Champion oil filters are known to keep dirt and harmful particles from damaging your engine. Thicker-walled can increased wall thickness for improved structural integrity. DVIDS - News - Creative engineering solution at FRCE overcomes shortage I still stand on my opinion that anyone who operates any engine without an oil filter is going to be spending far more in extra maintenance than having an oil filter would cost them. Powered by Invision Community. I have three of these in my personal stockpile.. if youre really stuck, send me a PM and Ill be happy to sell you one for whatever they normally go for online. As the good old boys say, its them thats got the money who make the rules and this is a good example of what were talking about here. According to Doyle, he thinks the ring magnet in the Tempest might provide some owners with additional peace of mind, but prefers the Champion. Cant even throw us a bone and offer Prime?! In energy transitions, the use of fossil energy is gradually abandoned and switched to a cleaner new renewable energy (NRE). It's kind of been gradually downhill.. Some other places may do it within service limits. I have seen magneto blast tubes cut ( causing high mag. If you know you're coming up to where you need to do an overhaul, or you want to do an overhaul, get with what engine shop you want and prefer to use. They've opened up some extra shifts. We suspect the Champion brand recognition may have some bearing on this. I wonder if anyone has a spare Tempest AA48108-2 Spin on oil filter or equivalent that they are willing to sell me. We would like your help so we can serve the industry better! Colorado Springs. We have a solution! Aircraft Oil Filter Inspection - YouTube Dennis, I hope Ive added something to this subject that will help you understand why not every engine doesnt come standard with a full flow oil filter. It's hard for a smaller shop like us to do that, especially when we may not need that many cylinders of one model, we may need 10 different models worth of cylinders, Kuti explained. They sell super fast. To that end, we would put the money saved toward more frequent oil changes. Each of these companies would come to Lycoming and tell us that they required an engine with so many horsepower, not weighing more than X pounds, etc. "The shortage of raw materials and supply chain issues in automotive and consumer technologies, especially with the microchip shortage, are well known, but I hadn't noticed an impact on private. (All Years) - TSB for alternate engine oil filter | Subaru Forester The high quality media is preformed, convoluted and cured at a controlled temperature to form a durable, heat shock- and chemical-resistant filter medium. Your previous content has been restored. The new filter (p/n CH48110-1) was replaced and oil pressure indication was normal. Heavy duty parts shortage filters into OEM output, suppliers, service Our original design was similar to the current Tempest design, thus garnering the phrase on the current Tempest filter: "The Original." In 2002, based on decades of experience, Champion improved the "original" design with the introduction of the "-1" part numbers. New inlet design changed four-hole design to an eight-hole design for approximately 30% greater inlet flow area. Re: Oil filter shortage, help requested. Q: How often should I replace my Tempest oil filter? 3,927. Wicks Aircraft offers everything for aircraft enthusiasts; from aircraft fittings, complete aircraft kits, chrome moly tubing, aircraft aluminum, and more. Now, I have an eight-month supply of all AOG and flight critical parts. But bigger than that is the global spare parts and raw materials supply, transport and manufacture shortages (inc oil filters) from COVID and the Ukraine War have all added up. Transair have 35 in stock when I looked John Milner Fairly tolerant PPL/IR flying a TB 20 from Gloucestershire and Flyer Club member. Insert Pics. We do inspections, repairs, and everything you can think of on an airplane, he continued. Facebook Thank you for your continued support. Adding more things behind the engine can change the airflow and effect cooling of the engine or accessories as well increasing the chances for failure. And it came from Canada, so it was somewhere stuck in quarantine with all that stuff that goes on, he said. LauraJ Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter Joined We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. It has changed, Kuti said. Patience, Cryer said, is the key to weathering the issues the industry faces right now. It provides both surface and scientific depth filtration because the oil flows through many layers of locked-in fibers. Cryer, a mechanic since 1989, started Plane Safe