2023 Cable News Network. A would-be singing star, he found success in Hollywood playing a variety of roles, but they were often quiet, dangerous men, like Paulie Cicero in Goodfellas.. What does the man have to do? There are 4 grandkids of Paul Sorvino. Turn on desktop notifications for breaking stories about interest? In 2008s Repo! Paul Sorvino Dead: 'Goodfellas,' Law & Order' Actor Was 83 - The Sorry! There was an error deleting this problem. Mira wrote in a first tweet. He worked with seven Oscar-winning directors: Passed away in the same month, just 19 days after his. The email does not appear to be a valid email address. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Her mom, who quit acting to raise a family that included Mira's younger siblings Michael and Amanda, went on to provide drama therapy to Alzheimer's patients. The actor was afforded the rare chance to play a romantic lead in the 1978 film Slow Dancing in the Big City, directed by John Avildsen right after he helmed Rocky, but the story of a newspaper columnist whos a big lug (but one whos famous around New York) whos paired with a dying dancer played by Anne Ditchburn was definitively sunk by a sentimental script. By Daniella Segell. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/242005161/paul-anthony-sorvino. 2023 Getty Images. All registered. He died at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida. Acting jobs were elusive. He was born to his parents onMay 29, 2006, in Los Angeles, California, United States. Mattea Angel Backus is the eldest grandchild of the actor. The love of my life & the most wonderful man who has ever lived is gone. Find where to watch Paul Sorvino's latest movies and tv shows . Mira Sorvino, Paul Sorvino's daughter, mourns 'Goodfellas' star: 'He Updated Dee Dee and Paul never had kids of their own, but Sorvino had three children from his former relationship named Mira, Michael, and Amanda. Paul Sorvino has died from natural causes, according to his representative. Members of her family, including her actor brother Michael Sorvino, sit together in one of the restaurant's famous red banquettes, underneath the patriarch's caricature. They all share the same parents Mira Sorvino and her husband Christopher Backus. He wrote a best-selling book entitled "How to Become a Former Asthmatic". Read More About: Al Pacino Bruce Willis Carl Reiner Chris Noth Claire Danes Ellen Burstyn James Caan Law & Order. Paul Sorvino, known for his role in "Goodfellas," has died at 83, Fox News Digital can confirm. ", "I have huge compassion for all who have lost parents," Mira said in another tweet. Mira Sorvino Mourns 'Most Wonderful Father' Paul Sorvino's Death He is perhaps most remembered for playing Paul Cicero in "Goodfellas," which was released in 1990. Paul Sorvino found out in January 2018 that Harvey Weinstein allegedly physically harassed his girlfriend Mira and then blacklisted her in the entertainment industry after she turned down Weinstein's sexual requests. The actor died Monday morning with his wife Dee Dee Sorvino by his side. Paul died with his wife Dee Dee Sorvino by his side, according to a release sent on behalf of the family, which noted that he "had dealt with health issues over the past few years.". He was Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, complete with German accent, in Oliver Stones Nixon (1995). His mother, Angela (Renzi), was a piano teacher, of Italian descent. Share this memorial using social media sites or email. She is the daughter of Lorraine Davis, an actress turned drama therapist, and veteran character actor Paul Sorvino. We have set your language to Variety is a part of Penske Media Corporation. In the late 1950s, he began performing at Catskills resorts and charity events. Your effort and contribution in providing this feedback is much In 1986 he guested on Moonlighting, playing the father of Bruce Willis David Addison. Paul Anthony Sorvino was born on April 13, 1939, in Brooklyn, the youngest of three sons of Fortunato Sorvino, known as Ford, and Marietta (Renzi) Sorvino, a homemaker and piano teacher. The actor passed away on Monday of natural causes at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida. Lorraine and Sorvino divorced in 1988, and Sorvino married Vanessa Arico in 1991. Because if not, he has to meet me, and I will kill the [expletive deleted] real simple, Mr. Sorvino said in a widely aired video interview. She was born to her parents in 2012 (age 10 years). Mr. Sorvino almost abandoned the role. Shane Olivea wife: Who was Shane Olivea married to? He was one of the motley crew of heavily made up villains, Lips Manlis, assembled for the highly stylized crime drama Dick Tracy, starring and directed by Warren Beatty. She continued in another post, "I have been dreading the death of my parents my whole life. I love him so much. