At the same time, I'm very mindful to suggest activities outside of food. For those wondering, Peloton offers subtitles in case you wanted to take Dwenger's classes but don't speak German (you might also learn a new language!). I loved the accountability piece associated with it as well. The way she inspires motivates people to improve and enhance themselves. With her sculpted abs and superhero arms, its hard to believe that Peloton trainer Tunde Oyeneyin ever battled obesity. What you may not know about her is that before she was a fitness trainer, she was a makeup artist for 16 years. Amanda Gorman on Wellness, Her Favorite Hair Accessories, and How She Gets Into the Writing Zone, Christy Turlington Is Noble Panaceas New Fundamental Changemaker in Residence, Well Intentioned: Courteney Cox on Staying in the Moment and the Pursuit of Olfactory Happiness, Groove Is a Psychological Construct: Behind the Science of a New Music Therapy App, Hoyeon on K-Beauty, Red Hair, and the Top Dermatologist Tip She Swears By. Fortunately, you can play music, or more particularly, Spotify on Peloton. Follow. Everyone began to cheer as she started an energetic pep talk to hype us up. "I want people to come and have wins," the 35-year-old . "And if I speak to that one person, then my mission is accomplished.". Her father passed away in 2012, and her younger brother also passed away shortly after. "There may be someone, if it's only one person, that will be inspired and who's wanted to do it too," Oyeneyin said. Any information published on this website or by this brand is not intended as a substitute for medical advice, and you should not take any action before consulting with a healthcare professional. What book was written by Tunde Oyeneyin? You dont have to wait for this ultimate breakdown to happen or for you to be completely empty [before focusing on replenishment], she says. Peloton cycling instructor Tunde Oyeneyin is pictured before and after she buzzed all her hair off during Women's History Month. "At the end of that 45-minute experience, I knew that I would be cycling for the rest of my life.". I've always been drawn to leading and teaching. She said: I focus on crafting my classes with music that drives you.. For me, it needs to be fun. Tundes story is the motivation, while the members story is each persons goal. I struggle just like everyone else. "So many of the same elements are infused in both worlds," she said. But if you prepare your body and mind for these efforts, you can tackle them feeling uplifted rather than depleted, Oyeneyin says. S.P.E.A.K. I felt as though I was home. As I sat in his office waiting, my heart was thumping out of my chest. King also said that throughout her professional pursuits, she's always taught dance, so becoming a fitness instructor wasn't a huge stretch. I was able to defy those odds and decided that I really wanted to move my body.". She is also a former makeup artist from Houston, Texas. Other times if shes not feeling the scroll, shell fire up a podcast or some tunes instead. "I think beauty is an attitude. Her headspace as she prepares to tackle her to-do list. 3,047 following. Her working playlist will definitely make you feel on top of the world when leaving the classes. You dont just lose weight and then just magically stay there. Before stepping into Peloton, Tunde worked as a makeup artist in LA for more than . (. One fan tweeted their favorite motivational quote from the ridewriting, "They might knock you down but they will never knock you out." Rachel Paula Abrahamson is a lifestyle reporter who writes for the parenting, health and shop verticals. A post shared by Tunde Oyeneyin (@tune2tunde), Finally, her hairstylist said to her, "Tunde, you wouldn't keep dead plants in your house. When I feel secure in my body, meaning I feel supported in the clothingsomebody needs to do research because theres got to be science to back thisbut I feel like when my outfit matches, when I look cute when Im working out, I give a little bit more. As POPSUGAR editors, we independently select and write about stuff we love and think you'll like too. is an acronym: surrender, power, empathy, authenticity, and knowledge. Peter and Kristen surprised with workout from Peloton star Cody Rigsby. We're not here to twiddle our thumbs.". Tunde felt uncomfortable in her body and even avoided laughing too loud so as not to draw attention to herself. The former celebrity makeup artist also recalled loving every time her mother would wear her hair short because you could fully see her face and confidence. She recalled always being "the biggest girl" in class. She often talks about mental health on social media and is honest with her followers about her own struggles. In October 2020, Peloton's Christine D'Ercole told Insider that she wanted to be a ballerina while she was growing up. From the age of 15, Tunde Oyeneyin started working as an assistant manager at a restaurant called Fuzzys Pizza. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and Your California Privacy Rights. 12 Snacky Items That Will Make Any Spread Feel Fancy and Special. When looking back, Toussaint said that it was his discipline from years of military school and his rhythm from being in marching band that made him a natural on the spin bike. However, through the years, she worried she would not look or feel feminine and dwelled on what others might think. Tunde Oyeneyin on life-changing moment that led her to Peloton. Before I started at Peloton, I was a makeup artist for 16 years, and I hated it. I experienced what I call this blue-light experience, where I feel this wave of energy move through my body from my ears to my toes, she recalls. And throughout Butler and Arzn's first pregnancy, she taught Peloton's firstprenatal classes. Oyeneyin also mentioned that her hair wasn't in its healthiest state and was damaged and dry. According to her Instagram page, Arzn is now the head instructor at Peloton and a VP of the company. As tears rolled down her face, she shared, "When that sound came on, I realized that I was doing it for myself. So as silly as that may sound, its definitely part of my tool belt when Im working out. Tunde's parents emigrated to the United States from Nigeria for work. If life is like riding a bicycle, youll want Oyeneyin supporting your journey every mile of the way. After a few years, she made the switch to go full-time. But this list of new stars wouldn't be complete without the fitness instructors who helped millions of people get through some of the most challenging days. Then, in 2016, an instructor at a local fitness studio in Los Angeles (where I was living at the time)decided to take a chance on me. Oyeneyin is known in the Peloton community for her motivation, tough love, and ability to have necessary conversations about topics like the Black Lives Matter movement. Toole also takes these important conversations to the bike by teaching rides like the World Mental Health Day class(which over 120,000 Peloton members took). When she started working at Peloton as a cycling instructor, Tunde Oyeneyin always felt that she had to bring a special mission to every girl in the world. She will bring this spirit to every classroom in Peloton. Quick, easy, and satisfying meals for the win. If you lead with the thought that it was not supposed to be easy, then maybe it makes it easier because you look at people doing things and you think, 'It's so easy for them. Even though she found her true calling in fitness, she could never abandon her love for beauty. Before moving to New York for Peloton, Toole was a boxing instructor at Rumble in Los Angeles. Many of them have hundreds of thousands of followers, partner with huge brands, and have been featured by major outlets, includingVogue, ESPN, Today, Vanity Fair, and more. Do you still run? No, I dont. Its a lifelong, forever journey. But, as shes learned, its not necessarily the specific events, or even the number of activities, that can drain you. But the 36-year-old navigated. She moonlights as the Brooklyn Nets in-arena host and founded her own company Love Squad. But even Peloton didn't come easy to her at first. Tunde also took part in the Deal or No Deal Competition in 2009. With the positive energy that Tunde brings, her members will have fun experiences when taking her classes. I knew that this was the exact spot I was meant to be. But I still felt like I was trapped in the room for 60 minutes. SELF sat down with Oyeneyin to chat about how the meal replenishes herand how it just might hit the spot for you too. Her family is quite poor, but her parents always tried to hide this from her. And even after starting as a Peloton instructor, Dwenger continues to share his favorite healthy meals and workouts on social media. Here, Tunde shares some of the secrets to her success. "Absolutely, your quads or glutes assist you in a squat, but your mind first tells you that you are capable of pressing the weight in that squat. Why Trust Us? It wasn't until I saw the blue check next to his name that I realized, OMG, this is really happening. How Peloton guru Tunde Oyeneyin stays balanced and productive - Slack Tunde Oyeneyin Reveals Process for Creating Peloton Classes - PEOPLE.com By Tunde Oyeneyin and Faith Brar Published on March 29, 2021 And while Rigsby's classes and social media are peak fun, his journey to where he is today hasn't always been easy. In May 2020, Toussaint even taught one of the pro-athlete filled Peloton races that aired live on ESPN. She overcame all difficulties and changed herself. "I love my hair being long because I felt like it made me look, and more so even feel, very