Mr Taylor said Whittingham's eyes were "wide open and were almost completely white" having rolled to the back of his head. The news of Peters sudden and untimely passing has shaken us to our very foundation. Former Aston Villa star Peter Whittingham tragically died after falling through a pub fire door and hitting his head, an inquest heard.. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. Aston Villa and Blackburn both paid tribute to their former player. "Then, as a professional footballer - as a Bluebird - he excelled with talent, ease, grace and humility. Match of the Day: What fans can expect as show returns this weekend. Ex-Premier League footballer Peter Whittingham dies at age 35 - CNN One wrote on Twitter: "Incredibly sad news. DC Jenkins, who led the investigation, said the CCTV footage from the Park Hotel was from a single camera that covers the corridor between the downstairs bar and the smoking area at the back of the premises. Something went wrong, please try again later. Since the news of Wittingham's death, fans have taken to social media to pay tribute to the former midfielder. The head injury he was suffered came as a result of a fall in a pub in Barry. Meanwhile, Cardiff released a statement, reading: It is with an immeasurable amount of sorrow that we must inform supporters that Peter Whittingham has passed away at the age of 35. The Police said in a further statement on Thursday that a file of evidence is being prepared for the coroner. The head injury he was suffered came as a result. Peter Whittingham is said to have suffered an accidental fall at a pub. dead at 35. A Warner Bros. Home of the Daily and Sunday Express. "Enquiries are continuing into the circumstances of the incident.". Whittingham led the Welsh giants to the Premier League for the first time in 2013 as Championship winners, and also helped them to the 2008 FA Cup final, where they lost 1-0 to Portsmouth. They are at the forefront of our thoughts and, on their behalf, we ask for their privacy to be respected at this unfathomably cruel and difficult time. First and foremost, Peter was a family man and somebody who could light up a room with his sense of humour, warmth and personality. Whittingham, an ex-England Under-21 international who started his career with Aston Villa, sustained a head injury in a fall at a pub in Barry on March 7, 2020, where he had watched an England vs Wales rugby match with friends. This service is provided on News Group Newspapers' Limited's Standard Terms and Conditions in accordance with our Privacy & Cookie Policy. What was his cause of death? She said she woke at around midnight to find her mum banging on her door. Cardiff City legend Peter Whittingham tragically died after falling through a pub fire door and hitting his head, an inquest heard. Putting names to archive photos, The children left behind in Cuba's mass exodus, In photos: India's disappearing single-screen cinemas. "This has led to a traumatic head injury.". appreciated. During a period of horseplay with a friend and relative he appears to have lost his balance and gone through or caused to open the fire door, fallen, and his head has come into contact with the steps.. Former Cardiff City midfielder Peter Whittingham has died aged 35. CARDIFF CITY legend Peter Whittingham has tragically died at the age of 35. Our love goes out to his wife Amanda, their young son and family. I thoroughly enjoyed working with him during my time at Cardiff City. The Championship club confirmed the former Bluebirds midfielder had died after a police statement earlier in the week that he was in a critical condition in hospital. The Sun website is regulated by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO), Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. "I was the first person there and offered him my hand thinking he would just take it and he would get up on his feet. She said: I hope [our children] will be proud and comforted by their daddy's life and not overshadowed by details we are about to hear about his cruel death., Get the FREE Mirror Football newsletter with the day's key headlines and transfer news straight into your inbox. Thoughts go out to his family.". The hearing was told how Mr Whittingham had been drinking for hours while watching Wales v England in the Six Nations. One of the best players to play in the Championship. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family, rest in peace Whitts was too young, Whittingham played under current Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in 2014, and the Norwegian called him an incredible human being.. Then, as a professional footballer as a Bluebird he excelled with talent, ease, grace and humility. Whittingham is survived by wife Amanda, who is currently expecting their third child. I just know he had hit his head on the small step on the stairs. Mr Lewis said he then went to watch the CCTV, describing seeing horse play, and said he felt satisfied there was no fight or any act of aggression. When I looked more closely I could see he was not moving and something was wrong.. Whittingham, who scored 98 times in 459 games for the Bluebirds, is survived by wife Amanda. RIP. Taylor said he recalled people wanting to take photographs with Whittingham in the pub corridor, which led to steps taking guests to an external smoking area, but also said he had no memory of play fighting or Whittingham falling before he noticed him on the ground. Blackburn said: Rovers are deeply saddened to learn the news that former midfielder Peter Whittingham has passed away, aged 35. But he said the evening was a blackout, and had no memory of the former footballer falling. My deepest sympathy to your family x Heart broken x., You my friend will received by the heavens with open arms. Cardiff City legend Peter Whittingham tragically