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. ", In the 1970s, he acted alongside Al Pacino in "The Panic in Needle Park" and with James Caan in "The Gambler," reteamed with Reiner in "Oh, God!" Mr. Sorvino received a Tony Award nomination for best actor in a play and reprised the role in a 1982 film adaptation. Mr. Sorvino later played an egotistic, money-hungry evangelist with a Southern accent in the comedy Oh, God! (1977) and God Himself in The Devils Carnival (2012) and its 2015 sequel. Sorvino had dealt with health issues in the last years of his life. Then That Championship Season came along, starting with the Off Broadway production at the Public Theater. She wrote: However, when the Bad Impulse star discovered this, he expressed anger while talking to TMZ. My heart is rent asunder," Mira Sorvino tweeted Monday. By clicking Accept All Cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Year should not be greater than current year. There will never be another Paul Sorvino, he was the love of my life, and one of the greatest performers to ever grace the screen and stage," Dee Dee said in the release. All rights reserved. As mentioned above, Mira Sorvino is not the only child that Paul nurtured as a father. He is 16 years old as of July 2022. View agent, publicist, legal and company contact details on IMDbPro, Growing Kenzie-Gennaro Mini-Series Dreamcast, Remembering Those Who Passed Away in 2022. He finished shooting Pursued and The Ride while My Jurassic Place and The Chameleon was yet to be completed. She also has a brother named Michael Sorvino, an actor. Sorvino was born on April 13, 1939, and raised in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn. He later transitioned into films and television and is most known for his roles in "Goodfellas" and "Law and Order. My heart is rent asunder- a life of love and joy and wisdom with him is over. After the actress shared her emotional tweets, fans responded to her candor by offering her love and support. We will review the memorials and decide if they should be merged. There was a problem getting your location. Please contact Find a Grave at [emailprotected] if you need help resetting your password. Thank you for fulfilling this photo request. In the early 60s Sorvino made a living singing at charity balls. His father, Ford Sorvino, was an Italian ( Neapolitan) immigrant who worked in a robe factory as a foreman. he was 83. "My father the great Paul Sorvino has passed. He stated: As per his IMDb profile, Sorvino had several projects in his kitty that were on the verge of completion. Sorvino is most known for his role in "Goodfellas." As a movie buff I'm kicking myself for not knowing the Paul Sorvino was Mira Sorvino's Dad! Please enter your email address and we will send you an email with a reset password code. "All were touched by grace-hope & light filled us as we expressed our love for our beloved father as he now dwells in the heart of Our Father. All rights reserved. Discovery Company. (Image via Ron Galella/Getty) As mentioned above, Mira Sorvino is not the only child that. All of Paul Sorvino's three children are from his first marriage to Lorraine Davis. He was the most wonderful father. All Rights Reserved. On Tuesday, the Mighty Aphrodite actress, 54, thanked legendary New York City restaurant Sardi's for hosting her family as they paid tribute to Paul, who died July 25 at the age of 83 from natural causes. Her father's family were Italian immigrants. Sorvino, who founded the Paul Sorvino Asthma Foundation, is survived by his wife, Dee Dee, whom he married in 2014, and his three adult children, including Amanda and actors Mira Sorvino and Michael Sorvino, as well as five grandchildren. (Getty Images), DAVID WARNER, TITANIC ACTOR, DEAD AT 80. This browser does not support getting your location. In 1973, he was George Segals movie-producer friend in A Touch of Class and a mysterious government agent in The Day of the Dolphin.. Sorvino is survived by his wife and three children, including actress Mira Sorvino, and five grandchildren. Paul Sorvino had three children Paul Sorvino with his daughters and first wife, Lorraine Davis. Dee Dee Sorvino issued a statement through Neal, saying in part: Our hearts are broken, there will never be another Paul Sorvino., Born in Brooklyn, New York, Sorvino earned a Tony nomination for his role in That Championship Season (reprising the role in the film version) and appeared in a long list of movies that included portraying Henry Kissinger in Nixon, Dick Tracy, Reds, and The Rocketeer.. Ghanaian songstress and actress Hajia4Real. Mira Sorvino and her husband Christopher Backus. Grow your brand authentically by sharing brand content with the internets creators. Paul Sorvino Biography - Facts, Childhood, Family Life & Achievements Paul Sorvino, who distinguished himself in a long line of stage and screen performances including Goodfellas and Law & Order, died Monday of natural causes, according to his rep. Phil Cerreta on NBCs Law & Order, but he found the shooting schedule too demanding and difficult on his voice. He