Nine years ago, when I turned 21, I was a student at the University of Missouri in Columbia. She was a substitute hostess on the 19741976 daytime edition of High Rollers. Petticoat Junction was such as instant hit that it finished fifth in the Nielsen ratings the first time it aired. It was a spin off of the popular TV show, The Beverly Hillbillies. Linda Kaye Henning was born on the 16th September 1944, in Los Angeles, California USA, and is an actress, best known to the world as Betty Jo Bradley in the Read More WHAT'S POPULAR TODAY When lines hunglimp and bare. To neighbors passing by. Try again later. There was a method to it and I had to learn the way exactly as Mom taught me how. Inspired in part by memories of camping trips to the Ozarks as a Boy Scout, Henning came up with a fish-out-of-water idea for a series that made television history: A poor mountaineer unexpectedly strikes oil and moves his newly wealthy family out of a cabin in the Ozarks into a mansion in the hills of Beverly. Mom had shown me just how to take the clothes pins and pin the next piece together with the one hanging already hanging there so there would be a continuous line until every thing was pinned on the line. . Wash dayon a Monday..never hang clothes on the weekend or Sunday for heaven's sake! That meant that Arthur had to go open the doors at the store,Marie was to tidy up the house and change the sheets on the bed, Davidwas to split the wood to make the fire under the important old black kettle out in the yard to heat the water to start the wash (photo 23), and then my chore was to get our 88 year old grandpa up. In Ruths words: My grandparents, Willis and Martha Burris had this hotel in Eldon, Missouri. Ruth was the mother of three children Carol Alice, actress Linda Kay Henning, and Paul Anthony Henning. When Ruth went to Chicago to find bigger acting roles in 1937, she heard about an opening for a writer on Fibber McGee and Molly. Henning submitted a treatment for an episode and was hired. English For you non-southerners -wrench means rinse. And when we got home, the telephone would start ringing and the boys would be wanting a date with one of the city girls. As a teenager, he worked as a soda jerk at a drugstore, where one of his regular customers, future President Harry S. Truman, advised him to go to law school. Their friends quickly became her friends too, but she rarely tried to live her daughters' lives - only share them. After appearing in an uncredited role as one of the dancers in Bye Bye Birdie (1963), she landed the role of Betty Jo on Petticoat Junction (1963), on which she remained for its entire seven-year run -- . I gave him his bath from head to toe, and he just stood there quietly not giving me any back talk for he knew he had to have a bath and get clean clothes on to be ready to start the new week. After letting them set then I ironed them. This account already exists, but the email address still needs to be confirmed. Writing proved the more lucrative of the two, so he abandoned singing in order to write for series like Fibber McGee & Molly and The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, and later TV series like The Dennis Day Show, The Real McCoys, and The Andy Griffith Show. The latter two shows were set in the small town of Hooterville and Petticoat had, particularly its later seasons, frequent crossovers with Hillbillies. Here is a photo of Dewey and Charley at work (photo 05): Of course, since the Autogram article was written, both Paul Henning and his wife, Ruth, have passed away and both are buried in the old Burris part of the cemetery in Tuscumbia. Edit a memorial you manage or suggest changes to the memorial manager. He died the next day at Good Samaritan Hospital. He was very much an Everyman throughout his life, and I think thats why people enjoyed being around him so much.. He was born and reared on the farm and followed farming until three years ago. Why Netflix is dabbling in livestreaming, Stranger Things play that may hold key to the end taking 1959 Hawkins to West End, NBCs Chicago series have strong showings but CBS wins weekly TV ratings race. To add a flower, click the Leave a Flower button. If you lived on a farm and butchered your own hogs you always had pieces of fat left overwhich wasn't used for eating except for 'cracklings'; and the rest was rendered to get the fat off the pieces that could not be used to eat. Willis operated a livery stable and also worked as a rural mail carrier. He married Ruth Barth in 1939 and the couple had three children: Linda Kaye Henning, on whom Paul partially based the character of Elly May Clampett; Carol Alice Henning; and Paul Anthony Henning. Paul William Henning (September 16, 1911 - March 25, 2005) was an American TV producer and screenwriter. Thought you might enjoy reading about them. However, the kids ranged all the way from a baby up to somewhat older and as far as I can remember none of us helped her. If you have questions, please contact [emailprotected]. Her husband, Paul Henning, lived until 2005 and was also brought back to Miller County for burial. BY ANCESTRY.COM. But I had to take a rag and clean the line first. Author Kurt Andersen described Henning as "the Eli Whitney of American television production."[1]. Do you remember? The series ran from 1963 to 1970. When Benjamin and Alice (Burris) Barth died, they were brought back home and buried in the Burris family cemetery plot in the Tuscumbia Cemetery. Henning was born and grew up on a farm in Independence, Missouri. All three programs were popular, achieving major ratings success during most of their runs. Last edited on 22 February 2023, at 14:50, Learn how and when to remove this template message, "Ruth and Paul Henning Conservation Area Branson, Missouri", The Interviews: An Oral History of Television, Paul Henning Museum of Broadcast Communications Biography, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Paul_Henning&oldid=1140938297, This page was last edited on 22 February 2023, at 14:50. Get it going, and so, somehow or other, Paul got the pilot written, and I think he wrote about the first five shows, and then he hired some other writers., Shortly before the shows debut, Paul held a press conference in his New York hotel suite. This browser does not support getting your location. Share memories and family stories, photos, or ask questions. Peggy Hake sent me this interesting email which is about the way women used to wash dirty clothes long ago before washing machines were ever invented: Joe, Mom had me make the starch by mixing flour and cold water and stirring it after which I added hot water and cooked it until it thickened. He passed away on March 25, 2005 in Burbank, California, USA. 2. 