onto your shoulder. Introduced in 2015 [13] and approved by SAAMI on January 19, 2015. Theres a lot of data here that I dont agree with like a 243 having more killing power than a 25_06 at 300 yds,aint gonna happen Ive owned both have shot deer at that distance with both 25_06 is supperior, in my experience and Im a great shot,ill back that up if you come to my personal shooting range!I shoot 416 Rigby with modern loads 400 trainers to 2650 fps no sweat! Four of Nosler's Cartridges, the .26 Nosler, .28 Nosler, .30 Nosler, and .33 Nosler, are based on the same .300 Remington Ultra Magnum[6] parent case. . RELATED: 6.5 Creedmoor vs. .308 Winchester. loved the info was very helpful, literally a life saver. The .28 Nosler is based on the .26 Nosler which was released in 2014. The newest .338 magnum, the 33 Nosler arrived on the market in 2016. 10. Is there a formula for it? One thing I did learn from this is how light the 6.5 creedmoors recoil was. I like the little 308, but I think the 280 pretty much smokes it all the way around. The bullet looks like it came out of an advertisement and retained 223.8 grains of its weight, which must mean that the polymer tip weighed 1.2 grains. For the next 20 rounds, it was cleaned after every five shots. He was on the ground within five seconds of the first shot and never took a step. Thanks Jim. It only makes sense: the .28 Nosler will stay supersonic past 1,700 yards, while the .308 Winchester will stay supersonic until the 800-900 yard range. So, its no surprise that the velocity is higher earlier as well. Hi Jim, For example, in 1958 Winchester announced the .338 Winchester Magnum (for the Model 70 rifle), which was the .300 H&H Magnum case shortened, blown out with a 25-degree shoulder and necked to accept .338-inch bullets. The .28 Nosler is a 7mm (.284") caliber, rebated-rim centerfire rifle cartridge designed by Nosler. Fortunately, understanding the conversions between metric and imperial for handgun calibers is quite a bit easier because there are far fewer common pistol cartridges than there are rifle cartridges. Then, look in the three right columns to make sure it has enough power to kill the animal youre hunting. Upon skinning it, the third bullet, a Nosler 250-grain Partition, was found under the skin on the offside and showed perfect expansion and had destroyed the lungs. The higher magnification settings make it suitable for taking game in open country where longer shots can be expected. 14 Lightweight Hunting Rifles For Every Budget | Field & Stream Nosler plans to use a 1:8.5" (216mm) twist barrel for their M48 rifles chambered in .27 Nosler. While the .26 Nosler and the .28 Nosler share the same cartridge case dimensions, the .30 Nosler has a slightly shorter length to the shoulder dimension than the .26 Nosler and the .28 Nosler,[7] and the .33 Nosler has a shorter shoulder dimension yet than that of the .30 Nosler. Double checked my info and I can confirm its correct. Though 225Grain is a bullet weight that my 338/26-Nosler shines at. . Its twin bias erector system is constructed of shock resistant beryllium copper. There are other good options as well, but 6.5 Creedmoor has such good bullet availability (during normal times) and rifles to select from that its a no brainer. Both make this little mountain gun 1000 yard capable. When you have to hike a mile to close 200 yds, will you? The recoil VELOCITY number of the .50 BMG is similar to a .308. Everything You Need to Know About Nosler E-Tip Ammunition Elk Cartridge Showdown: .308 Win vs. .300 Win. Mag. vs. 338. Win. Mag. In 2014 Nosler introduced the flat-shooting .26 Nosler, following it up in 2015 with the .28 Nosler (7mm) that was based on the .26 case but necked accordingly. Nosler advertises 95-percent weight retention and recommends a minimum impact velocity of 1,800 feet per second for reliable expansion. The Model 48 Patriot is designed specifically for big-game hunters, with its classic-style stock with cheekpiece. The 33 Nosler is SAAMI approved and will be supported with ammunition and components from Nosler beginning Q1 of 2017. Add a bit of stock bulk and weight to soak up some of that recoil. And also 30-06 , 205 gr . In this case, youll need the .28 Nosler. I watched a video of another hunter in camp who shot a bull with a 225-grain Accubond and it dropped so fast it looked like it had been struck by lightning. Some of these have been very successful commercially with hunters and match shooters and with