married Lorraine Davis, an actress, in 1966, and they had three children before divorcing in 1988. Her father discouraged her from becoming an . He died of natural causes the morning of July 25 with his wife by his side, having dealt with health issues over the past few years. Flowers added to the memorial appear on the bottom of the memorial or here on the Flowers tab. He received critical praise for his role in the Broadway play "That Championship Season", and played the role again in the 1981 film alongside Robert Mitchum and Martin Sheen. Advertisement. His real name was Paul Anthony Sorvino. Most recently, in 2018, when the movie mogul Harvey Weinstein was on trial for criminal sexual acts and Mira Sorvino had accused him of harassment Mr. Sorvino predicted that Mr. Weinstein would die in jail. Resend Activation Email, Please check the I'm not a robot checkbox, If you want to be a Photo Volunteer you must enter a ZIP Code or select your location on the map. He received a Tony nomination for his role in "That Championship Season". Sorvino, who founded the Paul Sorvino Asthma Foundation, is survived by his wife, Dee Dee, whom he married in 2014, and his three adult children, including Amanda and actors Mira Sorvino and Michael Sorvino, as well as five grandchildren. Two grandsons and two granddaughters are his offspring. Phil Cerreta on "Law & Order" in the show's early years. In 1982 Sorvino returned to the role of Phil Romano in That Championship Season in which he had appeared on Broadway in 1974 when playwright Jason Miller adapted his Pulitzer Prize-winning play for the bigscreen. I am heartbroken., Sorvino, who was the father of actor Mira Sorvino, was perhaps best known for his role as Sgt. Paul Sorvino Obituary (2022) - Monterey, CA - Monterey Herald - Legacy.com Please try again later. Paul Anthony Sorvino (1939-2022) - Find a Grave Memorial Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. Mike Logan, for a single season in 1991-92. He was born to his parents in. 2009, hence, he is currently 13 years old. Frank Cerreta on NBCs Law & Order, as Mafia don Pail Cicero in Martin Scorseses beloved gangster film Goodfellas and as Kissinger in Oliver Stones Nixon., Mira Sorvino tweeted, My father the great Paul Sorvino has passed. Paul Sorvino, an imposing actor who specialized in playing crooks and cops like Paulie Cicero in "Goodfellas" and the NYPD sergeant Phil Cerreta on "Law & Order," has died. Editor at Ghanafuo.com! However, not many people know that during his lifetime, Paul Sorvino did not just father his exceptional daughter Mira but two other kids. Close this window, and upload the photo(s) again. Failed to remove flower. Millions of high-quality images, video, and music options are waiting for you. Mr. Sorvino, almost five years younger than Mr. Bologna, wore old-age makeup for the role. Paul Sorvino - Biography - IMDb In a press release shared by Paul's publicist, Roger Neal, it was announced that the actor died Monday morning with his wife, Dee Dee Sorvino, by his side. "Thank you so much @SardisNYC for the perfect memorial repast you hosted for Dad. appreciated. [on Scorsese not winning Best Director Oscar] It's an outrage, in my mind. ", Paul Sorvino has died from natural causes, according to his representative. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account. He happens to be the third child of his parents. Please complete the captcha to let us know you are a real person. Please logout and login again. 'Goodfellas' actor Paul Sorvino dies at 83 - ABC News Sorvino attended the American Musical and Dramatic Academy and appeared in a long list of cinematic and television roles that included portraying Henry Kissinger in "Nixon" (1995), "Dick Tracy" (1990), "Reds" (1981) and "The Rocketeer" (1991). Paul Sorvino - Wikipedia Taking to her Twitter handle on July 26, the 54-year-old star wrote a heartfelt note for her "wonderful father.". Bosomtwi Enoch is a writer who has interest in general news, entertainment, lifestyle, politics and many more. Oops, we were unable to send the email. My heart is rent asunder a life of love and joy and wisdom with him is over. He started a career as an advertising . Paul was born in April 1939 in Brooklynn. You better believe it, gracious. He was a down-to-earth newspaper reporter in love with a ballerina in Slow Dancing in the Big City (1978). "She was sent to me by God. He is survived by his wife Dee Dee (Benkie) Sorvino, three children, Mira Sorvino, Amanda Sorvino, Michael Sorvino, and grandchildren Mattea Angel Backus, Holden Paul Terry Backus, Lucia Backus, Johnny Christopher King Backus. Most of the time I was just another out-of-work actor who couldnt get arrested, he told The New York Times in 1972. He was 83. In his over 50 years in the entertainment business, Sorvino was a mainstay in films and television, playing an Italian American communist in Warren Beattys "Reds," Henry Kissinger in Oliver Stones "Nixon" and mob boss Eddie Valentine