Jacques Feeney/Getty Images. But having to say this is a pain but Ill say it every single damn time this is why I STAND and STAND PROUD and I have to say every single person involved with @dcfcofficial did too made me proud to wear this shirt with the boys today!!! Millwall fans group says booing players taking a knee was not racist A statement from the Millwall Supporters' Club on Sunday, however, said the boos were aimed at the 'Black Lives Matter'. No commitment. 'Millwall Football Club was dismayed and saddened by events which marred Saturday's game against Derby County at The Den. "More on this story: https://t.co/SCap9J1hYZ pic.twitter.com/xETM4W5oHB, Lions fans are no strangers to controversy. Play it now! He wrote: 'Reality is Millwall fans booing players taking a knee doesn't surprise many!!! Only 1 a week after your trial. Millwall supporters booed their own players while they took the knee in support of the fight against racism at The Den this afternoon. However, the return of spectators was overshadowed by the pre-match incident. Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group. I don't even like talking about the matter. and take serious action against this'. Players should be free to express their views as they wish and be respected after Millwall and Colchester fans booed their own teams taking a knee on Saturday, a Cabinet minister has said. "I know that footballers are role models in their communities and that's something where, at the very top, we can affect things the best we can and appoint the very right person for the job moving forward.". Millwall fans boo as players from both the home side and Derby took the knee prior to kick-off A section of Millwall fans booed as their players and Championship opponents Derby took a knee. Here's how Millwall fans reacted to players taking a knee at kick-off Section of crowd at Millwall vs Derby game start booing as players take a knee in support of Black Lives Matter movement ', 'I am sure it is something that does need looking at and addressing. Following the match, the Football Association (FA) said it "strongly condemns" supporters who "actively voice their opposition" to players taking a stand against discrimination. Fuck Millwall and any fans that boo. We are no longer accepting comments on this article. The Sun website is regulated by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO), Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. ", Glittering drama based on the audacious Brinks-Mat security depot heist, A corrupt copper and a Leeds gangster are bound together by decades of dishonesty. Millwall Football Club have finally released a statement following an incident which saw their supporters boo their own players for taking a knee in solidarity of the 'Black Lives Matter' movement. Interim Rams boss Rooney said: Its a sad thing to happen, a shame. "It was something we had prepared for but I'd be lying if I didn't say there are players who perform for us and their performances were affected by those supporters. Im not sure the county agrees., The TV presenter hit back and explained the origins of the protest, writing: Utter nonsense. ', Former England striker Dion Dublin said: 'To me, they are racist. Gary Rowett has been slammed for his comments after Millwall's defeat against Fulham on Tuesday night as he failed to condemn fans for booing the taking of a knee.. Passion for Real Sociedad runs as deep as San Sebastian's love for Basque culture and cuisine, Top 10 greatest FA Cup shocks after Grimsby stun Southampton, Infighting of Women's World Cup faves Spain, France, Canada reveals big issues in the sport. Millwall footballer Mahlon Romeo said his team's fans 'have personally disrespected not just me but the football club'. Read about our approach to external linking. "We are taking the next appointment extremely seriously in terms of not just what's right for football but what's right for society," said former England Under-21 international Rosenior, who played for a host of clubs, including Fulham, Reading, Hull and Brighton. "I was proud of my players and staff for not letting the fans deter them from continuing to present a positive and important message that taking the knee immediately before a game sends. "I'm pleased with how my team dealt with that," he added. Their actions have been greeted with criticism with videos of the incident doing the rounds on social media. Derby County caretaker manager Wayne Rooney has urged football fans to not "tolerate or accept" the actions of "mindless" fans who take part in discriminatory behaviour. ', Players from both clubs took a knee before kick-off as part of the on going fight against racism, Inbetweeners actor Blake Harrison said: 'Sad and embarrassed to be a Millwall fan today.'. Chelsea fans booed their team off the pitch at Stamford Bridge as they entered the half-time break level at 0-0 against Leeds United. That's it that's all that gesture is. Players and officials have been taking a knee since June to show their support for the Black Lives Matter movement. Pic: Jacques Feeney/Getty Images. The position was taken by National Football League (NFL) player Colin Kaepernick during the playing of the U.S. national anthem to call attention to racial injustice, and has been adopted by many sports players since. Millwall released a statement on Sunday that read: "Millwall Football Club was dismayed and saddened by events which marred Saturday's game against Derby County at The Den. 'Taking the knee, for us, is in no way representative of any agreement with political messaging or ideology. A vocal section of Millwall fans have been branded an "absolute disgrace" for booing as players took the knee in support of the Black Lives Matter movement. "What this demonstrates is that players are right to continue standing up to discrimination, whether that is through taking the knee or speaking out," he added. "It is purely about tackling discrimination.". 'Every time I've played there I've heard a form of racist abuse this has got to stop.'. The FA says it "strongly condemns" fans who "actively voice their opposition" to players taking a stand against discrimination. This only enraged Piers further as he responded: Youre comparing taking the knee as a protest against racial injustice to appeasing Nazis? 'The gesture of 'taking the knee' before matches provides an opportunity for us to do exactly that and continues to allow all those playing to publicly showcase their support - on behalf of the whole squad - for the fight against discrimination. Loud booing could be heard when players from both teams took the knee in support of #BlackLivesMatter movement before kick off, with at least one . American football player Colin Kaepernick started kneeling symbolically during the pre-game national anthem in the NFL in 2016, in protest at police violence against African-Americans in the United States. But that apparently didnt sit well with fans of London club Millwall, who used their first trip back the clubs stadium, the Den, to let both Derbys players and their own that they didnt appreciate the demonstration: Millwall fans boo as players take the knee.Loud booing could be heard when players from both teams took the knee in support of #BlackLivesMatter movement before kick off, with at least one supporter heard shouting "get up! I have spoken on the matter throughout my footballing life. said afterwards it was "disappointing and upsetting" to hear the booing from supporters. People must feel free to demonstrate their abhorrence to racism in their own way. 