Some of the rowdiest, loudest, most despicable (in a good way, if you ask me) atmospheres Ive ever seen at a college basketball game have been at The Octagon of Dome. Its that way pretty much every time K-State welcomes KU to town. WVUs fanbase fiercely backs its athletics, and mens basketball is one of its favorites. 9 biggest college basketball arenas | NCAA.com I know the dynamic may change since it's Utah-Utah State. Now thats what you call home court advantage. It still remains one of college basketball's special gyms. I have attended a Purdue game at Mackey before, and it was one of the loudest things Ive ever experienced (no, it was not the game below). Im nobody, but its 2021 and the internet is ubiquitous, so get ready for my opinion, world! I've been to Duke. The following is a list of German indoor arenas for handball games. 14. It has become the hub of one of the most impressive programs in the sport and been an important piece of Gonzagas climb into the national limelight. With a seating capacity of 23,500, it's the largest off-campus home for a Division I team in the country. No matter if its blatantly obvious that the call is correct, Iowa State fans will boo it and boo it with purpose if it goes against their Cyclones. Like we did for the top 10 upsets of the last decade and the 10 best uniforms in college hoops, we arrived at this overall top 10 ranking by averaging the responses, with more weight given based on the 110 scale. "The Barn" opened in 1928, and thanks to several renovations and upgrades over the years, it stillupholds the strong tradition of Golden Gophers basketball. The Coliseum has been dubbed as one of the finest facilities for collegiate basketball, and with the student sections placed deep behind both baskets, fans have no choice but to scream, cheer and boo for the duration of the game. He's also tied for second on the team in scoring, averaging 10.7 points, while leading the team and ranking in the SEC's top 5 in steals. I remember getting to the line and it was so loud my ears started to hurt, and I think for a split second I lost my focus, Gay would later say of his miss. That's historically been the case at Provident Credit Union Event Center. It is also fitting, perhaps, that the winningest program in college basketball history plays its' games here on these hallowed grounds. How Tolu Smith, students in banana costumes helped Chris Jans build So yes, the midwest knows its noise. The students are given prime seating right along the sideline opposite the benches, and they are very fond of dressing up in ridiculous costumes, throwing around foam pool noodles, general shenanigans, and launching disparaging remarks as opponents. For non-Duke fans, it's another reason to loathe the Blue Devils. Opened in 1989, the mayflower shaped . A tremendous venue for college basketball. . At least it gets those dag nab bit iGoogle Crapple Twitterbooks out of their hands. It opened in 2004, several decades later than the majority of arenas to crack this top 25. Hoosier fans can dial it up. Its like playing basketball at Boeings jet-engine testing facility. With arguably the most passionate fans in college . The way the arena is designed, the students are given the sections along almost all of the sidelines, as well as a giant wall that looks incredibly intimidating from below. Matthew Knight Arena, Oregon Its the largest domed structure on a U.S. college campus and can hold over 35,000 for hoops games, as it did for a February 2014 game against Duke where it set the arenas record for an NCAA mens basketball game. Fans absolutely pack out the place to the point of bursting, and with the old-timey concrete and wood and giant windows allowing the sun to shine through, the feeling is uniquely incredible. The Jack Breslin Student Events Center is a 16,280-capacity venue that is home to the Michigan State Spartans men's and women's basketball teams. On a consistent basis, the atmosphere at the Dean Dome is not elite. The atmosphere is even more special during afternoon games when the daylight shines through the windows amid the throngs of spectators. The MAC, or even more commonly, The Kennel, is even smaller than Cameron Indoor, with a capacity of only 6,000. The stadium itself is actually 37 feet below street level due to the fact that it was built on a mesa. They know how loud those can be. Carrier Dome Carrier Dome, Syracuse | 34,616 seats The Carrier Dome is the largest in college basketball. Ranking The 5 Best US College Basketball Arenas | Austadiums ESPN The Magazine's Loudest Arenas 1. The Pit is 37 feet down into the