in "The Rocketeer.". Follow me on my official Facebook and Instagram pages: @blayaw. Backus, Holden Paul Terry, and Backus, Johnny Christopher King are Paul's grandchildren. Paul Sorvino, 'Goodfellas' actor, dead at 83 | Fox News The actor is also survived by several grandchildren, including four children whom Mira shares with her husband, actor Christopher Backus: Mattea, 17, Johnny, 16, Holden, 13, and Lucia, 10. But in a half-century screen career, Mr. Sorvinos characters were often on the wrong side of the law. Paul Sorvino Dead at 83 | Playbill Sorvino married his wife Dee Dee in 2014. Paul Sorvino in 1976. Mira Sorvino wrote on Twitter on Monday, My heart is rent asunder- a life of love and joy and wisdom with him is over. Paul Sorvino and family attend the Farm Sanctuary's 20th Anniversary Gala for Farm Animals May 20, 2006 in New York. ). cemeteries found within kilometers of your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list. Your login session has expired. You have chosen this person to be their own family member. Mira Sorvino - Biography - IMDb Mira tweeted in response. Sorvino is also the father of actress Mira Sorvino. Learn more about merges. He was born on April 13, 1939 in Brooklyn, New York City, New York to mother Marietta (Angela Maria Mattea Renzi) Sorvino and father Fortunato (Ford) Sorvino. Mira Katherine Sorvino was born on September 28, 1967 in Manhattan. He happens to be the third child of his parents. Legal Statement. He was currently playing Frank Costello on "Godfather of Harlem.". Make sure that the file is a photo. Mr. Sorvino worked as a waiter and a bartender, sold cars, taught acting to children and appeared in commercials for deodorant and tomato sauce. Celebrity Family Feud. His "tough guy" image followed him throughout his career. I'm sending you love in the stars Dad as you ascend.". He spoke fluent Italian and originally aimed to become an opera singer. In 1963, he received his Actors Equity card as a chorus member in South Pacific and The Student Prince at the Theater at Westbury on Long Island. Mr. Sorvino began making bronze sculpture in the 1970s and considered his nonperforming arts work particularly satisfying. Paul Sorvino, Master of the Mild-Mannered Mobster, Dies at 83 I love him so much. He played a corrupt senator in Welcome to Acapulco, a spy-comedy film, and the crime boss Frank Costello in the Epix series Godfather of Harlem.. Family members linked to this person will appear here. Quickly see who the memorial is for and when they lived and died and where they are buried. I love him so much. Include gps location with grave photos where possible. "Our hearts are broken, there will never be another Paul Sorvino," Sorvino's wife, Dee Dee Sorvino, said in a statement via the late actor's publicist. Kevin Surratt Jr. Instagram page, family pictures, videos, Glen Glazar children: Meet Jude and Gwen Glazar, Glen Glazar family, wife, children, parents, siblings, John Aniston children: Jennifer Aniston, Alex Aniston, Jay Weston parents: Meet Philip , Shirley, Hajia4Real tops Twitter trends following U.S. jail reports, Sulley Muntari, Agyeman Badu, Asamoah Gyan, others visit Christian Atsus family home, VIDEO: Government will be fully involved in providing Christian Atsu a befitting burial Dr. Bawumia, Christian Atsus mortal remains arrive in Ghana via Turkish Airlines, Maybe I created enemies along the line Kofi Amoabeng on UT Banks collapse, Christian Atsu was one of Ghanas finest personnel Akufo-Addo. A graduate of The American Musical and Dramatic Academy. Learn more about managing a memorial . This is a carousel with slides. "The love of my life & the most wonderful man who has ever lived is gone . According to the release, Paul who is survived by wife Dee Dee, whom he. His signature roles included mob boss Paul Cicero in "Goodfellas" (1990) and a performance on the long-running police drama series "Law & Order". On TV, he played NYPD Sgt. He played, among others, Chubby de Coco (Bloodbrothers, 1978), Lips Manlis (Dick Tracy, 1990), Big Mike Cicero (How Sweet It Is, 2013), Jimmy Scambino (Sicilian Vampire, 2015) and Fat Tony Salerno (Kill the Irishman, 2011). Paul as previously stated is the father of three children, in this article, we will be diving into his personal life to know the number of grandchildren he has from his three children and who they are. Photos of Paul Anthony Sorvino - Find a Grave Memorial My father the great Paul Sorvino has passed. Italian-American, with ancestry from Vomero, Naples, Campania, and Casacalenda, Province of Campobasso, Molise. Paul Sorvino - Photo courtesy of GIO_LE on SHutterstock. He made his Broadway debut in the 1964 musical "Bajour" and his film debut in 1970's "Where's Poppa? Sorvino is most known for his role in "Goodfellas.". The film also starred Robert Mitchum as the former basketball coach and Bruce Dern, Stacy Keach and Martin Sheen as other members of the team that gather for a reunion that will, in