The Model 37 pictured is a late-production 30 " -barreled, 12-ga. example that is unmodified and appears to be unfired. This allows the shoot. Sometimes this inertial force is sufficient to set off the primer, thereby firing the round without the operator pulling the trigger. VENT RIB. Receiver and bore are in excellent condition. The Model 37 was a big success and went on to have the longest production run of any pump-action shotgun, surpassing that of the Winchester Model 12 which had inspired the 37s very existence. The second sear is the small projection on the right side of the hammer. It also jammed right out of the box and for the same reason : Problem : When the gun is fired and the spent casing is expelled, two more rounds slide out of the mag at the same time. CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE.CK OU, Excellent plus overall condition. Stocks and fore-ends have laser-cut checkering and a nice red/brown stain, which brings out the grain of the fancy walnut. There is significant collector interest in some of the above models, especially the high-grade presentation and military-marked tactical guns. By signing up you agree to Guns.com's Generation after generation, the pump-action remains a favorite scattergun for a variety of reasons. A spring then forces the bolt forward again, and in the process a fresh round is stripped out of the magazine. . Very good plus overall condition, a few light abrasions. Free Shipping, No Credit Card Fees. Browning sold this patent to Remington, and the plan was to put the new gun on the market in 1917 as the Model 17. Regular M37 serial numbers apply within this range. Has ven, ITHACA MODEL 37 ULTRA FEATHERLIGHT 20 GAUGE 20GA. Barrel Choke: Cylinder Choke .730. Bluing is overall in great condition. The cutoff date on that is around 1975. The M&P Model served our troops well in World War II, the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam War. The late Jerry Lee served for many years as an editor with the Petersen Publishing group, covering titles such as. Several big-city police departments, including New York City and Los Angeles, issued the 12-gauge, 20-inch barrel Military & Police Model to patrol units for many years. They will pump-fire just like the Ithaca Model 37. MADE IN ITHACA NEW YORK BLUE AND METAL EXCELLENT WOOD HAS JUST A FEW LIGHT HANDLING MARKS ON BUTT STOCK MECHANICS PERFECT. Solid gun. $375 USD. Gold bead front sight. GOOD WOOD, EXCELLENT BORE. General Recreation again filed for bankruptcy in 1985. One was the slab sided, bottom ejecting receiver. Chamber marked 2 3/4", choke marked improved cylinder, 14" LOP. If you scroll down below the video, I will place a description of the shotgun showcased. They were intrigued with Remingtons Model 17 and wanted to produce a similar gun. Has slam fire feature. The Model 37 was issued by the LAPD beginning in the 1940s and remained in service until the late 1990s. SOLD FOR: $1385. All 3 have the slam fire feature. 3% Credit Card Processing Fee will apply. The per-unit cost was $36.61, which included a cleaning rod and web sling. WOOD AND METAL EXCELLENT. I have done it and it is fun but I have never found it of any real use. He did not consider it of any fundamental importance and thus it was not included in his detailed publications. it is clear that this exceptional example has spent the last nearly 65 yrs in a closet. *** Approximately 67 King Ferry Models were made. With a 2 3/4 in chamber it has a fixed Cyl. K-Mart Classics: Remingtons Nylon Rimfires Engineered To Last. Very nice Quality. With the depression dragging on and another war looming on the horizon, it was possibly the worst time to introduce a sporting arm. Choke. Get 12 Issues a year of the country's best firearms writing. Learn how and when to remove this template message, "An Official Journal of the NRA | A Look Back at the Ithaca Model 37 Shotgun", "The Ithaca Model 37 In U.S. Military Service", "Evolution of shotguns in the Marine Corps", "Vintage LAPD Ithaca M37 Shotgun Lottery", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ithaca_37&oldid=1137452851. 2018. 12 Gauge pump action shotgun with 20" barrel, full length mag tube, pistol grip, sling swivels and folding stock. It probably came about because they were going to law enforcement and military, but that is conjecture. The Ithaca Model 37 is one of the greatest shotguns ever made, light fast handling, all machined parts, no plastic or stamped parts. It's a "newer" "old" 37 with a SN of MAG - 870042xxx and it did come without the two carrier screw locking screws. JavaScript is disabled. Chamber marked 2 3/4", choke marked improved cylinder, and 13 1/2" LOP. ITHACA MODEL 37 DEERSLAYER 12GA BARREL LENGTH 20 INCH OVER ALL METAL AND WOOD RATES 97% MECHANICS PERFECT. Thanks! When the face of the bolt hits the head of the chamber, unless there is a spring around the pin to retard its movement, inertia