Home IQ can help you make more informed choices in setting your schedule and temperature preferences. I like most of this! Glad to hear that a 45 humidity level works well for you, thanks for the comment Marsha! Part of this swing, like temperature, comes down to comfort. You can also now select which sensors are participating in this Comfort Setting. After that, your Ecobee3 will automatically go into vacation mode during the specified time without any further interaction. Windows 11: How Much RAM Can Your PC Have? Theres not much information about the Arcoaire FEM4P1800AL system online, but their direct support may know more. ecobee offers good geothermal support, with ways of specifying that yours is a geothermal heat pump in the app (under installation settings -> equipment -> heat pump). As we said before setting a schedule on your thermostat will have many benefits such as convenience, energy-saving, and comfort. If you want to enable Apple HomeKit, go to the Ecobee app then to menu > Setup HomeKit > Get started > Create Home setup > Done > select home > Next > scan the HomeKit code with your phone or enter it manually > OK > Done, then your thermostat will work with your HomeKit, here are the steps with pictures. Verify that your system is wired to maximize its capabilities and work best with the new thermostat. Maximum outdoor operating air temperature for heating mode is 66_F (18.9_C). Lets look at it another way. Higher is better but that isn't going to kill your system. As I touched on earlier, you cant game the system by suddenly cranking up your air conditioning or heat. Link your virtual assistant of choice (or all of them) to your ecobee3, ecobee3 lite, ecobee4, or SmartThermostat with voice control for handsfree temperature control from anywhere. For example, you can set the heat pump to automatically turn off and use the furnace when the outdoor temperature falls below a certain number. Read on to get more money!20 ways to make an extra $200 fast!3 under the cover jobs that pay A LOT.Simple investing for beginners. Tip 8: Install Ecobee Remote if you are a Windows user. Is the temperature of your home a good predictor of the temperature of your bank account? The ecobee manipulates this combination very very well. Making it automated! For questions about the Ecobee check out our FAQ: ecobee SmartTh. Heres What To Do, Wyze Cam Has Blurry Video Recordings: Why This Happens, Wyze Cam Is Beeping Or Chirping: How To Fix This. Smart Recovery is a feature for ecobee thermostats that intelligently preheats or precools your home in anticipation of schedule changes. If you set your house to 60F during the day and 70F when you return, then assuming the outdoor temperature is low enough the aux could kick on immediately. Fortunately, Ecobee thermostats can work with different voice assistants such as Google Assistant, Alexa, Siri, and Cortana. Tristan Perry is a software developer who is passionate about tech gadgets, DIY and housing. Dont miss out on the benefits that an ecobee smart home can bring you this holiday season. However the ecobee smart sensors do not collect humidity data. It just wastes money and exhausts your system. IFTTT stands for (If This Then That) its a software that will help you integrate all your smart home gadgets and apps using what we call IFTTT applets. Handsfree temperature control with virtual assistants. You can also use IFTTT to integrate your Ecobee thermostat with many devices for example with your smart air-purifiers using applets like If the air quality is poor Then run the smart air-purifiers. Tip: We recommend testing to make sure all of your equipment is operating properly when you install the thermostat. Did you know? These devices directly lower the humidity in your home. Turning your settings all the way up doesnt change the temperature any faster. Override the scheduled temperature for better comfort. I disagree though because at 35 the compressor is still going to be moving heat for cheaper than the aux can. Tristan also has an academic background (in Math & Computer Science), and so he enjoys digging into the technical ways that smart home devices work. RELATED: How to Schedule Your Ecobee to Go Into Vacation Mode. Geofencing is a virtual boundary you can set with your Ecobee thermostats, this option is extremely beneficial in terms of adding convenience and reducing energy consumption inside your house. For example, if I want the bedroom to be the area of the house where the temperature needs to be perfect, I can tell the Ecobee to only use the sensor in the bedroom for its temperature reading. 2. We have no pets so animal comfort is not a concern. Hate to be that guy but you need to hire a proofreader because the opening paragraph alone has two typos, one of which changes the entire meaning of the sentence (inelegance). YI Camera Not Scanning QR Code? Ecobee pops up with a warning saying not to turn it off, and set it to 35F. Tip 12: Display temperature on the screen. How-To Geek is where you turn when you want experts to explain technology. Maybe my nickname for my smart thermostat should be the travel agent.. Smart Home Point 2019-2023. Creating a temperature schedule can be very convenient, especially if you have a daily routine. I did, and the second one is behaving the same way. Ecobee has reported that their US customers have already saved around 26% on their cooling and heating bills. In the summer, my daily AC run times average 5-6 hours. On the thermostat: Select Main Menu > Settings > Preferences Select Temperature display Touch F or C Via the Web Portal: Select Settings tile Select Preferences Select Temperature Display Select Fahrenheit or Celsius Heating/Cooling Ranges However, the ideal indoor temperature for winter in an occupied home is 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Craig Lloyd is a smarthome expert with nearly ten years of professional writing experience. Youve bought yourself some wiggle room if youve been stingy about the air conditioner during the daytime. That said, you can always take control and override the set schedule to get the temperature you want at that exact moment. From there, it will automatically gather weather info and display it on the thermostats screen. The humidity sensor in the ecobee is typically very reliable. Cold air cant carry nearly as much moisture as warm air. This device also integrates with all of the latest smart home apps and hubs including: One of the biggest questions that homeowners have is in regard to how well the ecobee can control humidity. This feature is very useful when you have a special daily routine. The second $100 is my bonus money to spend however I want. Having read all the comments made by users of the Ecobee systems it would appear that Ecobee hasnt refined the sensors for the humidity in the thermostat units. I took OP's mention of "furnace" to mean a natural gas-burning furnace rather than a heat pump, so it wouldn't have a compressor with a heating mode. Heres how it works. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I just saved myself two weekends of work AND gained some brownie points with the kids by making this relatively cheap one-time purchase. Now that you are able to get more out of your ecobee thermostat, learn how to use Home IQ, our powerful, easy-to-use web dashboard, to monitor how much you saved each month and save even more. . Since we launched in 2006, our articles have been read billions of times. A subreddit for ecobee and all their smart home products. 65 degrees Fahrenheit to 78 degrees Fahrenheit is a good range to work in. This really just involves setting high and low temperature warnings . Smart thermostats are an effective way to automate your savings throughout the year, especially during hot summer months. Dont wait until winter to find out the furnace isnt functioning. If youre an average Minnesotan, youre likely spending around $200/month or $2000/year just on heating. While turning off your heat may seem like the fast ticket to energy savings, its important to not take this to the extreme. By default, your Ecobee takes temperature readings from all of its sensors and averages them out to come up with one temperature that it uses in order to decide to heat or cool your house down. Is it better to manually set the thresholds or is it OK to rely on Ecobee's automated algorithms to adjust things based on data from the thermostat? Humidity is only done at the thermostat itself. Additionally, when on vacation should I set a minimum minutes per hour for the fan, or will the ecobee take care of that when it thinks it's necessary? I have a 2-stage Trane and and found these to be the optimal settings: 2 degree stage 1 to stage 2 threshold (stage 2 will fire up immediately if greater than 2 degree difference between indoor temp and set point). Understand how Smart Recovery works for the right temperature, at the right time. So, how do we get in control of our humidity? The ecobee can be connected into a variety of home environment accessories such as dehumidifiers. How low is too low when youre not home? With Comfort Settings, you get schedule recommendations that align with your routine to. Energy savings are calculated relative to a commonly used desired temperature of 72F (22C) and by actively using eco+ features. If you set a fan to be "Always On", it'll quickly cycle fresh air in the room. Just put new furnace in before thanksgiving so just hitting the cold weather now. How Much Would You Save by Changing Your Thermostat Settings? My heat pump can handle it down to 13F. But all that pain disappears with the right thermostat. Are you a sunbathing hot weather all-star? - Smart Home Generation, How To Lock Your Ecobee Thermostat? Another setting to look out for is the ever useful, but much less awesomely named, fan settings. I have 3 ecobee thermostats on 3 very different units both in age and sophistication. Adjust the set points for heat and cool, as well as fan mode as required. Do You HAVE To Use The Kasa App For Your Kasa Devices? But this is totally normal and a sign that Smart Recovery is active. Thats a free plane ticket! ecobee's smart thermostats are ENERGY STARcertified and can save ecobee SmartOwners up to 26% annually on heating and cooling costs. Lets start with the quick overview of the basics. In this video Peter walks us through the advanced settings offered b. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. So, if your home gets too humid, your ecobee will tell the HVAC system that it has temporary permission to increase the chill until the humidity is back under control. The ecobee will first start with the temperature sensor calibrationthis can take up to 20 minutes before you can resume with the thermostat configuration. Now that winter is here I was wondering if there are any user adjustments or tweaks to Ecobee3 Lite settings I should make regarding furnace control. The newest unit is where ecobee shines. So you can give this code only to people who are allowed to adjust the settings. If you can get comfortable at 78 degrees, youll see good savings. Yes, aiming for 72 degrees still puts you in the efficiency zone. Public Mobile $40/15GB, $35/20GB, lot less with rewards. Why reading the news is bad for you Do THIS instead! Setting your desired humidity level is also easy. But when Smart Recovery is working to preheat the home for the next scheduled activity, the heat symbol will be amber even if the setpoint is lower than the temperature displayed on your thermostat. Including multiple sensors in your Comfort Settings helps balance out any hot or cold spots to keep your entire home more comfortable. Some people like it a little more humid, and others like it a little dry. Im Tristan Perry, the guy behind Smart Home Point. Do you see a gaping hole that the wires are coming out of? What Is a PEM File and How Do You Use It? Use your HVAC equipment more efficiently. How To Fix Ecobee Thermostat Not Connecting To HomeKit? It is not associated or belongs to Ecobee but its considered as the most complete remote control for your Ecobee thermostat. It's highly dependent on your system, but I wouldn't enable aux until you need it. To check for wall draft, take the faceplate of your thermostat off the wall. I literally set it and forget it. I think I found the outside temp when my heat pump cant produce enough heat to increase the temp in my house. You can find these settings under Reminders & Alerts in the app and thermostat main menu. Longer, steadier temps are better because your appliances arent working as hard. You can disable this feature by going to the main menu, clicking "Settings" and then "Preferences". 