various militaries, but for several reasons others have struggled. Sure, it makes lots of noise and scares the crap out of everyone on the range, but it doesnt really punish the shoulder. Have a lightweight granddaughter to test a few rifles recoil tomorrow, your time gathering this information is greatly appreciated and will definitely keep her from going into recoil shock. The 404 Jeffery sired the majority of Nosler's cartridge line, namely the 30 Nosler, 26 Nosler, and 33 Nosler as well as other cartridges like the 7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum (SAUM). Their most noted included the .333 O.K.H. The 338 Lapua kicks more than the 300 Norma (heavier bullet) and the narrower 30 cal bullet from the 300 Norma is performing better when launched at high velocities. The .28 Nosler has a bullet diameter of .22, a case length of 1.76, and an overall length of 2.26. I wouldnt mind hunting but not sure how to start. Its going to be overkill on anything else. The .26 and .28 Noslers share the same case dimensions except for the neck being sized to accept respective bullet diameters, but the .30 Nosler case has the shoulder datum moved back to a shorter dimension. .30 Nosler vs .300 PRC: Which is Better? - eatingthewild.com The .28 Nosler also packs a much greater punch to keep its stopping power up over those long ranges. Throughout shooting sessions, the trigger broke cleanly at 2 34 pounds. [10], The .26 Nosler cartridge specifications have been submitted to SAAMI and a data sheet is currently available.[4]. X-Vision Optics long-range ImpactThermal Scope (TS300) boasts a 640 x 480 thermal sensor that can detect big game well past 3,000 yards. [5][9], The high velocity of the .26 Nosler cartridge has raised concerns about excessive barrel wear, potentially wearing down barrels at a rate faster than that of the similar .264 Winchester Magnum, which itself has a reputation for being a "barrel burner". The 338, with a heavier, wider bullet, exhibits lower recoil velocity as a result. Great article. The .28 Nosler is also typically quite a bit pricier, and youll likely have to pay more for a nice rifle chambered in it as well. If I were to get a 338 I would probably rebarrel a m70 Featherweight. They share a maximum body diameter of 14.0mm (0.550in). The primary use for the .27 Nosler is hunting. For deer-sized game, it is recommended that you have at least 1,000 ft-lbs of energy, a Hornady HITS formula ranking of at least 500, and at least 1,900 fps of velocity. 7mm Weatherby created around the 1940's, 7mm RUM created in 2001 approx. It is the first cartridge designed by Nosler.[4][3][5]. Do you keep current data on updates to the recoil table? Thats 275 fps faster than the 338 Win Mag using the same length action and 25 fps faster than the 338 Lapua at the muzzle while burning 18% less powder. Jim, love your blog and YouTube channel. It is implied, but you're right in that it should have been emphasized . Best regards. . It too was designed to function in .30-06 length (3.340-inch) actions. It is commonly called a guns kick. More recoil is created when more powerful powder loads and lighter-weight firearms are used. Short Belted was based on the .300 H&H Magnum case but shortened, blown out and necked to accept .333-inch bullets and had an overall length that allowed it to function in .30-06 length actions but gave notably greater velocities than the .333 O.K.H. Thank you again Jim for your excellent channel, Just curious of your thoughts on the 6mm Remington I have a Mohawk that is chambered in that as you know the Mohawk has an 18 inch barrel. 28 vs 33 Nosler | Long Range Hunting Forum Keep in mind that attaching a muzzle brake reduces the free recoil energy by about 40% and attaching a suppressor reduces free recoil energy by about 32%. ), .330 Dakota and others. One could even make the case that heading into dangerous game country to hunt non-dangerous game warrants a big gun with big bullets in-case of an unintentional encounter. 