causes the firing pin to continue forward until it is stopped on the primer of the round. As an addendum to my previous opinion, I have now got a copy of the 1942 US army ww2 shotgun handbook ref. The new value of an ITHACA 37 shotgun has risen $138.11 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $1,117.44 . He worked his way up to become president of the company and later was mayor of the city of Ithaca, New York. Make: Ithaca. On most models up to 1975, a second sear was installed that would drop the hammer as soon the gun went into battery if the trigger was in a depressed condition. In the current catalog, you will find the Featherlight, Defense Gun, Deerslayer II, Deerslayer III, Turkey Slayer, Waterfowl, Trap Model, Womens Stock and 28 Gauge. It features bottom ejection pump action, engraved receiver, 4 round magazine tube, plain barrel with modified c, Ithaca model 37 20 gauge Featherweight . $895 and FREE SHIPPING to your FFL in the l, Excellent overall condition, a few light handling marks. Thus, holding the trigger down allowed the gun to fire the instant a new round is cycled into the chamber without requiring the trigger to be released; this feature was called "slam-fire". I have one made in 1975 that is a 20ga and another made in 1977 coming in 12 ga. I first found this out rabbit hunting when I was a kid. Pump action 16 gauge with 26" ribbed barrel, 2 3/4" chamber, improved cylinder choke, and factory recoil pad. The used value of an ITHACA GUN COMPANY 37 DS POLICE SPECIAL shotgun has fallen $0.00 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $1,060.27 . Barrel has some discoloration. Model: 37 Featherlight. From the information that I have read, all of the gun companies started putting disconnecters on the trigger groups of pumps in 1975 by request of the ATF. John Browning used to work for Winchester and they designed the first auto rifles. The slide release is pressed and the slide retracted completely then pushed forward. Pulling the trigger fires the gun and releases the slide for reloading. Thanks Donald. This pump-action, bottom-ejecting shotgun is available in a number of configurations. 12 GA PUMP ACTION 3 ROUNDS 19 BARREL. Every cowboy needs a revolver. I've only done this on target loads. According to an article by the Ithaca Times dated June 11, 2003, the one-millionth Model 37 was produced in 1968; and as of 2003, more than 2,000,000 Model 37s have been produced. The Model 87 data came from the serial number records of the Ithaca Acquisition Corporation. still not convinced slam fire was military driven. Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 12 Gauge Shotgun. $35.00 shipping. I understand they eventually "fixed" the slam fire feature and I'm wondering if there's anyway to tell. Each stock has a black Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. I do know the 1975 will slam fire not sure about the 1977 yr or model. ITHACA MODEL 37 FEATHERLIGHT. The decision was made to wait until the patent for the Model 17 expired in 1933, at which time Ithaca would introduce a new bottom-ejection slide-action to be known as the Model 33. In 1975, Ithaca discontinued this feature on most of their model 37s by installing a trigger disconnector. Classic Browning Light Twelve Auto-5 Review: Busting Clays With the Old Humpback Shotgun. Much of the data presented for the Model 37 guns came from microfilm copies of Ithaca shipping records on file at the National Tracing Offices of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and from microfiche copies of invoices from the 1980 era that were found at the Ithaca factory. Theyre very smooth, dependable, and durable firearms, Ithaca 37 Featherlight 16 gauge 2 3/4" shells 28" barrel shotgun made in 1970. There is no evidence that we can find of ever, Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight in 12 guage with2 3/4" chamber, 28" barrel and modified choke. 3% charge on credit card purchase. 2018. The Dawn Of The Pump That first successful pump-gun was the Winchester Model 1897, which was an improved variant of the Model 1893. Description. So how far back does the "extra sear" design go? . What you want it do do, fire when the action is closed and the trigger is depressed, will only happen if the gun is old enough to not have a disconnector. The Best Gun Going) Gauge: 12, chambered for 2 3/4" Shells. Ithaca Model 37 serial numbers/dates of manufacture, Re: Ithaca Model 37 serial numbers/dates of manufacture, Powered by UBB.threads PHP Forum Software 7.7.5. My son sent his back to Ithaca and got it back without any explanation or improved results. The Model 37 was used by the United States Armed Forces in World War II,[5] the Korean War, and especially the Vietnam War, where it gained a great reputation for reliability in the jungles of Vietnam when generally used by special and special operations forces like the Navy SEALs[6] and