crust, funneling the vocals and screams from the red and white down onto the court. Rated 5 / 5. Ushers and concession employees are fabulous. It also helps that the Blue Devils are among the best in the land every season. #newmexico #lobos #thepit #basketball". Here are the best college basketball stadiums in the NCAA If youre ever lucky enough to walk through the doors at this historic venue, you can feel its age, history, and importance to the game within moments. That's not far off, as the school also boasts that no other arena has hosted more games or opponents than The Palestra. The ceilings are incredibly high, the floor is raised, and you can feel the history of the place even through the TV. The Pit - Dreamstyle Arena 13. The fearsome and historic Cameron Indoor, which opened way back in 1940, earns the top spot on our list. Thats about as loud as Rupp Arena gets, which is still pretty darn loud. That atmosphere, combined with the rise of the Zags as a program, has helped the team compile an astounding .924 winning percentage at McCarthey, losing only 16 times since its opening in 2004. If he could do it again, he'd attend Degrassi Junior High, Ampipe High and Grand Lakes University. Playing at home can make all the difference in college basketball. Home court matters. The atmosphere at Illinois waned some during the long stretch of years when the program wasnt really a factor in the Big Ten, let alone on a national scale. However, it still offers a somewhat intimate atmosphere near the court when filled. Lets go to the decibel meter. From 2005 to 2018, Kansas won every single Big 12 regular season title 14 to be exact. 1.1M. NBA Preview 2021-22: Who Claims the Crown? The Pit in NM is one of the loudest college basketball stadiums in the 486. What is the largest basketball arena? So it's clear that playing at home can make a big difference in college hoops, especially when you have dedicated fans and can pack an arena. The Value City Arena is located on the campus of Ohio State University and is home to the Ohio State Buckeyes. Jan 12, 2023. Assembly Hall, Illinois 9. Its a cool setup, good atmosphere and the fans are involved constantly.. Kentucky isnt just a passionate fan base, its kind of rabid, and thats no insult. 15 Best College Basketball Arenas in the USA | 2022 Rankings Who can forget Jim Valvano running around the floor of "The Pit" looking for someone to hug after North Carolina State's shocking upset of Houston in the 1983 national championship game? The school allows wealthy donors to have the best seats in the house, and those fans dont have a reputation for getting loud. These two are clearly a cut above the rest and host some special atmospheres in the scheme of this sport. Theres close to 6,000 students at Allen Fieldhousethree times more than Dukeand theyve earned the title of loudest college arena. Many sell-out arenas will average about the same noise level, but vitriol adds an extra slice to the tympanic membrane, and now they take that venom from the ACC to the Big 10. That adds to the atmosphere, which the fans complete. When looking at the east coast venues, Dukes Cameron Indoor Stadium stands above as the loudest and most turbulent environment to play. And, of course, it witnessed much of the Hoosiers 197576 undefeated seasonthe last perfect season in men's college hoops. Their efforts in particular gives The Kennel one of the best atmospheres in college basketball. What is Rupp Arena used for? - Heimduo College Basketball's Top 10 Arena Nicknames - AthlonSports.com The arena is the home venue for the University of Arizona Wildcats' men's and women's basketball teams. ACC's venues ranked according to difficulty - ESPN.com During the Big 8 Conference finals, former OKU wrestling coach Myron Roderick said, "It got s loud, lot f the lights busted n Gallagher. Dash and steal the ball from your opponent in head-to-head matches! Discover loudest college basketball stadium 's popular videos | TikTok As visiting teams will agree, it can be more intimidating than it looks especially when filled to capacity as the sound is contained well due to the building's configuration. The Roundhouse, as its known for reasons that should be self-explanatory, the Shockers forged one of the best home records in the country for years in the building. Regardless of the team, the atmosphere has the potential to be electric, especially if the matchup is right. The Hilton Coliseum is a 14,267-capacity arena that is home to the Iowa State University Cyclones men's and women's basketball teams, as well wrestling, gymnastics and volleyball programs. The "Cathedral," which seats roughly 8,700, opened in 1927, and even after recent renovations it has not lost its charm while remaining the trendsetter for other great college basketball venues that followed. Best Atmospheres of College Sports Arenas - Team Fan Apparel If there was one place I dreaded the Buckeyes going to every year, it was the Breslin Center in East Lansing. I know the name changed. Amusing, possibly, but since thats patently foolish, they can scream for Tom Crean. "The Phog" exudes basketball history upon entrance and remains a must-see for any college hoops fanatic. Wichita State has a hidden gem of an atmosphere. The atmosphere at the Spectrum isnt what it was in the 2000s, and for that it just barely misses out on my top 25. But you wont find many arenas in this sport with a better atmosphere at its best. Over the past two seasons, Duke is 33-0 at home the past two seasons and hasnt lost an out-of-conference game at home since Feb. 26, 2000. College basketball's top 15 home-court advantages since 2005, per Allen Fieldhouse is one of college basketball's most . The Best College Basketball Arenas, Ranked | 2aDays The arena seats 16,300 spectators and ESPN The Magazine referred to the stadium as the loudest for college basketball in the country. Dayton's home arena is not flashy, but it's the place where the madness of March officially begins with the First Four. Ranking the SEC Basketball Arenas - starcademedia.com Discover short videos related to loudest college basketball stadium on TikTok. So loud," Mike Roberts, radio voice of the Lobos from 1966 to 2008, said in an ESPN story, "you can feel it in your bones.". 30 toughest college basketball arenas to play in. I can remember watching many Arizona home games over the years where the crowd was absolutely out of its mind, with Derrick Williams game-saving block against Washington in 2011 the first example I think of. Top 5 Largest College Basketball Arenas in NCAA Division I Sports #3: KFC Yum! On Feb. 13, 2017, 16,300 fans in attendance at Allen Fieldhouse set the Guinness World Record for the loudest crowd roar at an indoor sporting event (130.4 decibels). 5. The cushioned seating is a nice touch while still not taking away from the intense atmosphere that's usually associated with Cyclones basketball. Though the Panthers have been down the past three years (but off to a 7-2 start in 2019-20), the students are still at their creative best, tastefully (of course) finding ways to mock the opponent. There is zero controversy in saying this ACC fans will chase you down a long, busy hallway for no reason other than to make sure you know that College Park is hell on earth and Terps fans are the scum of humanity, you know, for your own safety. Big Ten basketball players vote on the league's loudest gym. Also known as The Barn, Minnesotas Williams Arena is one of the most unique in the sport. Jordan-Hare Stadium, Neville Arena named loudest college football Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. What is the largest college basketball arena? This is my list, and in my world, its The Pit. The arena is relatively tiny, seating just a bit more than 9,000 people at one of the premier basketball entities in the game. A Chicago native, Jeff Mezydlo has professionally written about sports, entertainment and pop culture for nearly 30 years. The Mountaineers take huge pride in how Bob Huggins coaches his players to play, and that passion comes out during games through tons of noise, a super-rowdy atmosphere, and really one of the more vicious college basketball settings in the country. It has been called The Loud House and once registered a decibel level of 120. The Razorbacks are celebrating the 25th season of basketball at their arena named after Walmart's co-founder. The Carrier Dome is a domed arena on the campus of Syracuse University, home to the Syracuse Orange football, basketball and lacrosse teams. 1 of 13 The loudest arena in college basketball has given the Duke Blue Devils the best home-court advantage for more than a decade. Every section that lines the edges of the court is filled with students, well known as the Cameron Crazies. No matter where an opposing player or coach turns, they will inevitably come face-to-face with a teenager painted blue with veins popping out of their head as they not-so-politely explain how bad their enemies are at what they do. I lost partial hearing for days on multiple occasions after basketball games, and sometimes my voice would go, too. With the largest student section in the country at 7,800 seats, Assembly Hall is far from a friendly site for opponents when its rocking. Wichita State games are the real deal. Gallagher-Iba Arena, Oklahoma State 10. But it suffers from a similar problem that Rupp and the Dean Dome do, as well as some other arenas across the country big-money donors get the priority seats, students are relegated away from the action, and the atmosphere suffers. Good luck inbounding the ball with dozens of blue extended wiggling fingers casting a hex on you. That announcer was ESPN's Dave O'Brien, and he said the Hilton Coliseum was "louder than anything in the ACC.". Top 5 Loudest CBB Arenas? It is loud, so much so that it agitates the marrow buried deep within. 