in 2022 and is celebrating their 20th anniversary. It's not that we can't do them or won't do them, it's the parts are hard to get for them makes it very difficult to do them, he explained. He sees a time when these engines will need to be replaced with new models due to unavailable parts. I think short term, if we don't get the fuel prices under control, we might see a decline in flying, Cryer said. per page. Cryer said that their approach to repairs is to treat everything as an uncommon repair, no matter how common it may be. Airworx LLC - Has everyone heard that there is a shortage - Facebook Have problems with your aircraft? Champion Aerospace CH48108-1 Aircraft Oil Filter Our Part #: SGP104242 Manufacture Part #: CH48108-1 Our Price: $47.44 Price Per Each Bulk Shop & Save 12 + $45.82 ea. Our world here at Plane Safe has been absolutely busy. Aircraft engine maintenance, like most things in 2022, is not as straightforward as it used to be. Please refer to FAA approved data or engine/airframe/propeller manufacturers parts listing for final determination of article approval. Whether you need 3038705-2 aircraft oil filters, 3119604-01 Cessna aircraft engine oil . Safety-wire tabs are conveniently located on hex nut for easy access. Hemi 6.4. I changed them at 5000 miles even back in the 80s. Astonished to find this is on a long backorder everywhere (Spruce, Chief, Skygeek). Shorter stud length on CH 48110-1 for tight clearance applications. And we're not afraid to search, we're not afraid to call people, we're not afraid to call other shops and ask for their help on it. In addition, customers have told us the height of a standard oil filter can make it difficult for them to install the filter in certain engine applications. AA48110-2 Tempest Oil Filters - Air Power Inc Our tough steel case provides exceptional strength to resist the high oil pressures which occur during cold engine starts, and meets or exceeds engine manufacturer specifications. The factory gives us service limits and they also give us new limits. As our team continues to work diligently in response to increased demand in the marketplace, please place all orders for oil filters through our distribution network. Powder coated finish for durability, making Champion . aeroshell 31 gallons are in stock at spruce. Over the years aviation oil filters have gotten shorter to help with installation in tight spaces. AcDelco PF66 or WIX WL10351 | Diesel Place Cessna Flyer Association - I Found This in My Oil The US and Europe are much further ahead with a solution for Covid. While we recommend using our taller oil filters when you have the space inside your cowling, using our shorter filters will still provide more than enough filtration coverage when replacing them at the recommended intervals of 25 to 50 hours. Join 110,000 readers each month and get the latest news and entertainment from the world of general aviation direct to your inbox, daily. And the last six months has gotten even worse. Improved baseplate thread replaces cut thread with an improved rolled thread, without affecting tolerances on the thread dimensions. At least get an agreement in place and maybe even a deposit on getting cylinders on order, Kuti said. I've been using AA48108-2 filters on my IO470, and they seem to filter. I ordered a case of Tempest AA48109 oil filters last month from Spruce and they said there out of stock but would have them in on 4/25still waiting. Unlike oil, grease or DC4 compound that leave the filter seemingly bonded to the engines mount pad, making it nearly impossible to remove, our Spin EZ solid lubricant wont extrude or squirt out from under the seal; allowing for removal without a fight. The toughest thing that we have, is not even a parts procurement right now, as much as it is the freight companies. In the northern reaches of Minnesota, where bush flying is as tough as Alaska minus the mountains, A bush pilot's memoir of his adventures in the late 1960's and early 70's detail a career, An opportunity seized to try what many would call the ultimate 2-seat bushplane: the Aviat Husky A-1C, 1.14.2014 - Initial article format In the second part of this series, we cover operations on skis, and the unique challenges. TEMPEST OIL FILTER TORQUE WRENCH from Aircraft Tool Supply FXE: 2199 NW 53rd Street Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309 sales@qaa.com Products / Aircraft Oil Filters Aircraft Oil Filters Quality Aircraft Accessories (QAA) stocks aircraft oil filters from Champion Aerospace and Tempest, as well as installation and inspection tools from Tempest. But now, just because we can't get Champions, we're putting Tempest on as well. The AC Delco stock item for my 1980's 3/4 ton happens to be a direct