feminine," Oyeneyin said. BecauseYo used to be a Buddhist monk in Thailand. Thats when the weight started coming off. Without having to cut the melon or make her own dressing, it can be ready in less than five minutes, Oyeneyin says. Tunde Oyeneyin is a first-generation American of Nigerian descent. So being involved in Nike is her mission and her honor. ", "But I really wanted to do it," she continued. In December 2020, Oyeneyin told Vanity Fair that she didn't land the gig after her first audition. Now, I think about how I can strengthen and reward it., 16: The number of years Tunde worked as a makeup artist before switching gears to start a career as an instructor, Tunde shares her inspiring story in her first book, Speak, which hit shelves in May (it's one of our best beach reads for summer!). They said I would never become an athlete, and that I may get arthritis from walking by the time I'm 15 years old. Peloton members know Cody Rigsby as the life of the party who you can always count on for a RuPaul's Drag Race reference or Britney Spears fangirl moment. The two also welcomed their first child together, Anaya, in August 2020. And everything that I told myself about why I should not do this, is not true. The perfect tummy control bodysuit, a popcorn gadget, more bestsellers starting at $8. I was OK.", "Why would you choose to do this now?" One look at their social media pages and you'll see what we mean. Your mind controls everything," she told Today . The project was performed on the Instagram Live series. (The 36-year-old is also a Revlon brand ambassador, so she didnt have to give up all the glamour for blood, sweat, and tears. "Girlfriend, I feel like you'd use that product for three days, and you just feel like you get a second skin, new and fresh and ready to go I love it so much," Oyeneyin said of the serum. . But at the same time, I was afraid to be seen. How can we improve Feltracing? I want people to know that even though Im in the fitness world, Im human too. Clean. You dont just magically do it, and then youre set, which is why I go back to this idea that you have to come back to your why. Certified from NASM for the personal instructor. The Truth About Peloton Instructor Tunde Oyeneyin - TheList.com Long. As Tundi said: I want to be able to share with them that their mind is their strongest muscle and that they can do anything that they believe themselves able and capable of doing or being., Tunde Oyeneyins playlist is so powerful. I set out to lose weight, but what I gained along the way has been far more rewarding: a sense of self-understanding, confidence, and everlasting friendships. And eventually, Yo told People that he realizedhe needed tobecome a monk himself to fully understand his roots. As a long-time fitness expert, Oyeneyin has witnessed firsthand the lack of diversity in industries including health & wellness and fitness. With her own experience, Tunde Oyeneyin will inspire everyone who takes her class and make a change with them. And the fitness star and best-selling author was more than happy . Tunde Oyeneyin joined Peloton as a trainer in September 2019. Her essentials for those on-camera sweat sessions are the ColorStay Makeup For Combo/Oily Skin ($10), NARS Exhibit A Blush ($30), which she also uses in the crease of her eyes, and the Revlon So Fierce! Her mantra is: "Your mind is your strongest muscle." "Ultimately, your mind controls the way you see your entire life. Eventually, I worked up the courage to take an aerobics class. During an October 2020 episode of A Sweat Life's podcast, King revealed that she'd actually never used a spin bike before her Peloton audition. And so, we're going to dive into everything you need to know about your favorite teachers, as we uncover the untold truth of Peloton instructors. Tunde Oyeneyin is a first-generation American of Nigerian descent. In SELFs new franchise, The Meal I Eat When Im Feeling, we talk with chefs, celebs, athletes, and people in the culinary space about the specific foods or meals they turn to amid certain emotionsand how eating their favorites plays a vital role in their self-care. "Everything that I was fearful of, wasn't true," said Oyeneyin. Surrendering to that . You can have 17 things that are high priority on that list, and if you are fresh and in a good state of mind, then those 17 things can feel easy, like just part of the day ahead, Oyeneyin tells SELF. to Usher Joining Season 2 of Peloton's Dance Cardio Classes, Indoor Cycling Instructors Reveal Their Go-To Tricks for Powering Through Class, The Peloton Bike+ Really Is Every Rider's Dream Come True. Tunde Oyeneyin/Instagram. '", And for people who say they don't have the time to exercise or pursue whatever other goal they dream of,Oyeneyin has this simple but powerful advice: "Do it anyway and be consistent. What