14 Petersen Events Center;. Virginia Cavaliers: John Paul Jones Arena, opened in 2006 A decade ago, a trip to Charlottesville, Virginia, was nowhere near the toughest in the league. Kentucky has won 89.5% of its all-time games at Rupp and has only lost eight of the 132 games it has played there under John Calipari, to give you an idea of just how much of a home court advantage the Wildcats enjoy. Students have prime seating behind the bench areas and stretching to behind one of the baskets, which is very helpful to creating one of the most raucous atmospheres in college basketball. Since Xavier began play there in 2000-01, it's won more than 250 games in the building. Still, the Razorbacks have had one of the most formidable home atmospheres in the SEC for some time, knocking off tons of ranked teams at home in the 2010s despite missing the NCAA Tournament more often than not. Purdues Terone Johnson said in The Gazette, It gets ridiculous. MacKey Arena 9. Students are extremely engaged from the start to finish of every game, and the 7,000-seat GCU Arena is often rocking. All Rights Reserved. Rank Arena Team Capacity Opened; 1: Rupp Arena: Kentucky: 23,500: 1976: 2: Thompson-Boling Arena When filled to capacity of more than 10,000, the noise level surrounds the floor, leaving little room to escape for the opposition. Since 1928, Hinkle Fieldhouse has been at the center of it all and was named as a National Historic Landmark in 1987. Thats Metallica-concert loud, or just a shade below. It's loudreal loud thanks to a famed student section known as the "Oakland Zoo." Ten arenas where full capacity crowds will be missed most - 247Sports The McCarthey Athletic Center is a 6,000-seat indoor arena on the campus of Gonzaga University that is home to the university's Bulldog basketball program. Basketball Arena - Sports Game on the App Store Why is it called Mackey Arena? | Dependable In a video released by NCAA.com, it says, It's twice the. As a kid growing up in Columbus, Ohio, I was an Ohio State fan. Great sightlines. Students are placed a couple sections deep behind both baskets, plus with sections into the 200s on the east end, meaning theres no escape for opponents no matter which basket theyre attacking. Big Ten Basketball Arenas, Ranked Before I go further, let's outline the criteria I'm using for these very definitive rankings: atmosphere, home-court advantage, banners, history, and name. Mar 8, 2015; Minneapolis, MN, USA; Penn State Nittany Lions guard D.J. The 9,314-person capacity at Cameron is far smaller than many of Dukes blue blood competitors, but it makes for a tight, cramped and electric atmosphereespecially when that team in Carolina blue comes to town. Are there times where Assembly Hall falls victim to older fans with money taking up the best seats and spending the entire game sitting down? Im sure some will say this top-10 placement is based on bias, which Im willing to give some credence to. McKale Memorial Center (Arizona) Widely regarded as one of the best venues in North American college sports, the McKale Center is . The only team that seems to have cracked the code to succeeding there is BYU, which had won three straight in The Kennel before Gonzaga knocked the pesky Cougars off this past February. I have never seen a fanbase so ready and willing to boo anything and everything. Not many venues can claim they play in a dome, but thats what the Syracuse Orange do. The arena's primary tenant is the Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball team. The Pit," as it's more affectionately known, Why NCAA Tournament bubble teams should be wary of this team, 16-year-old Padres prospect already drawing superstar hype, Seven Cubs pitchers combine for spring no-hitter vs. Padres, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones comments on Tony Pollard rumor, Ben Simmons suffers back injury while rehabilitating, Insider: It's Packers, Jets 'or bust' for Aaron Rodgers, QB Anthony