fit for my O-470 filter. -POSTING RULES https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.as 40&scri=65, http://www.championaerospace.com/assets 07-001.pdf, Return to Maintenance, Tuning, and Parts Support, Family Float Flying: Our Journey To Adventure, The Ultimate Boundary Waters Bush Flying Platform, Flying to Extremes: Memories of a Northern Bush Pilot, Water Dog The Amphibious Aviat Husky A-1C. Not easy, but we find it and we can get it here, Cryer said. Reference Number: GCUS-9-11766. Posts: 13,289. It would seem to me that after all these years there doesnt seem to be any conclusive proof that not having an oil filter was detrimental to the engine; accordingly, one must only assume that it doesnt matter. We have a couple of guys working on a single problem, just to make sure we don't miss anything, Cryer explained, adding that the benefit of two sets of eyes on one problem is that it ensures different approaches. I have never believed in 3000 mile oil changes for cars or trucks. Spruce is backordered to 7 July. Im thinking late 50s or early 60s? Indonesia's Bitter Austerity Measures to Brace for Possible Crisis. We think both are high-quality filters. $31.95. So, I purchased it from Chief and it was marked McFarlane. Internally, they use a paper-like media to perform the actual filtration and they fit the engine the same way. Tempest brand products are manufactured by Aero Accessories, LLC. Heavy, corrugated steel center tube supports each convoluted pleat of the filter element and produces a substantially higher collapse-pressure rating, twice that of other similar filters. And we do that because we're all still a community. I always order stuff on line and usually use LASaero but of late they've had no stock and I've sourced via Transair no bother Aircraft Spruce USA nil stock. (Specifically a AA48108-2 filter)..(Now sorted, thanks) . The construction and operating characteristics are almost indistinguishable (operating pressures, etc., although the oil temps are higher in the O-470, so again, only if you are desperate). Determining which height filter to use all depends on the space you have inside the engine cowling. The reports aren't limited to 2022. In todays world, general aviation is the only segment in the world still using leaded fuel. Creative Engineering Solution at FRCE Overcomes Shortage of V-22 APU The aviation tire supply chain has been one of the earliest and hardest hit by the crisis. Check Craigs ListMichiganYoopersGuy is selling 10 for $100. good luck. Re the application of magenta to the Champion Filter.how many of those little fellas do you use2 or 3? Browse our selection of aircraft oil filters and oil filter tools below. As you pointed out in an earlier piece, with only an oil screen you can also help prevent excessive wear with shorter interval oil changes. Aviation | Qualified Filtration Products | Facet Filtration We are chaotic busy, almost. Thats because before Aero Accessories took over the lineand reengineered it internallythe filter was built by the same company that built the Champion. Spencer aircraft at KPLU have them for $29.95. Cryer too is often on the hunt for parts. I learned this from a Cummins regional manager. In 2021, some . Major oil filter shortage for all GA aircraft across the US. Although great effort has been made to ensure accuracy and completeness, Aero Accessories/Tempest assumes no responsibility for the information contained within this document. CH48110-1 | Champion Aerospace Aircraft Spin-On Oil Filter | Textron Aviation CH48110-1 FILTER OIL Unit of Measure: EA ECCN: 9A991 Weight: 1.38 Pounds Packaged Weight: 1.48 Pounds Dimensions : 4.48 (H) Inches Packaged Dimensions : 3.85 (L) x 5.9 (W) x 3.9 (H) Inches DESCRIPTION Champion Aerospace Aircraft Spin-On Oil Filter Height: 4.48" Hex: 1.00" Just stop and think about this for a moment. The inner part of the gasket assembly is harder than the thinner, outer ring. Smaller particles potentially enter the engine, of course. The strain on the supply chain is causing a hunt for parts, adding a new layer of complexity to engine maintenance and forcing both mechanic and customer to adapt. Only place I could find an ACK-04 ELT main battery was Chief, they of course sent it from Florida (I guess they have a satellite office there or something), whereupon it promptly got lost in hurricane weather and eventually showed up a couple weeks later. By Mohit Oberoi, CFA. Tall filters, of course, have more filtering media, which some believe are effective for longer service intervals. I can go have fun playing golf for cheaper than I can go fly my airplane around. That's a little bit of a concern for me. Getting cylinders for some of these engines is very difficult, especially