1 pile a work britches and rags. On Sept. 12, 1927, she and Mr. Burris celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary. Biographies are our place to remember and discover more about the people important to us. When you share, or just show that you care, the heart My mother was the oldest of five sisters, and all of them had girls, and we all went there for our summer vacations, and we really looked forward to it. becomes full The show ran for seven years, remaining popular with audiences through several cast changes. The clothes line.adead give away. Charley McDowell and his workmen of Lake Ozark did the work under the supervision of Kallenbach. Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don't boil just wrench and starch. She appeared in numerous musicals, including High Button Shoes, Brigadoon and The Sound of Music. B. Barth and Mrs. L. M. Jones of Kansas City, Mrs. B. C. Graham of St. Louis, Mrs. H. E. Weatherholt and Mrs. F. S. Hunter of Eldon, her sons, Dr. Otis E. Burris of Ponca City, L. R. Burris of Eldon, and Dr. Wallace Burris of Bixby, Okla. This memorial has been copied to your clipboard. In 1965, this was followed by Green Acres, of which Henning was only the casting director and executive producer. They were good country people, and everybody was very friendly.. All three programs were popular, but changing times led their parent network, CBS to look down on the so-called "ruralcoms" and move in a more "adult", sophisticated direction with series such as All in the Family and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Well, that's a whole other subject. To folks who lived inside In 1968, a year after Henning's screen marriage to Mike Minor's character in Petticoat Junction, the couple married in real life. The soap would vary in color, all the way from light to dark, and that depended on whether your grease had been saved from cooking or if your grease you used was fresh lard. Well, now that gets us started off for everybody was now in their place and the big chore was started. Henning was also the creator, writer, and producer of The Bob Cummings Show, where he met many of the actors who appeared in his later series. They were punched around every once in awhile with an agitator to be sure and get all the parts soaked (photo 25). Petticoat Junction! GREAT NEWS! Her sisters are Mrs. T. B. Bliss of Tulsa, Okla. and Mrs. H. W. Sandford of Tulsa, Okla. See What AncientFaces Does to discover more about the community. The series aimed low and hit its target, wrote UPIs Rick DuBrow. The Hennings daughter, Linda Kaye Henning, played the part of Betty Jo. They divorced in 1973. She has two siblings, Carol Alice Henning, and Paul Anthony Henning. Note: Click HERE to listen to the theme song in the MP3 format. Thus, in 1971, The Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres were canceled as a result of the rural purge, joining Petticoat Junction (which ended the year before) in syndicated reruns. It played a big partin our weekly chore of washing our dirty clothes. We lived in New York when I was a child, thousands of miles from Missouri. They were survived by 3 children: Carol Alice Henning, Linda Kaye Henning, and Paul Anthony Henning. First Mom got every one out of bed; no lying in bed and coming downstairsfor breakfast one by one (although the younger ones were excused from washing). Please complete the captcha to let us know you are a real person. Never thought of a 'washer' in this light before..what a blessing! As I was pretty young when I took over my place in the big job of the weekly wash, I had to learn all this over time and not in one lesson. She provided the voice of Jethrine Bodine in The Beverly Hillbillies. Do the kids today even knowwhat a clothes line is? For my part when I became of age which I think was around ten years old I had my special chores to do for the washing. As brand new infant clothes were hung Paul H. Henning. Oma and Harry had two daughters: Willis Ann Weatherholt and Audrey Joan Weatherhold. This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook - withspelling errorsand all. Drag images here or select from your computer for Ruth Margaret Barth Henning memorial. There are 20+ professionals named "Anthony Henning", who use LinkedIn to exchange information, ideas, and opportunities. My grandmother loved having a home, fixing it up, keeping it clean and full of love. We would feast on the best potato salad I've ever tasted, my grandfather's special biscuits and apple butter, lots of ham and chicken and Martha's German Chocolate Cake. Please try again later. Henning retired to Toluca Lake, California, dying in a Burbank hospital on March 25, 2005, aged 93. Mrs. Burris has lived in Eldon twenty two years and was a member of the Baptist Church here. You can imagine how grateful all the women were when we could graduate from the way we had been doing them. She was a judging woman - she knew what was right and disliked what was wrong. Im not sure where she got it but here it is: The Clothes Line He called it cross-pollination, said Stephen Cox, author of the 1988 retrospective book The Beverly Hillbillies., Unlike some of the eras other TV moguls, Cox said, Henning had such an incredible down-home, approachable manner that you really knew you were meeting someone from Missouri. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, Chris Rock slaps back at Will Smith in live Netflix special Selective Outrage. Willis and Martha had lived in the Osage River country near Tuscumbia for a number of years but decided to move to Saline Township after their children were older. [4][5] The site is monitored by the Missouri Department of Conservation. Paul joined her 3 years later on March 25, 2005. Lived In Jackson TN, Norfolk VA. Related To Juanita Henning. To spend a night or two.