70 F allows your home to be warm, even animals and plants will be in good condition. To also avoid short cycling and increase equipment efficiency, you can go to MENU > SETTINGS > INSTALLATION SETTINGS > THRESHOLDS > HEAT DIFFERENTIAL TEMP > and change this to a higher value so that the system turns on for a bigger temperature drop and reduces short cycling. I dont know if it is properly sized or ducts are smaller since some rooms are colder than others. These smart sensors can, however, measure temperature and occupancy: But because they dont measure humidity, its important to have your ecobee thermostat(s) in a position which have fairly normal levels of humidity. Can Ecobee lower the humidity setting when the outdoor temperture falls below -25C? From here, choose "Heating Smart Recovery" or "Cooling Smart Recovery" and touch the "Disable" option. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Use the ecobee Rebate Finder to search for rebates available in your area. Will this thermostat work with Arcoaire FEM4P1800AL to control/reduce humidity? It will result in adding convenience, increasing comfort, and reducing energy bills. Thanks everyone. Finally, select Schedule in the left-hand column. Tip 7: Use the Ecobee sensors. Cookie Notice How your home is built is another thing to keep in mind. If your settings are so good so far, it might be an issue with how your ecobee is trying to manage your HVAC fan. Heres how to get the most out of your Ecobee smart thermostat. (I know I keep it warmer inside than most people probably do, but we have ceiling fans so that helps it feel cooler!) Dont forget to use the comfort settings offered by the Ecobee thermostat, this will make sure your home is at the right temperature during specific activities in your schedule. From there, choose the start and end times and save it. A great smart thermostat needs to have more than just a bunch of fancy smart features. The top blue-colored one controls the air conditioning. My HP seems to want to run for about 25 minutes then rest for 15, even in 40+ weather. How Accurate is ecobees Humidity Sensor? Regardless, I would make it run longer. Protect your family from break-ins, fires, and rising energy costs with your ecobee Even if you do not have a dedicated dehumidifier, the ecobee smart thermostat can help you better manage your home. How to Fix Amazon Thermostat Reading Wrong Temperature? Just $100 of that extra money can pay for a deep-clean of my house by someone other than me while I took my kids skating for the afternoon. This smart thermostat comes packed with features that handle everything from learning your daily routine to nuanced scheduling options. My Ecobee Keeps saying 71%. At that temperature, we get a lot of window condensation. Also, as a rule, I dont argue with my wife if she changes the temperature. Doing so will help keep your home at an ideal temperature all winter long without causing a spike in your utility bill. For more information, please see our If your equipment seems to be coming on at unexpected times, dont worry this is probably just the Smart Recovery feature preparing your home to be at the optimal temperature for the start of the next scheduled activity, said Dias. Ah, thats an interesting point thanks for flagging that up. Thats just one example, so we recommend checking out the above guide to IFTTT to find out more. For your ecobee, simply drop the temperature a few degrees, and you can send the humidity packing. Your comment will be manually reviewed and approved by Tristan in less than a week. Older homes were built to retain heat more efficiently, and they can also retain humidity much easier as a side effect. Getting too crazy with stopping and starting is actually counterproductive. You might get as much as 3% per degree if your system is ultra-efficient. This setting will also be the percentage that the Overcool Max setting uses to determine when your AC can put in some extra work to fight off the humidity. The ecobee smart thermostat is one of the leading choices when it comes to bringing some elegance to your HVAC system. Compressor Min On Time I would prefer to be higher than 1 minute. Yes, this is the better option during hot days as long as youre adjusting the setting lower for the long chunks of the day when youre not home. Tip: For flexible control, select Main Menu > Device Settings and tap Decide at time of change. And when one of the family members comes back inside those borders, the device turns on the HVAC system to find the best atmosphere when you get home. Bring up the Temperature slider menu by pressing one of the temperature bubbles on the right-hand side of the screen. The ecobee thermostat is accurate within +/- 1.0F according to official documentation. Our thermostats are designed to play nice with leading smart home systems, giving you the flexibility to control your thermostat handsfree, for one seamless experience, said Gaichuk. If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions about this article, please leave a comment below. Depending on the size of your AC, the first 6-10min of each cycle are not very efficient while the coil is getting cold. If so then increasing the cycle temperature might be a good thing. This is how your thermostat works differently when Smart Recovery is active: Under normal operation, the heat icon on your ecobee thermostats main screen will only appear amber when the temperature set on the temperature slider (the setpoint) is higher than the ambient temperature. It will give us much higher temps with much lower humidity. Nuhearas Earbuds Deliver Personalized Audio for $200 Off, 2023 LifeSavvy Media. We always strive to provide you with the best possible experience with our smart thermostats and sensors. Tip 1: Link your Ecobee to a virtual assistant. This is what I have observed on my stats. I noticed they have 1 min run times, is that healthy for the compressor?