died after falling through a pub fire door and hitting his head, an inquest heard. At around 9pm a female customer alerted him to the incident, saying: Someone's been knocked out." 2023 Cable News Network. The ex-Bluebirds midfielder, who died last year aged 35 and is regarded as one of the club's greatest ever players, sustained a head injury in a fall at a pub in Barry on March 7 last year. Whittingham, 35, suffered a traumatic head injury at the Park Hotel pub in Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, on 7 March 2020, and died in hospital 11 days later after failing to regain consciousness. Mr Hughes ended the hearing by passing his deepest condolences to the family and friends of Mr Whittingham. Visit our corporate site (opens in new tab). RIP". To inquire about a licence to reproduce material, visit our Syndication site. He died. A medical cause of death was proposed as subdural hematoma operated. Peter Whittingham death: Tributes paid to Cardiff City Im proud to have played alongside you and will always remember the young vs old games and you just running the show. A statement by Ryan Taylor is now being read to the inquest. A medical cause of death was proposed as subdural hematoma operated. The coroner recorded a conclusion of accidental death. He left the club later that year for Blackburn Rovers, where he made 20 appearances before leaving in 2018. ", The midfielder's tragic death has led to an outpouring of grief on social media, Peter Whittingham dead at 35: Cardiff legend leaves behind pregnant wife after suffering fatal head injuries in pub fall, Jon Jones vs Ciryl Gane - UFC 285 LIVE RESULTS: Latest updates as Bones returns in HUGE heavyweight title clash - latest, Chelsea owner Todd Boehly 'leaning towards KNOCKING DOWN Stamford Bridge', with new stadium 'most likely option', Man City's Kyle Walker locks lips with wife despite history of cheating including love child and orgy with hookers, Mystery US bidder joins Qataris and Ratcliffe in final Man Utd takeover stage, but Joel and Avi Glazer not keen on sale, Misfits Boxing 005 LIVE RESULTS: Jay Swingler fight DECISION, Tag team clash ends WILDLY, Astrid Wett WINS, Liverpool vs Man Utd betting preview: Tips, predictions, boosted odds and sign up bonuses for Premier League clash, Sam Allardyce sues 'thug in a suit' Irish property developer for 3.5million, Mercedes could be forced to SCRAP car for Lewis Hamilton to have a chance of winning F1 world title, Toto Wolff admits, Billionaire Jahm Najafi to target Everton takeover after meeting Daniel Levy for first time, rushed to hospital after an incident on Saturday March 7, Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO). When I looked more closely at Peter, I could see he wasn't moving and something was wrong," he told the court. The loss of Peter will be painfully felt by our city, supporters and indeed all who ever had the pleasure of knowing him. Nicholas Davison, a friend of Whittingham and his brother-in-law Robert Williams, said the group were in a round of drinks and drank "between six and 10 pints" and had a "round of shots" at The Park pub. He described seeing light-hearted play fighting which evidently involves no malice whatsoever and they are all smiling throughout. Whittingham was taken to the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff following the fall, but his condition deteriorated and he died on March 18, 2020. The inquest heard that several pints and shots were consumed by the group at the Park pub. South Wales Police released a statement on Wednesday revealing what happened after social media users had speculated about his condition. "I just know he had hit his head on the small step on the stairs. Another said: "What a tragedy. By March 17 he had been off sedative drugs for a number of days but neurological recovery remained poor. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. He was rushed to hospital but failed to regain consciousness, sadly passing away 11 days later. Thank you for signing up to Four Four Two. Thoughts are with his family and friends.. I dont even remember much of the following day.. Im proud to have played alongside you and will always remember the young vs old games and you just running the show. . Whittingham played in two major cup finals for Cardiff - the FA Cup final in 2008 and Carling Cup final in 2012 - and won a Championship winners' medal in 2013 as Cardiff were promoted to the Premier League. Whittingham suffered serious head injuries at a pub in Barry from what South Wales Police described as an. "At this stage there is no evidence or suggestion of a criminal act, and it appears the injury was caused by an accidental fall. It is with an immeasurable amount of sorrow that we must inform supporters that Peter Whittingham has passed away at the age of 35. Cardiff City FC (@CardiffCityFC) March 19, 2020. The former Cardiff City midfielder Peter Whittingham died after falling down stairs at a pub following a drunken play fight with friends, an inquest has been told. The former Cardiff playmaker suffered head injuries at a pub in Barry on March 7 from what South Wales Police have described as an accidental fall. The official England teams and English Football League Twitter accounts also paid tribute, with the latter describing Whittingham as a @CardiffCityFC and EFL legend. He was also part of the defeated 2012 League Cup final side who took Liverpool to penalties after a 2-2 draw. Thoughts go out to his family. In a statement shortly after the incident Mr Williams said: I have no idea what happened to Peter. "Enquiries are continuing into the circumstances of the incident.". For other inquiries, Contact Us. Coroner Graeme Hughes said Whittingham had "consumed a quantity of alcohol that has likely impacted on his demeanour and steadiness" before he fell.