if you kind of have an oddball engine that makes it even harder. Please refer to FAA approved data or engine/airframe/propeller . Is There Some Sort of Shortage of Champion Oil Filters? I want to keep them for my customers. I'm hoping it gets resolved soon. Oil filter inspection is probably the single most important tool for monitoring the health of a piston aircraft engine. We basically use them as our stock room.. As its nitrogen component causes nitrogen narcosis, it is considered to have a safe depth . Long term cost, ability to inspect filter contents at anytime without the associated costs and no mess filter changes. They are just way behind the curve, said Cryer. Some car owners across the U.S. have been complaining about a motor oil shortage. Keep VAF In the 60s, aircraft engines were relatively inexpensive to overhaul compared to today where an overhaul has become a major excursion in getting to know your local banker. Weight. Checking Your Airplane's Oil - AVweb We had a PT6 engine shipped to us and lost, if you can imagine that. temp.) Our selection of aircraft oil filters for sale includes top brands like Champion Aerospace and Tempest. Rolls-Royce Begins Testing F130 Engines for U.S. Air Force, Moog Inc. 3001 Views 25 Replies 17 Participants Last post by Hoosier Daddy, 10 mo ago. We try to order as much stuff as we can, as soon as we know the engine's coming, and try to get stocked up. They do have a shelf life!! Speaking of more flow, the Champion filter uses eight inflow holes while the Tempest only uses four. Q: Is the AA48110-2 and AA48111 interchangeable? Truck Oil Filter Shortage | Rokslide Forum Thanks to some help from the Total Aircraft Maintenance shop in Hartford, Conn., we cut each filter open and scrutinized their design. Aircraft engines with out filters do have high pressure screens that will easily catch any particle large enough to cause catastrophic damage in a few flights. responsibility for aircraft airworthiness including the installation of approved replacement parts lies with the aircraft owner/operator. Unless anyone has a trick. Location. A: Tempest oil filters use media with a 40-micron rating. Stock up. Champion-brand oil filters keep dirt and harmful particles from damaging your engine. I've ordered Tempest several times from Spruce, they came in their own labeled box, with the logo & part number on it. Champion Oil Filter Shortage - VAF Forums And we get the same thing from other shops in the area, he said. It was missing, realistically, for a little over three weeks. (Specifically a AA48108-2 filter)..(Now sorted, thanks), Re: Oil filter shortage, help requested. We have to hunt pretty much every day for parts, he continued. Champion oil filters combine the advantages of both surface and depth-type filtration: high filtering efficiency, controlled porosity for uniform flow, water resistance, and the resistance to impulse and flow fatigue. I wonder if well be able to use synthetic oil when we switch to 100UL and be able to stretch out the oil change interval. Champion oil filter elements are individually boxed, each with a plastic bag containing installation gaskets and instructions. to make room for add on safety items such as oil filters and stand-by vacuum pumps as well as things such as large air oil separators. . The biggest thing right now we see, as far as what's hard to get, are oil filters. The good news is the vendors and the manufacturers are talking to us and saying, Hey, we're getting this figured out. I gather that there is still no stock with the usual suppliers. Your link has been automatically embedded. Never had one just come loose. "If somebody calls me, I really don't want to sell over the counter parts. Internally, we counted 63 pleats in the filtering paper and measured .0275-inch thickness using a vernier caliper. There's a lot of problems with supply chain. I guess Ive just about beaten this subject to death, but Dennis there is one more very important point Id like to make if I may. 8051. Because the manufacturers aren't changing over tooling to build cylinders for an engine that there's just not a lot of them out there, he said. 14,094. Any and all manufacturers will give you exactly what you want a good example would be buying a new car. Location: Phoenix, AZ and Ensenada, Mexico. Since I try to change my oil about every 4K miles, I try to keep on hand 3 changes worth of oil and filters for each of my vehicles (because just in case). Over probably, I would say, the last year it's gotten worse. Modern spin-on oil filters contain the element, incorporating the anti-drain back valve mechanism (and internal bypass valve 48108-1/48109-1), and are sealed in a disposable housing. It is not a question of if , it is