they might not know about, however, is the near death experience that led to swap fitness for litigation. When you look good and feel good while youre working out, you get a better workout in. Oyeneyins watermelon and feta salad can be a snack or a meal, though if shes eating it as the latter, she often looks for ways to boost the protein to make it more filling and balanced. "I got into makeup because I loved gifting people with confidence. Eight months later, she got a second chance and "made sure the second time they couldn't say no.". While her latest look will be a surprise to many, it's something she's wanted to do to inspire others. Oyeneyins day-to-day can be physically taxing: Her cycling classes, bike boot camps, and new full-body strength routines are known to be sweatfests to the tens of thousands of Peloton subscribers who tune in to each one. Tunde Oyeneyin is one of Peloton's top instructors. Address: 738 Venice Way Inglewood California 90301, Copyright 2008 2022 Feltracing.com Comprehensive Felt Racing for 2022. She revealed: I remember knowing I was this fun person, but I would never laugh too hard. This second audition was filmed in support of the Black Lives Matter campaign. Now, it has a fantastic array of machines accompanied by the most impressive instructor program. Empathy is lovenot just love for others, but its rooted in self-love. When Oyeneyin first started making the salad at home, she says she felt like she was onChopped. And despite the fact that I was in a class full of people, it felt as if she was speaking directly to me and only me. Peloton Instructor Tunde Oyeneyin Is Coming to the DC Area - Washingtonian Airpods are one of the optimal headphone types to connect with Peloton if you expect an effective and flawless workout experience. In December 2020, Tunde Oyeneyin officially joined the Peloton team. However, she has 60 classes with German subtitles, no Spanish subtitles classes, and 502 classes equipped with English subtitles. Tunde Oyeneyin has one of the best diverse classes in terms of music. ), It was after receiving a divine download of information from her first cycling studio class that Oyeneyin switched gears and rerouted her life plan. Tunde Oyeneyin knows firsthand what it means to dig deep in order to find motivation to go on. Im just trying to cleanse my head and space. "I just thought it was so cool, but I always said, 'That's something I'll do when I'm retired. Watch the Reel More Let's create great change. Before hopping on a bike, Oyeneyin was a makeup artist for over 15 years. While many of the Peloton instructors have interesting backstories, Yo's might take the cake. I was devastated. That was when I knew I needed to make a change. It's a memoir about life and then it's a guide to this level of trust that I've built within . Here are two social media accounts you can visit: On her social network, Tunde would like to take advantage of these platforms to make the world a better place and launch a variety of social projects. But what Peloton members might not know about Dwenger is that before he got into fitness, he was a musician. She led Speak Up Ride, took a stand for Black Lives Matter, and launched SPEAK movements. Hearst Magazine Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. After covering up her fresh cut for almost a week, her new look was revealed during the Women's History Month ride on Saturday with the intention of inspiring others to do what she did. ", Oyeneyin's journey has shown her that anything is possible, and that's the spirit she incorporates into everything she does at Peloton. Tunde-Oyeneyin-loves-sharing-her-experience-to-motivate-members. And my gratitudeIm never gonna stop thinking that all of this, everything thats happening, is so cool. Long before Oyeneyin even became a global brand ambassador for Nike, she was a professional makeup artist and beauty brand educator. How Tunde Oyeneyin Went From 'Last One Picked' to Peloton Instructor. "Recovery" is a loose term. This isn't a before and after - Tunde Oyeneyin - Facebook But, at the same time, that understanding is the driving force for her members to get out of limitations and pursue their goals. The book Tunde writes is SPEAK which tells her own stories and speaks for people who have a lot of unhappiness in their lives. I need to lose more weight and then Ill be happy." the most suitable sessions for those who want to get thinner, https://www.facebook.com/tundeoyeneyinpeloton, Peloton Cycling Director who is Cody Rigsby, How to Connect Airpods to Peloton: An Ultimate Guide, Leveraging Your Workout By Connecting BlueHeart To Peloton, Playing Spotify on Peloton Perfect way to enjoy your workout, How to High Five on Peloton The Ultimate 2022 Guide. She demanded that we riders give our absolute best, and somehow, even though this was my