Montessori students learn at their own pace through observation, exploration, and experimentation. When I became a foster mother, I started researching different parenting and education ideas. Montessori school is said to be perfect for every child, but every family may not be perfect for Montessori. They long for authentic learning experiences, and Dr. Montessori imagined just that. 3. Did You Know Anxiety Can Enhance Our Relationships? Your child thrives in an atmosphere where they can direct their learning. Enjoys interacting with other kids of different ages. As a family, it is necessary to sit down and discuss your childs needs, what you can afford, and if you feel like you can also promote Montessori ideologies within your own home. What Makes a Montessori Classroom Different? To that end, the emphasis is on allowing children to learn from their own mistakes and to figure out how to do things on their own rather than relying on an adult to tell them. Is Montessori right for my child? - The Montessori Notebook Each child learns at their pace. During the second plane, children become aware of social connections, but in the third plane they are critical. But Montessori believed in these children and decided to experiment with . Each child deserves the time and freedom to grow in all aspects of their being, instead of being forced to focus on rigorous academics for 8 hours each day. Also, these programs tend to be ideal for children easily overwhelmed by noise, chaos, and disorder. Get your child The Hands" And while teachers guide learning, they aren't . Montessori education is more about preparing children to become thoughtful and well-adjusted adults and less about making sure they advance to the next grade or academic level. Nothing beats your own observation and experience. The decision to enroll a child in a particular school should be based on the parents and schools mutual belief that this will be a good fit for the childs personality and learning style, as well as with the familys values and goals. Is Montessori Right for your Child? My child learns best when in an environment that is: 5. Parents must understand what is offered at a Montessori school to make an informed decision about whether it is right for their children. 8. schedule a tour learn more. 10. This is absolutely fine. 3 Many of Montessori's students had never been to school before and were thought to be difficult to teach. As far as the fit for the child, Hewetson believes that Montessori is the way children learn best, but states, "children who have high needs for specialized services can often be better served by schools who have a more robust learning support staff. Research consistently demonstrates a strong connection between parental involvement and overall student achievement. Gifted? by Laura Markham, Montessori and Gifted Children, by The Montessori Observer. This will give you a better understanding of the Montessori classroom so you can decide if it is right for your child.1. Children learn best through hands-on experience, real-world application, and problem-solving. Your child has test or homework anxiety and continually gets behind in conventional school. Instead of stickers or other prizes, the reward a child gets from the Montessori classroom is the self-assuredness that comes from reaching a new level of independence or learning a new skill. Some things you will find in a Montessori classroom include: For those households that are more strict and disciplined, your child may find the freedom and flexibility of guiding their learning to be a foreign concept and difficult at first. It depends on your childtheir age, temperament, interests, abilities, and moreas well as on the specific school. Montessori is right for families with a range of communication styles and learning expectations; however, families who are generally disorganized (arrive late in the morning, pick up children at varying times, and have difficulty reading and responding to school correspondence with consistency), may experience frustration in a Montessori setting. The Journey School: Is Montessori Right for My Child? Here are some of the things we're asked about most often. Previously, during the first plane, a child would be content to focus on their own work while sitting near others. 8. Many Montessori schools offer a year-round program, enabling children to keep the same consistent routine throughout the year without disruption. 1. 9. The Montessori classroom is a great example.A parent whose child may thrive in a Montessori school setting is one who believes in giving their child the freedom to make choices and guide their own learning journey in an environment that fosters imagination and independent thinking.4. There are numerous advantages to placing your child in a Montessori school, especially from a young age, before conventional schools have laid a foundation on goal-oriented success. Teaching and learning method. 17. This will give you a better understanding of the Montessori classroom so you can decide if it is right for your child. Montessori programs are especially good for children who are self-directed, can work independently for extended lengths of time, and work well alone or in small groups. Montessori preschools: What you need to know - Understood It focuses on the whole child not just academics. 