when the failure shows up. Prices have edged down by a few cents in recent days, but remain elevated. The challenger oil filter system replaces your existing throw away filter. Our sense is the larger valve induces more travel, which may or may not play a role in more oil pressure and flow when the filter goes into by-pass. (Photos 03 and 04 on page 28 show an oil screen, and the residue removed from the screen, respectively.) Compared to the Champion, we like the heavier nut-welds on the Tempest hex nut. Tempest Spin EZ Oil Filters | Aircraft Spruce We have a solution! I didn't know this until I got an email from our (Grumman) owners group, but most GA oil filters are on backorder through September/October. Rememberanother old saying: If you want to dance, youve got to pay the fiddler.. Oil filter shortage? The resultant oil pressure in the filter built so high that it burst the seam on the filter case. Oil filters should be snugged to the engine with a torque wrench and the heavier welds guard against breaking. We have them available. Further, the parts shortage is requiring additional time by fight school owners to manage the business, given the extra effort needed to regularly check tracking numbers for parts arrivals and keep a closer eye on inventory in general. Plus, no other filters on the market have Champion's unique, resin-impregnated, full-pleat design 8.2 feet of layered protection for your engine. Tempest. Six-packs are economical, convenient, and easy to handle. ADB valves prohibit oil in the filter from draining back into the engine when the engine is off, retaining oil in the filter thereby providing a continuous flow of oil during engine start-up. The APU filter is a consumable item that is replaced after 1,120 flight hours; it is ordinarily used for one cycle and disposed of after removal. Back in March, Volvo Group announced that the semiconductor shortage would have a "substantial" impact on its global truck manufacturing operations, saying the company would implement "stop days" at plants that would amount to two to four weeks, depending on the production facility. Is There Some Sort of Shortage of Champion Oil Filters? Click here to find a distributor of your choice. Improved spring replaces old leaf spring with an improved coil spring design. But I would say, the bulk of our business is going to be the piston segment, Cryer said. They say they should be available Oct 24th. We always put new cylinders on, new pistons, overhaul the fuel system, mags, new harness, new spark plugs, and we build everything within new tolerances. You know as well as I do, a lot of these airplane owners, if they can afford an airplane, they can afford to go fly them. Q: Is the AA48108-2 and the AA48109 interchangeable? Add to Wish List . T-34 - Wikipedia This means the filtering paper might catch contaminating particles sized 40 microns and larger. These aircraft engine oil filters remove contaminants and particles, ensuring the oil stays clean and effectively lubricates and protects your engine. The effectiveness of the filtering media is measured in porosity, and its said that the average porosity of aviation oil filters is 40 microns. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Examination of the replaced filter noted some paint chips had been removed in the flange area. Announces Executive Leadership Changes, Kansas City Area Business Illegally Supplied Russians With Aviation Tech: Prosecutors, Saudi Arabia To Establish 15 New Plants for Medicines, Aircraft Parts, and Metal Forming. Luckily I've got 2, but if you're coming up on an oil change or annual you might need to start calling folks. Well, Tempest filter just arrived in my Chief order. The OilEasy Wrench is specifically designed to remove the oil filter on any aircraft using the Continental IO-520, or IO-550 engine. I think I read that Tempest has magnets but don't remember seeing any when I cut it open the other day. So definitely kind of stock up on the necessities, put a couple on the shelf. He added that his company has had to purchase a higher price point spark plug 25% to 30% more than the spark plugs they typically buy - because the standard plugs are on 60-day back order. The manufacturer that wouldnt pay for filters, effectively just pushed the cost off onto the end user. Tempest's SPIN EZ filters are designed to come off easy. Total process control helps ensure the highest standard of quality. The oil filter shortage has been a topic of discussion here, numerous other forums, and at fly-ins for most of this year. Part: AA48108-2 Categories: Aircraft Parts, Engine Parts, Oil Filters, Tempest Tag: SPIN EZ. But once all that old stock that people have is depleted, you're really going to be left with trying to figure out the next move. PF66 (GM #55495105) Oil Filter Shortage and Replacement Parts Effective 8/20/2021. Rick Junkin Re: Is There Some Sort of Shortage of Champion Oil Filters? Champion oil filters use resin-impregnated micronic filter media to trap all particles that may cause abnormal engine wear. Was looking for another CH48108-1. Let the hoarding begin! Tempest SpinEZ filters all have magnets. Add to Cart Compare. 