first time meeting her, I was determined to not disappoint her. Cycling instructor Tunde Oyeneyin opens up about fear of cutting off What would we talk about? For the past few years, Peloton has been fine-tuning its devices better to suit people's needs for a healthier lifestyle. The makeup routine she follows when she's teaching is just as serious as her skin-care regimen but only if she's on-camera. After spending so much time cleaning the studio, Toussaint asked the owner if he could audition to be an instructor. Tunde Oyeneyin Shares Her Wind Down Wisdom - SELF Both my mother and father are Nigerian, and I am a first generation American originally from Houston. I call it the 'this ain't daycare' kind of energy. . But after just 30 seconds of speaking with John, I was completely at ease. In case you are not clear about the way to play Spotify on Peloton, the following by James Roland | Aug 31, 2022 | Using the Bike & Tread, Peloton. Growing up in Texas, Tunde wasnt the confident athlete you see today, she admits. It is no doubt that music is one of the most effective tools to boost your energy and mood during working out. Ill throw some hemp seeds in there because they dont really have a lot of flavor, or even some pecans or walnuts for a nice little dash of protein, Oyeneyin says. You can watch this video to acknowledge Tunde Oyeneyis life and how did she overcome all her difficulties: S.P.E.A.K. This work is as hard as if she were taking care of 4 children. Both afford me an opportunity to make peoples' lives better.". How could I relate to him? This was when Tunde Oyeneyin realized she had to change. The Peloton instructor said, "Self talk is about embracing where I am, not judging myself, and reminding myself that I am bigger than a smaller pair of pants. As I took the class, I couldn't help but notice how unapologetically herself Robin was. (, When I left the class, I knew there was something special about Peloton. With her positive spirit, the content she shares always attracts a large number of fans to interact and discuss. "While I lost the weight, my journey has been more about what I've gained," she told Insider. She is also a fitness and health influencer, so there is a lot of effective information about healthcare on her social network accounts. "People are always asking me, right? My mom ended up sewing together two of the dresses that didnt fit to make one dress. Despite that amazing, transformative moment in my first boutique indoor cycling class, it took months to muster up the courage to audition as an instructor. But when my soul is good, Im better able to show up for you., You can find new ways to continue to train your body as it evolves. Tunde Oyeneyin she/her. "My hair was dead and there was just this energy of this dead weight on my head and I could feel it," she said. D'Ercole also started teaching spin classes at Soul Cycle, but she never got comfortable there. I want to talk to the girl who thinks that she is not an athlete. If I feel like a quick 15-minute training session and a stretch, very similar to what I did this morning, then thats what I do. The only difference between you and the person doing your dream job or doing what you want to do is consistency. Absolutely, your quads or glutes assist you in a squat, but your mind first tells you that you are capable of pressing the weight in that squat. She has over 325,000 followers on Instagram and as of September 2020, she started sharing photos with her boyfriend Joseph Nicholas. It was hard but "if something's important to you, you'll find a way to make it happen." Cycling seems like a simple subject, but it actually takes a lot of skills and specialized lessons to bring good results. I remember knowing I was this fun person, but I would never laugh too hard, Oyeneyin revealed. Homepage - Speak Tunde 585k Followers, 3,047 Following, 1,188 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Tunde Oyeneyin (@tune2tunde) tune2tunde. "We think something is so hard, we allow ourselves that scapegoat. And her social media pages are no different. One of those interviews was with John Foley, the CEO and co-founder of Peloton. If you're a fan of the workout program, you've probably taken one of her classes before and know her for her high energy, contagious smile, and bright lipstick. Tunde Oyeneyin has 608 classes in total. After discovering a newfound love for a "routine lifestyle," Yo left the monastery for London, where he made fitness his new life goal. Roughly a year later, Cody asked me to audition again. "I feel so me. When not editing or writing, she can be found teaching Pilates as a comprehensively certified instructor. 