fact, see much disharmony come to light. I had confidence in my ability, and I was angry as hell when other people didnt recognize it.. Im sending you love in the stars Dad as you ascend. Who Are Paul Sorvino's Three Kids, And What Do They Do? - TheThings He was born to his parents in 2009, hence, he is currently 13 years old. He would often say that while he might be best known for playing gangsters, his real passions were poetry, painting and opera. memorial page for Paul Anthony Sorvino (13 Apr 1939-25 Jul 2022), Find a Grave Memorial ID 242005161, citing . Please enter your email and password to sign in. They said that Paul died of natural causes. Mira is Paul's daughter with his first wife Lorraine Davis, with whom he also shares son Michael and daughter Amanda. When you find the spine of a character, Mr. Sorvino said, it makes all the decisions for you., That didnt happen, he recalled, until one day when he was adjusting his necktie, looked in the mirror and saw something in his own eyes. "My father the great Paul Sorvino has passed. Your account has been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in attempts. Paul Sorvino Net Worth, Biography, Family, And Cause Of Death! In addition to his wife, he is survived by children Mira, Amanda and Michael and 5 grandchildren. Sorvino married his wife Dee Dee in 2014. He was born in New York on April 13, 1939. Paul Sorvino, who starred in "Goodfellas" and "Law & Order," has died. Try again later. His mother, Angela (Renzi), was a piano teacher, of Italian descent. He was the most wonderful father. Paul Anthony Sorvino was born in Brooklyn to Italian Americans. For memorials with more than one photo, additional photos will appear here or on the photos tab. His character, Paulie Cicero, was a local mob boss lumbering, soft-spoken and ice-cold. Paul Sorvino Dies at 83 His Wife of 8 Years Was with Him & Is Actor. Streamline your workflow with our best-in-class digital asset management system. In July 2004, he was awarded the "Premio per gli Italiani nel Mondo" at a ceremony in Rome. Are you sure that you want to delete this memorial? 3:36 PM EDT, Mon July 25, 2022. In 2012 he directed the indie film The Trouble With Cali, scripted by his daughter Amanda Sorvino. He married Dee Dee Benkie, a Republican political strategist, in 2014. He is 16 years old as of July 2022. Robyn Lively, Lori Lively, Eric Lively, Jason Lively: Meet Blake Lively siblings. Mira Sorvino Mourns Death of 'Wonderful Father' Paul Sorvino at 83 Paul Sorvino, 'Goodfellas' and 'Law & Order' star, dead at 83 Was named as "King of Brooklyn" at the "Welcome Back to Brooklyn" festival in 1993. Paul Sorvino, the tough-guy actor and operatic tenor and figurative sculptor known for his roles as calm and often courteously quiet but dangerous men in films like Goodfellas and television shows like Law & Order, died on Monday. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. Paul Sorvino was an actor known for his performances as Paulie Cicero in "Goodfellas" and NYPD Sergeant Phil Ceretta in "Law & Order.". Are you sure that you want to delete this photo? Learn about how to make the most of a memorial. His original career dream was to sing he idolized the Italian American tenor and actor Mario Lanza and he began taking voice lessons when he was 8 years old or so. Weve updated the security on the site. Mr. Sorvino continued to sing professionally, making his City Opera debut in Frank Loessers The Most Happy Fella in 2006. I love him so much. In the 1976 movie I Will I Will For Now, starring Elliott Gould and Diane Keaton, Sorvino, playing a lawyer in this sex farce, was the only good thing in it, said Roger Ebert. . She was the love of my life. You may not upload any more photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 20 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 5 photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 30 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 15 photos to this memorial. 0 cemeteries found in Hollywood, Los Angeles County, California, USA. ", He went on to earn a Tony nomination for his role in the 1972 play "That Championship Season.". The prize is distributed by the Marzio Tremaglia Foundation and the Italian government to Italian emigrants and their descendants who have distinguished themselves abroad. My heart is rent asunder- a life of love and joy and wisdom with him is over. Sorvino, who founded the Paul Sorvino Asthma Foundation, is survived by his wife, Dee Dee, whom he married in 2014, and his three adult children, including Amanda and actors Mira Sorvino and Michael Sorvino, as well as five grandchildren. Lucia Backus on the other hand is the youngest among Pauls grandchildren and the second granddaughter of the late actor. After his first child, Mira, was born, he wrote advertising copy for nine months, but the office job gave him an ulcer. All photos uploaded successfully, click on the Done button to see the photos in the gallery.