Richardson doesn't understand his 'project' label, Vikings HC reveals 'crazy' thoughts about star WR, XFL player released for giving another team plays from own playbook. David Aldridge writes on Duke Report.com: The Crazies have become known as one of the most clever student sections in sports, but I think many guys come into the arena looking forward to hearing what theyll come up with. Many fans have complained about the quality of the arena, but thats for a separate discussion. The United Center has the highest capacity of any current NBA . The arena broke the Guinness World Record for the loudest indoor roar on Feb. 13, 2017, against West Virginia at 130.4 dB, breaking the record Rupp Arena established less than three weeks. 5. USA - College Basketball Arenas | Page 24 | SkyscraperCity Forum The 12th-ranked Volunteers announced that Zeigler tore his left ACL in a win over Arkansas. The Cats have led the nation in . If youre tasked with traveling to Rupp Arena, it will not be easy or pleasant. Consistently ranked among the best college basketball arenas in the nation in terms of attendance and overall acclaim, "The Pit," as it's more affectionately known, has housed the Lobos since 1966. Their Allen Fieldhouse has been helping them with the home-court advantage since 1955 and continues to be one of the best in the country for college hoops. Some are steeped in tradition, while others offer modern-day amenities but still remain a pain for the opposition. The last few years, The Izzone hasnt quite been as engaged as it was when I was growing up, and so maybe the Breslin Center has dropped a couple of spots since then. to see one of college basketball's great facilities up close. You could argue Maryland should be a bit lower if you want, but you cant say its inclusion on this list and at least near the top 10 isnt warranted. Top 25 college basketball arenas - redbull.com Payne Whitney Gym 8. Hype remains around Texas A&M men's basketball team's season finale How much better does it get? ALLEN FIELDHOUSE, KANSAS 2. Considered one of the rowdiest places to watch college basketball, Oklahoma State's arena is named for two of the school's greats: basketball coach Henry Iba and legendary wrestling coach Hank Gallagher. When the Orange are struggling, the arena can look cavernous with empty spots, yet when Jim Boeheim's program is playing well it truly is the "Loud House." 1. Charles Koch Arena (Wichita State) Big Game Boomer . Come on: "Hoosiers" was filmed here. The KFC Yum! The New York Knicks' stadium is an iconic landmark of the NBA's rich history. It provides a solid combination of comfort and intimacy, which makes for quality basketball viewing. for the loudest crowd roar at an indoor sporting event (130.4 decibels). 2023 ABG-SI LLC. 15 Best College Basketball Arenas 2. It's consistently one of the most well-attended arenas in the Pac-12, and why not? The same goes for the University of Kansas, who recently won the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship in 2008. Williams remains one of the more unique arenas in the nation, particularly for the player seats below the raised court, meaning it takes some effort to check into the game and run the famous Minneapolis floor. When Gonzaga played at North Carolina last season, members of the school's athletic department made the trip to see one of college basketball's great facilities up close. I believe that a home crowd can make a difference in a game it takes a player on the court to hit a shot and a coach on the sideline to call the play, but the fans at Kansas have won games for their team on many occasions. Their fans are great, but they have no filter. The 30 Toughest College Basketball Arenas to Play In KU's Allen Fieldhouse is literally the statistically loudest arena in all of of College Hoops. Mackey Arena is also one of the loudest college basketball arenas in the country. The student section at men's basketball games, known as the Buckeye Nuthouse, is seated behind the team bench as well as behind the basket that the opponent shoots at during the second half, which allows them to be visible during television broadcasts. That said, Kentucky fans are animalistic about their Cats. The Detroit Redwings throw octopi on the ice, so why dont Hoosier fans throw chairs onto the court? The students fully embrace The Barnyard nickname, and its normal to see them wearing outfits emulating various farm animals, crops, and other farm-related items. But things have changed under eighth-year . As Virginia has improved under Tony Bennett, so too has the atmosphere at John Paul Jones