585K followers. From helping cyclists feel empowered on and off their bikes to spurring new digital communities (at Slack, our #pelotonians social channel is buzzing), experts like Tunde are leading the way in the new and growing field of connected fitness. When eating it for dinner, she loves to serve it as a side to grilled or blackened shrimp too. At first, I thought it was a joke. Peloton Bike vs. Bike+: Which One is Right for You? I think that motivation is staying dedicated and committed to any one thing. When Im not fortunate enough to be in Santa Monica, I have ocean sounds on my music player. (!!!). A watermelon and feta salad with onions, mint, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and a touch of honey balsamic glaze. I stumbled across this picture last week while I was away in Texas. Thats what it feels like when you make this salad, because its all kind of random, but it comes together so beautifully. It also comes together quickly, which is a huge benefit when youre preparing a meal with the goal to reduce stress, not add to it. If a friend got a promotion, I'll say, "Let's go on a really long walk with our dogs." When Im in doubt, I SPEAK. Its so cool.. Instead, she focuses on 30-minute classes (198 classes). The key to getting her products to stay, even during those extra sweaty rides, is simple she relies on waterproof everything. April 21, 2021. Tunde Oyeneyin regularly teaches Peloton classes to thousands of people at a time. . Rachel lives in the Boston area with her husband and their two daughters. I didnt do that before. I didnt want anyone to notice me.". Tunde Oyeneyin on Instagram: "This isn't a before and after photo. This Cody was very impressed with Tunde Oyeneyins teaching style, so he sent letters directly to her and requested auditions and casting via Instagram DM. This article originally appeared in the September 2022 issue of Women's Health. For her, Thats a lot of power and a lot of responsibility. The 5-foot-7 cycling instructor, who is known for encouraging riders to push themselves to their mental and physical limits, shared her journey to health in a conversation with TODAY below. These classes have had everything from an in-house live DJ to drum circles with other Peloton instructors. I was determined to make my dreams come true. We dont get to choose what happens to us, she says. Ultimately, your mind controls the way you see your entire life. I love taking my shoes off and walking around in the grass. The biggest beauty stories, trends, and product recommendations. I wasn't worthy of it. This traumatic experience is what got Arzn into fitness. The Physical and Mental Health Benefits of Indoor Cycling, Yes, I'm Fat I'm Also a Damn Good Yoga Teacher, The Best Peloton Instructor to Match Your Workout Style, Peloton's Ally Love Isn't Here for One-Note Wellness Routines, A Chance Encounter Creates a Major Opportunity, Inspirational Workout Quotes That'll Keep You Motivated, Finding Purpose Through My Peloton Family, What It's Like Being a Black, Body-Positive Female Trainer In an Industry That's Predominantly Thin and White, Jessamyn Stanley Quit Yoga Years Before Becoming the Namaste Boss Babe She Is Today, Peloton Instructor Kirsten Ferguson On Becoming a Mom After Miscarriage, Peloton Instructor Jess King Is Pregnant After a Fertility Journey That 'Was Not Easy', Peloton's Adrian Williams On the Importance of Family, Fate, and Rest and On Taking an Emotional Lap, Peloton's Olivia Amato Reveals Why She Changed Her Path From Finance to Fitness, Bradley Rose Almost Quit Fitness for Good Until He Joined Peloton, Peloton's Tunde Oyeneyin Shares How She Grew to Become the Confident Queen She Is Today, Peloton Instructor Tunde Oyeneyin Spills the Details On Her Morning Routine, Peloton's Selena Samuela On Recovering and Flourishing After Unthinkable Heartbreak, For Jess Sims, Her Rise to Peloton Fame Was All About the Right Timing, The Best Peloton Trainer to Match Your Workout Style, This Cycling Instructor Pedaled Through Tragedy After Losing Her Mom to ALS, Peloton's Camila Ramn Is Blazing a Path of Body-Positivity for the Latinx Community, You'll Be Saying 'Yeah!' How Peloton Instructor Tunde Oyeneyin Moves Through Doubt to - Vogue But the 36-year-old former makeup artist from Houston, Texas, knows what its like to break down crying in a fitting room. About three months after I accepted the position, I taught my first Peloton Live class in September 2019. Prabal Gurung and JCPenney partner to launch empowering new collection shop the best pieces! The class in question is currently rated an intimidating 8.6 out of 10 on the platform's difficulty scale, and when I take her up on the challenge, I find that the bodyweight section includes jump squats with heel clicks, push-ups, and so many burpees, I literally . And after taking her class, I realized that each and every instructor at Peloton had something truly special to offer. My parents are both immigrants who came to this country to work.