2727 18 Comments 2 Shares Share Add the Manufacturer's Certification I'm not sure why that is, he said. It provides both surface and scientific depth filtration because the oil flows through many layers of locked-in fibers. Please click here to email Champion Aerospace. Chief aircraft featured Oil System / Filters categories. Exacerbating these high . The national average price of gasoline surpassed $5 a gallon for the first time ever this month. The presence of these fine particles would, according to Tempest, create a fuzzy appearance on the surface of the ring magnet. seems like champion and tempest filters are unavailable everywhere. Airframe and Powerplant: Engine making metal? - AOPA Feb 27, 2012. The fuzzy appearance of fine metal stuck to the magnet is my first clue that something might be going on in the enginesomething that might not be easy to spot in the filter paper. Please feel free to move to a country where the government micromanages every detail of aviation. Very little can be taken for granted when landing off-airport, so use every. buy those. While numerous factors are driving the parts shortage and overall supply chain strain, one of the factors driving the hunt for parts is simply that its an issue affecting everyone, creating quasi-competition between all. On that engine quote proposal, how much was a few dollars? Dimensions. Wow, glad I bought a box of 6 months ago. $42.95. We are temporarily rethinking our just-in-time inventory approach, not only because of obtaining the parts, but also due to dramatic increases in costs and delays in delivery, Schoensee said. On the other hand, both filters have the same size outflow so its unlikely that more inflow makes a sizable difference in performance. [Its] great for us, because we don't have to keep a lot of things in stock. 312 square inches is the most in aviation oil filters.Spin EZ Solid Lubricant Tempest Spin EZ oil filters proprietary solid lubricant allows for easy removal of the filter. I haven't noticed any shortage of oil products but I have noticed a sharp increase in prices since January for most products. For this reason, Tempest continues to include the retaining cup design as a prophylactic measure. Smaller particles potentially enter the engine, of course. The bypass valve can also be forced open momentarily during cold-temperature starts if the engine has not been preheated or the oil is too thick for the ambient temperatures . Price: $55.95 Qty. Because the oil flows through many layers of locked in fibers, there is no migration of fiber material to clog engine oil passages or affect bearing surfaces. We bought one each Champion and Tempest 48108-series filterwhich fit Continental enginesand sifted through their technical specs. @johnm "Transair have 35 in stock when I looked..". It'll also pay for itself quickly by doubling your oil change interval from 25 to 50 hours. General Aviation; Oil filter shortage, help requested. There, in the drain pan would be three or four and sometimes more oil filters that had not been cut open and inspected. Oil filter shortage, help requested. (Specifically a AA48108-2 filter These common diving breathing gases are used: Air is a mixture of 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen, and approximately 1% other trace gases, primarily argon; to simplify calculations this last 1% is usually treated as if it were nitrogen.Being freely available and simple to use, it is the most common diving gas. Both are available in short and tall design. Champion Full Flow Oil Filters are designed to supply a continuous . It appears they are hard to find and $$ when you do. I still have one left on the shelf, but like to keep stock on all of my rotables. This happens if it becomes clogged with contaminants or if cold oil is too thick to flow through the filter. There are training Cessnas and Pipers sitting grounded for lack of a filter to complete a 100 hour inspection. 2023 Champion Aerospace Inc. All Rights Reserved. Volunteers Serving America's Communities, Saving Lives, and Shaping . No more stabbed cans. I called aircraft spruce east and they have currently orders for 650 with 1400 coming in sometime in June. 1. As it turned out, that price exceeded what they were willing to pay by just a few dollars, so they declined to purchase it.