'To stand by their staff, and they have many black members of staff who are equally as hurt and are equally as damaged by the fact that their fanbase could dare to question what the players are trying to achieve.'. Thats my view. Fofana scored Chelsea's first goal in almost a month. Former Coventry and Aston Villa striker Dion Dublin, who had a loan spell at Millwall in 2002, added: "They don't agree with taking the knee, which means they are racist. Former England captain Rooney, whose side. Roared on by 2,000 fans - and what a great sight it was - the game got underway with The Lions creating most of the attacking play. Derby forward Colin Kazim-Richards, who is black, described the booing as an 'absolute disgrace' in a tweet after the match where he expressed pride in taking a stand against racism. ', Millwall boss Gary Rowett (left) said he was 'disappointed' by the fans' behaviour, while opposition manager Wayne Rooney (right) said it was 'surprising', The Premier League and EFL made the decision to replace the BLM slogan on shirts after growing concerns the movement has been hijacked by extremists. We won one nil and Dean Neal scored. 'The fight for racial equality continues and we will continue to work closely with clubs across the country to tackle discrimination in all its forms. However, several players and pundits took to social media to condemn the fans and call for action to be taken. Millwall's match was among the first in England to welcome fans back to the stadium in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, which had locked fans out of matches since March. By Kathryn Batte and Joe Davies and Katie Feehan For Mailonline, Published: 10:39 EST, 5 December 2020 | Updated: 07:31 EST, 6 December 2020. Proud of the staff. Trevor Sinclair, who was sacked by the BBC for racially abusing a police officer while being arrested for drink driving in 2018, slammed the Millwall fans. Players, officials and staff at Premier League and English Football League games have been taking a knee pre-match since football restarted in June in order to show their support for the Black Lives Matter movement for racial equality. Published: 10:59 GMT, 6 December 2020 | Updated: 17:26 GMT, 6 December 2020. It offended me, the players and everyone who works for this club. In return, Sunak loyalists are muttering, Theresa May is the true villain in this latest Tory Brexit war, Isolating with the ex: Lucy by the Sea, by Elizabeth Strout, reviewed, Hancock and Goves cringeworthy Covid love-in, Is Putin winning? A section of Millwall FC fans booed players who chose to take a knee. "The club do an enormous amount of work on anti-racism and the club do a lot of work in the community and there is some really positive stuff, so of course I am disappointed.". He told South London Press: 'What they've done is booed and condemned a peaceful gesture which was put in place to highlight, combat and stop any discriminatory behavior and racism. Proud of the club. He wrote: 'Reality is Millwall fans booing players taking a knee doesn't surprise many!!! Millwall FC players take a knee. 'What this demonstrates is that players are right to continue standing up to discrimination, whether that is through taking the knee or speaking out. Millwall fans who booed players taking the knee are hiding behind a racist lie A selection of supporters inside the Den on Saturday booed when players from Millwall and Derby knelt on the. It read: "The FA supports all players and staff that wish to take a stand against discrimination in a respectful manner, which includes taking of the knee, and strongly condemns the behaviours of any spectators that actively voice their opposition to such activities.". A much-needed victory today, what are your emotions? Chelsea fans were split come full-time as Graham Potter continues to divide opinions after a tough time at the Blues following a splurge in the January transfer window. Millwall Fans Boo Players Taking Knee for Black Lives Matter First Round of Matches With Fans After over nine months, fans are finally back in the stadiums, albeit at a limited capacity. The FA has designated different amounts of capacity slots to different city's, differentiated by tiers. Because you read about Piers explained that nobody is forced to take the knee in a democracy and that it would be nice if those who did choose to protest against racial injustice werent booed by racist morons. 'The club has worked tirelessly in recent months to prepare for the return of supporters and what should have been a positive and exciting occasion was completely overshadowed, much to the immense disappointment and upset of those who have contributed to those efforts. Taking the knee in sport to protest racial injustice began when NFL star @Kaepernick7 was advised to do it by Green Beret @NateBoyer37 who told him is was something soldiers did to mark their respect for fallen comrades that died in battle. Millwall say they are "dismayed and saddened" after some of their fans booed players taking a knee at the start of Saturday's game against Derby. So when these negative things happen in football or in society it brings people together and that is actually the message in taking the knee. Millwall 's Mahlon Romeo has issued a strong and emotional statement after the club's fans booed both sets of players when they 'took the knee' prior to today's game. M. illwall supporters loudly booed the Crystal Palace players taking the knee at the Den ahead of Saturday's FA Cup third-round tie. Sheffield United are looking to put Wednesday evening's defeat to Middlesbrough behind them when they travel to Millwall this weekend. View our online Press Pack. Taking the knee in sport to protest racial injustice began when NFL star @Kaepernick7 was advised to do it by Green Beret @NateBoyer37 who told him is was something soldiers did to mark their respect for fallen comrades that died in battle., Utter nonsense. Millwall say they are "dismayed and saddened" by the booing. Granit Xhaka revealed he did not want to wear Arsenal's shirt anymore after being booed by fans in 2019, with the midfielder crediting Mikel Arteta for convincing him to remain at the club. The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline. 'The players take the knee and the 2000 fans are booing. Infantino visited London this weekend for the . Insistence that the knee is the morally superior way enforces religious rituals. 2,000 supporters were. They said staff and volunteers have worked hard to enhance the club's reputation but admits there is still "much work to be done". RIATH AL-SAMARRAI: Newcastle gave 'assurances' they would not be controlled by Saudi Arabia, but that's under fresh scrutiny.