Arena. McCarthey Athletic Center - Gonzaga The McCarthey Athletic Center is a 6,000-seat indoor. Ive felt like Hilton was on the verge of riots on a handful of occasions, particularly when Kansas comes to town. O'Connell Center, Florida 6. Shows how loud assembly hall can get. This is one of the best college basketball arenas in 2022 as it has state-of-the-art facilities and a capacity for a maximum of 17,472 seats. With the smaller size and acoustics in Hinkle mean the screaming fans, particularly the students, are magnified even more. A loud crowd makes any sporting event better, so here's our list of the top 25 loudest stadiums.Arrowhead Stadium holds the record for the loudest stadium having recorded a noise level of 142.2 decibels. Theres a reason they say, Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of the Phog, because Allen Fieldhouse is loud. Yes, definitely. Hailing from the ABQ, where the fictitious Walter White cooked his famous blue crystal meth, the Lobos home court is burrowed in the earth. In a video released by NCAA.com, it says. From 1928 until 1950, Hinkle was the biggest college hoops arena in the country; after a 1950 renovation (and a name change), Williams Arena became the largest -- a title it held until 1971. Celebrate March Madness at the top 8 college basketball arenas in the U From signs to body paint to shaking their hands in coordination at opposing players inbounding the ball, Duke clearly has one of the best student sections in the country, and by extension have one of the best atmospheres as well. But the potential is still there, and Utah State is still one of the toughest places to play in the Mountain West. The Crazies were issued a gag order of sorts as they were told from the powers that be to clean up the chants. If your teams arena didnt make this list, it doesnt mean your atmosphere is bad. 5. The Pete isnt what it was a decade ago, but thats much more the fault of the programs failures on the court than the fans in the stands. Capacity. If the fans are up for a game, even if Indiana isnt ranked or particularly good, Assembly Hall will be deafening. While the stadium may hold far less than its competitors, the electric atmosphere brings them high on the list. Quote Tweets. Explore a new way to challenge real players on this multiplayer Basketball game! Named after famed Kentucky coach Adolph Rupp, the home of the Wildcats is one of the most recognizable arenas in all of sports. Utah State has an Oakland Raider mentality without the knives and guns. You wouldnt think one of the more-recent entrants into Division I mens college basketball would have one of the best atmospheres in the sport, but Grand Canyon does. 2/20/2020 Tom M. Boiler Up! The arena is built in a way that fans appear to be almost on top of the players, intensifying the environment and adding to the noise potential. In addition to being one of the loudest in the nation, the arena has also helped Kansas compile a 140-3 home record since 2007, statistically one of the best in all of sports. In 2017-18, the Musketeers set a single-season home record with 17 victories. Few venues can match the uniquely designed Assembly Hall when it comes to noise. The Dunk is quickly becoming one of the loudest college basketball arenas in the country, and another raucous sell-out crowd was on hand last night. All that said, the biggest reason Kansas State is here for me is because of how it gets up for the Kansas game, which has made that contest a must-see and something I look forward to every year. With this in mind, we polled our college basketball staff and asked them to rank what they feel are the 10 toughest places in the country for opposing teams to play. Shot from student section. But its still one of the premier crowds in the country for now. The student section, The eRUPPtion Zone, is one of the best ones in the country if only it werent relegated to a few sections behind one basket and a few more sections up in the rafters. And for that reason, the atmosphere at Rupp Arena is worthy of a very high place in the pecking order. Its crowds have reflected that, with the 10,250-seat arena being either at or near capacity night in and night out for the Musketeers, creating a hostile environment for any opponent hoping to come in and leave with a W. In fact, only three teams in the country have a better home winning percentage in their current arena than Xavier: Gonzaga, Oregon and Kentucky (though Kansas is right on the Musketeers heels). Theres a reasonable chance this arena will move into the top 25 if the Cavs keep up their spot near the top of the ACC.