Army Green Berets. "The Ithaca Model 37 Defense Gun Eight Shot 3-inch 12 Gauge is the high-capacity 20-inch-barrel model, able to hold seven shells in the magazine plus one in the chamber. NY: Avon Books, 1995. Nobody builds on model 12s because parts are getting scarce and you need to really understand them when tweaking them. The management at Ithaca wanted to give the Model 12 some competition. This pump-action, bottom-ejecting shotgun is available in a number of configurations. WANT TO PURCHASE CALL SHOP 716-941-3946, ITHACA MODEL 37 PUMP 16GA PLAIN BARREL CHOKE FULL BRASS BEAD FRONT SIGHT DATES ABOUT 1953 SERIAL NUMBER 528135 RECEIVER AND BARREL MATCHING SERIAL NUMBERS. vent rib barrel with 4 choke tubes and wr, ITHACA MODEL 8700 12GA 3 INCH MAG DEERSLAYER RIFLED BORE. A Colorado company, Baldritch & Associates, bought Ithaca in 1967. During World War II, the government contracted with Ithaca to produced 1911A1 pistols, and at one time the company was making more than 2,000 pistols per day. Here's what it's like to shoot this classic scattergun. Serial Number: 371659823. Model: 37 Featherlight. Finally, in 1937 Ithaca was able to bring the Model 37 to the market. Interesting that I have one whose number, 37135XXXX, is not on the list. I just found the serial number page when I was attempting to establish the year of manufacture for my own 37. Year Designed: 1933 Manufacturers: Ithaca Gun Company and Industrias Marcati (unlicensed clone from Argentina). Pump action 16 gauge with 26" ribbed barrel, 2 3/4" chamber, improved cylinder choke, and factory recoil pad. Both shotguns have exactly the same malfunction right out of the box. REDFIELD SCOPE INCLUDED. More than 300,000 of the .45-caliber guns were made by Ithaca during the war. This shotgun, re-introduced in 1987, will fire upon closing the action. There is so much wrong with that guy's gun handling, I don't even know where to begin. Barrel lengths for 12-, 16- and 20-gauge guns are 26, 28 or 30 inches, and for the 28 gauge, 26 or 28 inches, all with lengthened forcing cones for better patterns and reduced recoil. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The "slamfiring" is done with a second sear in the trigger group. The 37s that were at the competitions NEVER worked under the restraints required by the times in order to be competitive. AN ITHACA GUN COMPANY 37 DS POLICE SPECIAL shotgun is currently worth an average price of $1,060.27 used . Thanks B, just looked up my dad's, which was originally grandpa's, and it's a 1951 version. At one time, the Ithaca 37 was renamed the Model 87, although it was soon changed back in one of many ownership changes. This is not always a good thing, especially with an inexperienced shooter. This Shotgun is in Very good condition with some signs of wear present. It will not slam fire. 1905 (32 and 35 cal) 1907 (351 cal) 1910 401 (cal) Then Browning had a tiff over Winchester wanting to make an auto shotgun and told Winchester that he held the patents on the design and left the company to start his own. Model 12s also are drawing premium prices. Ithaca triggers. My older Ithaca is capable of slamfiring. The first new shell lands onto the guide arms like it should. An LGS has a 37 for $250. An LGS has a 37 for $250. More than two million Model 37s have been produced over its 80-year history. Very interesting stuff Jaguar, you seem to know these guns very well. This means the gun would fire as fast as the. barrel is modi, Excellent condition, light wear and handling marks. I have 3 Model 37s. Lay-a-, The Ithaca Model 37 is one of the original classic shotguns along with the Remington Models 31, and 870, and the Winchester Models 1897 and 1912. Its popularity is widespread with all types of shooters and for any shotgunning applications, including hunting, competitive shooting, self-defense, law enforcement and the military. . Lay-, Metal surfaces rate near excellent, light handling marks to wood. . Classic Guns: The Ithaca Model 37 Shotgun, Ballistics Basics: Bullet Efficiency And Ballistic Coefficients, New Rifle: Smith & Wessons Economical M&P10 Sport, Colt Single Action Army Clones And Replicas Vs. Originals, 8 On-Target Concealed Carry Insurance Options (2022), 10 Affordable Double-Barrel Shotgun Options (2022), Best AR-15 Options For Any Budget And Buyers Guide (2022), Best Concealed Carry Handguns For Women (2022). In semi- or fully automatic firearms this can potentially cause the firearm to fire continuously until the magazine has been emptied. Chambered in 12 and later 20 ga, the 37 had a few interesting facets of its design that made it somewhat unique. The demand of new ITHACA GUN COMPANY 37 DS POLICE . Ithaca likes to make it clear that every part is made and assembled in the U.S.A. Another feature of todays Model 37 is that no soldering or brazing is used in the manufacture of the barrel. 