1. Is a Montessori school right for your child? Do teachers respond to childrens needs? Laying the groundwork correctly the first time around is critical so that there are not any poor or harmful learned behaviors that will one day get in the way of their development. While each child is different, there are typical patterns that emerge in regards to brain development and general readiness to learn particular skills. This website or its third-party tools use cookies which are necessary to its functioning and required to improve your experience. This means that children will be allowed to explore and experiment inside the classroom, as long as they remain respectful and are engaging in a task that has the opportunity for growth. Joanne Foster and I wrote a chapter on the complex and dynamic issues involved in school choice in Being Smart about Gifted Education. However, Montessori schools that offer elementary grades often stop after age twelve. The types of development that Montessori schools focus on are: Teaching the whole child instead of just the academic aspects of a childs development is the most fundamental aspect of the Montessori method. When Italian educator Maria Montessori opened her first school in 1907, these were radical ideas. There is a place for everything, and everything is generally in its place! Ask to visit during school hours so you can observe how students spend their time. 6. Every family functions differently, and each child will thrive in different environments. Start Quiz . However, it is not clear whether this learning method for students is better than regular schools. For example, she noticed that younger children thrive when they are moving around, continuously working on new things, and allowing their creativity to control the time they remain on one task. This will look different for each child, and that is why it is so important to allow each child to discover what this love is in their way, on their own time. are incorporated into every lesson. Students learn more effectively when school is seen as a safe, exciting, and joyful experience. The family would like to be involved with their childrens school. Intelligence is not rare among human beings. How to know if Montessori is right for your child | Winnie Decentralized. 14. Contact Us Today! Montessori principles are built around helping children form and thrive in natural interests instead of traditional educational principles where learning occurs from prescribed methods. They also focus on teaching organization, strategy, and good habits. Montessori schools mainly focus on the entire child instead of just academics. Teachers rarely teach to the entire class, and children do a lot of self-directed work. We believe learning should be an exciting and joyful experience for childrensomething they choose to do . There is a direct link between childrens sense of self-worth, empowerment, self-mastery, and their ability to learn and retain new skills and information. What is Montessori Parenting - Is This the Best Approach for You? I want my child to be in an environment that: Encourages them to explore their interests, without interruption, Has an external curriculum taught at specific intervals each day. Why your neighborhood school closes for good and what to do when it does, 5 things for Black families to consider when choosing a school. Am open to learning about all methods and want to find one that is the best match for my child, Believe traditional methods are the best option. Carolyn K, at Hoagies Gifted Education Page, discusses the Montessori option in How Can I Choose a School for My Gifted Child. She emphasizes the variability across schools using the Montessori name, and writes that A gifted-friendly Montessori classroom would allow above-grade-level work in any subject, bringing in materials from the next level., Laura Markham, at AHA Parenting, provides a thoughtful discussion of many of the important criteria for parents to consider in her article, Choosing Preschool: Montessori vs. The Montessori approach is child-centered encouraging children to be independent and learn at their own pace. This is achieved by creating a consistent pathway for learning that begins as early as infancy and carries through to elementary education and even beyond. the Montessori classroom is not. In the Montessori school, play is a child's work, says Wana. Find a school that you love, and once you do, remember the old adage: It is not a good idea to try fix something that is already working. Some parents try different schools out for a year or two, and then move on to another. 16. School decision-making is all about individual differences, both across schools, and across children and families. If you are interested in learning more about Montessori education and its unique benefits, we encourage you to schedule a tour or visit our blog to learn more. The most important outcome for my child is to: Be prepared to achieve in elementary school and beyond, Be a happy, well-adjusted, and self-motivated human being. Montessori high schools are scarce in our country because of a lack of interest. Free 44-page PDF of Montessori activities for babies, toddlers and preschoolers, 3. How can I determine if Montessori is right for my child. Second, because quieter environments have been shown to foster quality learning, Montessori students are encouraged to speak softly with each other and with their teachers. The 12 Best Montessori Activities For 3-Year-Olds. Some do, and some dont. I am choosing a school to:Prepare my child for a traditional kindergartenPrepare my child academically, socially, and emotionally for school and lifeMontessori education is more about preparing children to become thoughtful and well-adjusted adults and less about making sure they advance to the next grade or academic level.