27 Nosler Sets The .270 Caliber On Fire - Gun Digest - MooreAmmo.com When set on 2x, this makes a great scope for brush or timber hunting, as it offers a wide field of view. Thanks, buddy! Recoil Velocity = (Powder charge in grains * 1.75 + bullet weight in grains) * muzzle velocity in FPS / weight of gun in lbs / 7000gr. Offered in twenty chamberings, the rifle features a sporter carbon fiber composite gunstock and a stainless steel radial muzzle brake built around a light target contour Christensen Arms carbon fiber wrapped barrel. I also think it rules out a lot of fine cartridges that I have seen people use very effectively. Your email address will not be published. Thank you for your hard workvery much appreciated. As I stressed in my earlier piece, there are no free lunches in physics: the 33 Noslers power comes at a price in-terms of recoil. It also prevents cross-caliber chambering. I am interested in this, but your cartridge column seems to have values for velocity (fps), muzzle energy. velocities, and they had a much lower ballistic coefficient than desired. Now it all makes sense. The cartridge was the .33 Nosler and the bullet was the new 225-grain E-Tip. I listened to your Youtube explanation of why but I think its a little bit of I like apples and dont like your oranges. Kinda talk. It is the fourth cartridge designed by Nosler. 35 remington 358 winchester 35 whelen 35 whelen ack 350 rem mag (no fit) 358 . Just recognize that its going to push you a loteven though it wont be painful. We can see that the .28 Nosler has quite a smaller bullet and length than the .308 Winchester: it is just its increased energy that makes it such a more powerful cartridge. The classic-style, synthetic stock (a proprietary blend of Kevlar and other lightweight synthetic materials) features aluminum pillars and is Marine Tex bedded. During the spring conservation order, you can hunt with outfitters from Arkansas to Saskatchewan. At 300 yards, that advantage breaks into four digits at 1,020 ft-lbs more of a punch for the .28 Nosler. Nosler will be offering their complete line of M48 rifles in the .27 Nosler chambering. That the .33 Nosler fits into a standard .30-06 length action (maximum cartridge length being within 3.340 inches) makes it feasible to be chambered in many rifles and actions. As yet, no one offers a 250 grain AccuBond in factory ammo for the 33 Nosler, and it would have scored closer to the .338 RUM with a 250. Still, theres nothing more useless than a powerful cartridge that a hunter is scared of. Nosler Custom 338Win 24.75" Walnut w/Leupold Limited Edition If you arent dedicated to significantly longer range accuracy, the .308 Winchester can fit most of your needs with the right load in a more affordable package. Why not offer Patreon support since YouTube demonetized your channel? With the recoil data, I opted for 6.5 creedmoor as one my wife could be able to use comfortably to protect her animals from predators. It is purely a big-game hunting cartridge that utilizes .338-inch bullets. Bottles & 12-oz. A premium action requires a premium barrel. Nosler M48 Patriot 308 $ OUT OF STOCK. If you are a serious elk hunter, the .33 Nosler would be hard to beat. 350 legend. Is there a specific suppressor you would recommend for this rifle? It has a slightly longer overall length than the 30 Nosler (which is based on the same case), but not by much. While the .26 Nosler and .28 Nosler share the same cartridge case dimensions, the .30 Nosler has a slightly shorter length to the shoulder dimension than the .26 Nosler and .28 Nosler,[7] and the .33 Nosler has a shorter shoulder dimension yet than that of the .30 Nosler. Thanks. 33 Nosler Load Data Unfortunately, the 30 Nosler has the same design limitations as the 300 Win Mag, 300 RUM, and the 300 Weatherby. The Christensen Arms . The CDS (Custom Dial System) can be custom tailored at no cost to correspond with the precise ballistics of a given load to compensate for bullet drop. SA Ultra Mag (Article . Fantastic information thank you for your work. The Nosler family of cartridges was born in 2014 with the introduction of the 26 Nosler, followed by the 28 Nosler in 2015, 30 Nosler in 2016 and now we're ready to introduce the patriarch of the family - the 33 Nosler. These charts have been eye opening and informative, thank you. Although we strive to provide the most accurate information as we can the information contained in this page is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness. The success of the 26 Nosler led to an expansion in the lineup and now we have the 28 Nosler (7mm), 30 Nosler (.30 caliber), and the .33 Nosler (.338) to choose from. Introduced in 2016, the .30 Nosler is a SAAMI approved and standardized cartridge. Now I am better informed and will make better decisions regarding what to buy and stock up on. Earlier I was getting 3025 fps with the 225gr nosler E-tip with 84 gr 4831sc. I watch your videos, get stoked about a cool