1. Ithaca Model 37 Slam fire * 12 Ga * 2 3/4 chamber * Barrel length 26" * Front bead sight * No interstate sales tax This Ithaca is in used condition, The finish is worn is a few places. The Winchester 1897 and Ithaca 37 actions are way more complicated and expensive to manufacture than the 870 and 500. 1942 per the page above. Ive owned quite a few shotguns over the years over/unders, side-by-sides, autoloaders and pumps. This shotgun is in great shape and shoots very nice. It has a 28-inch ventilated rib barrel. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. I'm no authority. Suggested retail prices start at $784 for the Home Defense models, $895 for the standard hunting models, $1,020 for the trap guns, $1,145 for 28 gauges, and $1,150 to $1,350 for the Deerslayer models, depending on features. (hold the trigger down, keep pumping the action and it will fire multiple times) I've only done this a couple times just for fun. This means that if you hold the trigger down while cycling the action, the weapon will fire as soon as the slide reaches the full forward limit of travel, without need for releasing and pulling the trigger for each shot. The next pump gun to give both the Model 12 and the 97 serious competition was the Ithaca Model 37. Year of Manufacture: . The other thing is simply there are stronger systems out there. The regular Model 87 serial number also appears on the receiver. Many shooters prefer the sighting plane of a single-barrel shotgun. Sign up for our daily email and get the stories everyone is talking about. The old Model 12 Winchesters and early Ithaca Model 37's Pump shotguns had no disconnector , so if you fired the first shot and held the trigger back, when you pumped another round in it would fire a. With all of the moving parts needed to make a 97 work properly, I can't imagine it was an accident. mod choked. This is the aluminum receiver model with the checkered English straight Grip Stock, Guns Listing ID: 697407Ithaca model 37 Featherlight12 ga pump action.30\" plain barrel full chokesuper nice woodnice overall condition, Another great item from Gainesville Pawn! This feature gave the gun a solid receiver that protected it from the elements and prevented twigs or other debris from getting into the action. A slamfire is a premature, usually unintended discharge of a firearm that occurs as a cartridge is being loaded into the chamber. May 16, 2012, 09:43 PM . After loading the shells into the magazine and pressing the slide release located in the forward part of the trigger guard, rack the slide and push it forward, loading the chamber. Stay in the know. Ithaca changed back to calling these Model 37's after a relatively short time marketing the '87s. All rights reserved, copyrighted, no material within this document may be copied or distributed in any way without the express written permission of the author, Walter Claude Snyder. You have entered an incorrect email address! $75 for insured shipping Layaway available No sales or shipping to California, Hawaii, Ne, SALE PENDING JOEY D. 11/24/22 Used only by a little old lady on her way home from Church!We'll not quite but in exceptional hardly used condtion for a 73 yr old shotgun. Standard dimensions are a 1.5-inch drop at comb, 2.25-inch at heel and a 14.25-inch length of pull, reduced to 14 inches for the 28 gauge. And its a safety concern with some shooters. This is not John Waynes revolver it is a modern work of art! Wood is in very good condition. It was based on a 1915 patent by the famous John M. Br. Cond. It should come as no surprise to a reader of this publication that both designs came directly from the fertile mind of John M. Browning. A shot in the dark, so to speak, perhaps to achieve, with a manual action, (known reliability) parity in respect of rates of fire with the emerging self- loaders..? His website is:www.diamondgunsmithing.com and phone is 607-273-4510. The Ithaca Model 37, now that's a piece of advanced weaponry. Made in many different models, the Ithaca 37 has the longest production run for a pump-action shotgun in history, surpassing that of the Winchester Model 12, the original inspiration for Ithaca's entry into the market. Firing the gun by pulling the trigger releases the fore-end slide so it can be pulled to the rear to eject the spent shell and then pushed forward to quickly load another round into the chamber. The Ithaca Model 37 has had the longest production run of any pump-action shotgun. Ithaca Model 37 serial numbers/dates of manufacture - 24hourcampfire Previous Thread Next Thread Print Thread Hop To BP-B2 IC B2 IC B3 CTV Who's Online Now 742 members ( 160user, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 1234, 84 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 1,514 robots. It was made in several variations, including a riot-gun model with a 20-inch barrel that became popular with many law enforcement agencies. Firearms dont get much more iconic than John Moses Brownings legendary Auto-5 semi-auto shotgun, affectionately called the Humpback for its distinctive drop at the rear of the receiver. In the case of the Ithaca Model 37 shotgun, if you hold the trigger down while you continue to rack the weapon, it will fire without you having to let go of the trigger. Since the loading port for the magazine was at the bottom of the receiver and the spent shells ejected from the same location, the design appealed to both right- and left-handed shooters. Copyright 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. The second sear (if present) is part of the slide release and it release's he hammer if the trigger is held back. The recoil-operated autos are cleaner but some, especially the older long-recoil designs, have more of a kick than either the gas guns or pumps. Ithaca Gun Company warrants to you, the original purchaser, that this firearm was manufactured free of defects in material or workmanship; and for a period of one (1) year after the date of purchase, the manufacturer agrees to correct by repair or replacement (with same or comparable quality model) your firearm. He was Ithaca's head gunsmith for years before he retired. Come's with an extra barrel cut to 18 5/8" and ported. However, plans changed when Ithaca became aware of a patent obtained by designer John Pedersen for an improved version of the Remington Model 17, which was due to expire in 1936. In my safe I still have my 20-gauge Model 37 from 1960, which was my first shotgun and is still my favorite. Double check on this, but suggest you add a note for 1962 that Ithaca started with truly replace/switch barrels at # 855,000. I think it started with an 8, Scan this QR code to download the app now. Other than the name change, it was the same gun. i have read that models after 1977 can not be slam fired. in sandusky OH. Les Hovencamp www.diamondgunsmithing.com Z Zbigniew Registered Joined Mar 12, 2016 5,492 Posts Out of stock. This was free of charge and, while exact numbers arent available, many Model 1893 owners took advantage of the offer. It's a pump-action shotgun that features a unique "slam-fire" capability. The Ithaca Model 37 has had the longest production run of any pump-action shotgun. One of their classics was the John Browning-designed Model 37 shotgun introduced just before World War II. Ithaca 37 Featherlight Slide Shotgun 12ga, Ithaca 37 Featherlight 16ga 2 3/4" Shells 28"bbl Shotgun W/ Scope MFG 1970, Ithaca 37 Featherweight Slide Shotgun 12ga, Ithaca 37 Featherlight Deerslayer Slide Shotgun 20ga, Ithaca Model 37 Defense 12ga. Many sporting arms ceased production entirely during the same period. Action: Manual Pump, Bottom Load & Ejection. All Rights Reserved, Slam fire memories with the Ithaca M37 pumpgun (VIDEO). That may make a difference to a buyer who wants differing choke selections for these fine pump guns. ITHACA MODEL 37 ULTRA FEATHERLIGHT 20 GAUGE 20GA. He had patented a pump shotgun in 1915 that was somewhat radical because its ejection and loading port was located beneath the receiver. Ithaca model 37 feather light. When it happens you can see how some of the old quail hunters around here used to think that pumps were faster than semi autos. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. 3" chamber ,satin wood and metal. barrel, J-frame, blue finish, barrels a. And here I thought it was probably contracted by the CIA for some black op. If the trigger is held back the hammer will follow the bolt forward as it closes. Used. West Islip, New York. A total of 22,000 of these Model 37 shotguns was delivered to the Saigon government between Nov. 14, 1962 and Jan. 31, 1963. The 28-gauge guns are built on a smaller receiver, which gives the model the easy handling and trim appearance one would expect for the gauge. with seldom seen 28 in. The Rise Of The Model 37 Meanwhile, the Ithaca Gun Company wanted to get into the slide-action shotgun business. The Inland M 37 is based on the original Ithaca Model 37 Trench Gun which was a variation of the Browning Model 17 and features the following: Gauge: .12 gauge / 3" Chamber. The demand of new ITHACA 37 shotgun's has risen 12 units . Factory Vent Rib. the big difference is that slam-fire version is fully auto, less accurate, and only has the illusion of slam-firing. Some shooters prefer the manually-operated pump because they want to be more in control of the guns operation. Fire a pump gun and the chamber isnt reloaded until you rack the slide. Fire an autoloader and, if theres ammo in the magazine, you instantly have another round in the chamber ready to go with your finger on the trigger. * Some M&P guns were built from unused Ducks Unlimited Trade Model receivers and had a DU serial number. My Ithacas will slam fire as well. Gas-operated actions are dirtier due to the burnt powder that accumulates and they generally require more maintenance and cleaning.