products, like the 2020 waypoint, then research it for a lefty an Nope!, not available. The .224 Valkyrie is a similar cartridge, but the two are not interchangeable. About Backfires Rifle Recoil Table: How we perform calculations. Your rifle is your most important hunting tool, and knowing how to properly clean and store it when hunting season comes to a close is critical in keeping it in tip-top shape. Can Coolers | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Find More Great NRA Publications Perfect For Every Interest, Discover Everything That The NRA Has To Offer. It is available with a one-turn Zero Stop or a two-turn without the Zero Stop. 6.5 PRC Vs. Creedmore, Nosler, and Other Cartridges. Looking more at the averages of most likely. How does it compare to a 130 grain 6.5 Creedmore cartridge? Initial factory loads will include the 9.7g (150gr) AccuBond and the 10.7g (165gr) AccuBond Long Range (ABLR) bullets. The throats and cartridge overall lengths of their SAAMI design chambers are too short. Although it became popular for woods and timber hunting, it was not a long-range powerhouse for large game, as it shared a trajectory similar to the .30-30 Winchester. It would seem like you could get away with even less gun if you limited your shots to closer in. With that, there was mention that for deer the cartridge should have Hornady HITS ranking of at least 500 and for elk 900. Nosler is also offering rifles chambered in the .33 Nosler in its Liberty and Heritage lines, with the first rifle being the M48 Western. Appreciate and enjoy all the the content you put out. The 28 Nosler is quite a step up from the 7mag, being it can handle the 195 bergers it it's in a different class as far as LRH. Its a round that I was never really interested in until now because it seems to be the only ammo I can find these days. Grizzly, caribou. Copyright 2023Sportsman's Warehouse. That being said, the two cartridges are very similar and whether felt recoil is more in one cartridge or the other is more about rifle design than cartridge design. The Ridgeline is the quintessential hunting rifle. Nosler M48 Long-Range Carbon Bolt 33 Nosler 26 3+1 Carbon Fiber MCS Elite Midnight Camo Stock Sniper $ OUT OF STOCK. This makes it tough to figure out the recoil of a rifle unless you look up a lot of other information first. It is claimed that the .22 Nosler delivers 25% more case capacity and is nearly 90m/s (300ft/s) faster than a .223 Remington/ 5.56 NATO. Great job Jim! Rifle Recoil Table - CHUCKHAWKS.COM Muzzle Brake & Flash Hider Caliber Fit Guide. I think youre a natural at this Jim How about the 450 Marlin? Booth #70423. Both advertise ve. This can reduce the recoil between 20% and 50% depending on the size and effectiveness of the brake. They work on grizzlies at close range but can reach out to put down a wounded moose at long range.. For the most part, handgun calibers are either 9, 10, 11, or 12mm. We use cookies to make your experience better. The top of the Nosler's receiver is drilled and tapped with Remington Model 700-pattern hole spacing. Hey Jim just wanted to tell you that I love the channel.. very informative about not only what rifle options are best for our budget but what caliber might be best for our needs. [8], When released, the .26 Nosler was claimed to be the most powerful commercial 6.5mm cartridge in the world. Heres how to avoid the poseurs and choose the right one. It is the third cartridge designed by Nosler. Sign up with your email address to receive news and updates. However, you will be able to take that large game over a variety of distances. 33 Nosler | Long Range Hunting Forum Jim Harmer is a host of the Backfire Youtube channel. By the time the guide sat down and got into position with his rather rusty and heavily worn Ruger M77RS .338 Winchester Magnum rifle, the 1,700-pound bull had crossed the river and was beyond 500 yards, with its long legs rapidly increasing that distance. Considering available factory ammunition options for the most popular 30 caliber cartridges, the 30 Nosler is at the top of the list ballistically. Behind the Bullet: .33 Nosler | An Official Journal Of The NRA An additional method to reduce the recoil of a firearm is to use downloaded rounds. The .28 Nosler and the .308 are both big game cartridges, but they have very different effective ranges. nosler 33 vs 338 edge | Long Range Hunting Forum Right off the bat, the .28 Nosler takes a significant advantage in terms of velocity.